ATM which dispenses 30k (or more) per pull for foreign cards

tropo

Gone are the days I could cruise down to AEON at Tesco North Pattaya and pull 40k for free.

I have been around many ATMs over the last couple of weeks and the most I can do per pull is 25k at Bangkok Bank and K-Bank (only in malls). I've tried all the different colour banks at Central with no luck. I have an idea that some may dispense 30k per pull to Thai bank holders, but not foreign cards, forcing us to do more transactions at 180 baht per pull.

I'm using a MasterCard debit card and my bank is not the limiting factor and allows well over 30k THB per day.

Yes, Krungsri does.

But I am not aware about ATMs spending more than 30 notes (30000 Baht) anymore.

"Anymore": technically the AEON still could spend 100 notes as they did in the past.

But the crooks have limited to 20000 Baht for foreign cards to make more money from the fees.

So AEON is a no go today.

In this fairly recent thread there is a statement that TMB also dispenses 30k:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/756213-maximum-atm-withdrawl/

(its a popular recurring topic tongue.png )

BTW: not Pattaya specific this thread ...

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yes, Krungsri does.

But I am not aware about ATMs spending more than 30 notes (30000 Baht) anymore.

"Anymore": technically the AEON still could spend 100 notes as they did in the past.

But the crooks have limited to 20000 Baht for foreign cards to make more money from the fees.

So AEON is a no go today.

In this fairly recent thread there is a statement that TMB also dispenses 30k:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/756213-maximum-atm-withdrawl/

(its a popular recurring topic tongue.png )

BTW: not Pattaya specific this thread ...

Thanks for hunting down the old thread, but it is nearly a year old and things can change over that time and I was looking for fresh info.

I remembered some members mentioning the Krungsri ATM for 30k pulls on some old threads, so it was the first bank I tried at Central, but 30k returned "invalid amount". I also tried the Krungsri ATM at Villa. I shall try some more as it may vary from place to place, for example, the Central K-Bank ATM at the bank gave me 25k, whereas the standalone K-Bank ATM at Tesco, North Pattaya would only give me 20k.

It could also have something to do with my card. My card doesn't have a microchip - perhaps that makes a difference? I did discover that non-microchip cards can't be used for over the counter withdrawals at most banks.

IMO it is Pattaya specific enough to warrant an entry here.

CIMB and TMB by View Talay sales office on Thappraya Rd., Jomtien.

Yes, assuming your home country bank's daily limit allows it, the following bank ATMs should all dispense up to 30K per withdrawal:

Ayudhya/Krungsri, TMB, CIMB, and Citibank locations in BKK -- all with a 180baht fee.

AEON ATMs will dispense up to 20K, with a 150b fee for either VISA or MC logo cards.

If you have a bankcard from a Euro-zone bank it is limited to 650 euro cach a day and 1300 euro cach a week. Even outside the zone.

So for the moment you can take + - 23000THB in one time.

Dont knoy if English or US cards are limited too.

If you have a bankcard from a Euro-zone bank it is limited to 650 euro cach a day and 1300 euro cach a week. Even outside the zone.

My card has a daily limit of about THB 35,000.

You can go into a bank and do a 'cash advance' using your foreign card for any amount up to your issuing banks limit. You'll know the exchange rate offered before you draw down and there is a minimal fee.

Just need your card, ID and pin, there is no need to pay the 180 thb........

I've withdrawn 30k with a krungsri ATM and a French Visa Premier.

After that Visa blocked my card, on the phone they didn't believe I could have withdrawn "so much" until they checked the listing. They say it was a bug and that Visa should block any withdraw over 9000 ฿ whatever the ATM brand is.

My point is it may depend on your bank / card system.

Note that when I called Visa again few days later nobody there was then aware of this supposed 9k฿ limit.

Banks nowadays ... Not easy to get accurate information

VISA has no 9,000 baht, or equivalent currency amount, limit on what you can withdraw with a VISA logo debit card.

The bank that issued your VISA card, however, could well have a daily ATM withdrawal limit of $300 or so. Check with the bank that issued the card, and/or read the disclosure info that the bank provided when they issued you the card.

If any entity is blocking your transactions or contacting you about card limits, it's going to be the bank that issued your card, not VISA.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

For U.S. issued debit cards, the daily limits are going to be set by individual banks that issue the cards and will vary. Daily ATM withdrawal limits may be as low as $300, many are $400 to $500, and some as much as $1000 or more per 24 hours, though the latter are pretty rare.

Some banks will also let their card holders call in to make a special request to waive their daily limit, or raise it, for a brief period like 1 day... But some won't do that, and the pre-set limit is all you can get.

You can go into a bank and do a 'cash advance' using your foreign card for any amount up to your issuing banks limit. You'll know the exchange rate offered before you draw down and there is a minimal fee.

Tried that on a debit card (MasterCard) without a microchip at a number of banks last year - no go. Told me to use the ATM. The one I'm trying to use here is another debit card without a microchip.

For U.S. issued debit cards, the daily limits are going to be set by individual banks that issue the cards and will vary. Daily ATM withdrawal limits may be as low as $300, many are $400 to $500, and some as much as $1000 or more per 24 hours, though the latter are pretty rare.

Some banks will also let their card holders call in to make a special request to waive their daily limit, or raise it, for a brief period like 1 day... But some won't do that, and the pre-set limit is all you can get.

Banks certainly are starting to lower amounts available for ATM withdrawals. My Citicard had a $3000 per day limit, now it's only about $1100. Asked them why they did that - of course it's for my own protection, and inconvenience. Used to be able to go down to the AEON ATM's at Tesco and take out 80K in 2 grabs - no fee.

The banks here are making a killing over these limitations.

Tried that on a debit card (MasterCard) without a microchip at a number of banks last year - no go. Told me to use the ATM. The one I'm trying to use here is another debit card without a microchip.

Bangkok Bank can do it with credit/ debit, provided there is a pin, and your issuing bank is aware you want to use this overseas drawing facility. If it can be used at an ATM it can be used in branch, what you're paying for at the ATM is pure convenience.

A lot of the time I think the Thai branch managers don't actually know what they are refusing you, which just adds another tier to the problem. If I could get all those 180 thb hits back I might retire a year earlier!

Edited by coulson

Bangkok Bank can do it with credit/ debit, provided there is a pin, and your issuing bank is aware you want to use this overseas drawing facility. If it can be used at an ATM it can be used in branch, what you're paying for at the ATM is pure convenience.

A lot of the time I think the Thai branch managers don't actually know what they are refusing you, which just adds another tier to the problem. If I could get all those 180 thb hits back I might retire a year earlier!

The no microchip - no withdrawal condition was widespread as I had inquired at many bank branches. It was a consistent - NO! as soon as they saw my card. Really, I put quite a bit of effort in.

I regularly do over the counter cash advances with my Schwab VISA debit card. No fee. The chip is not factor either as they do it with the old paper slip in the machine! it takes two weeks for it to post at Schwab. In theory, I could take a big cash advance, then do a separate withdrawal of the same money from Schwab and make a run for it. But there is not enough money in the account to put me up in Dubai, so I could run, but couldn't hide.

Sorry, didn't realize chip was new technology. (US only introduced in late 2014???)

It isn't all that new. Most of my credit cards have microchips and have had for over 5 years. I also have some debit cards without microchips - perhaps debit cards don't have microchips?

I made an error in the opening post. The card I am using here is a Cirrus ATM card, not a credit or debit card... but still has a 35K THB daily limit at my bank.

I regularly do over the counter cash advances with my Schwab VISA debit card. No fee. The chip is not factor either as they do it with the old paper slip in the machine! it takes two weeks for it to post at Schwab. In theory, I could take a big cash advance, then do a separate withdrawal of the same money from Schwab and make a run for it. But there is not enough money in the account to put me up in Dubai, so I could run, but couldn't hide.

When you say "the chip is not the factor", are you saying your debit card doesn't have a chip?.. because as soon as various banks saw my card didn't have one, they stated they cannot do because no chip, and pointed me to the ATM.

Edited by tropo

Sorry, didn't realize chip was new technology. (US only introduced in late 2014???)

It isn't all that new. Most of my credit cards have microchips and have had for over 5 years. I also have some debit cards without microchips - perhaps debit cards don't have microchips?

Chip cards are far to be that recent. Bank cards in France use chip-cards since 1992.

The reason why it's "new" in USA is because USA banks refused to pay for Moreno's patent

and waited 30 years for it to expire.

I use schwab.They reimburse the fees.forget how much I can get at A time.I believe 25000-30000baht.

I have been using Schwab for a number of years now. Never a proroblem at Krungseri from 30,000 every 24 hours. Like you mentioned they reimburse the 180 baht fees.