Koh Chang advice please

sp27

Hello I am in Koh Chang for a couple of weeks for vacation and to find long term rental and move here.

The island is huge and I am not familiar with it at all. Can someone recommend at least which parts of the

island are likely to have houses or town homes for rent. I am not looking for a vacation rental. Any advice

would be appreciated.....thanks

The island is not really that large. Easy to explore most of it in a day. Try a Google search. Actually, quite a bit pops up.

I've got a friend down there, let me see what he says....as you probably know, KC has a relatively strong rainy season.

Two weeks is holiday rental. Just approach and ask for discount for that amount of time. I stay koh Chang huts. Nice hut ensuite...for 2 weeks should get 300 a night.

White sand beach. Has bars and music also.

Best split one week there and one other end. The hotel rents bike 250/day

Edit edit..sorry op just 're read. Still stay where I suggested and use it as a base. There are plenty of long term rentals on the island. You will have no problems. Enjoy.

Edited by jacksam

Thanks for the reply, so white sand beach is in one of the main areas? I am in lonely beach now just relaxing.

It's raining so not much else to do

Edited by sp27

Thanks for the reply, so white sand beach is in one of the main areas? I am in lonely beach now just relaxing.

Don't know about long term rentals but White Sand is certainly the busiest area. Klong Prao is next along and has a very good beach mainly taken up by resort style hotels then you have Kai Bae which is another another one popular with tourists, then Lonely Beach where you are currently staying. The other side of the island is a lot less populated and may or may not provide the long term rental you are looking for.

There is only one main road and that goes all round the island and can easily be driven in a couple of hours. One word of warning though, unless they have built a bridge or other means of crossing in the last year or so, when you get to the end of the road you have to go back the way you came as the two ends are separated by the sea.

• Like 1

I've always found the Kai Bae area has a good mix of expats and locals and makes a useful base from which to explore the island. Personally I'd avoid the crowds and expense of White Sands and the backpacker vibe of Lonely Beach. Kai Bae is central to both locations. You can reach White Sands by scooter for a night out as the island is easy to navigate. The only reason I'd visit White Sands is to go to the famous Oodies Bar for some great live blues music though. The Eastern coast is much quieter and has limited accommodation but worth a day's bike ride through the hills. You can find cheap but basic long-term rentals around Kai Bae from around 5000b a month and most 'local' expats in this area have all the contacts you'll need for a more permanent base.

• Like 1

Get used to it. Thats pretty much life on Koh Chang.

Living near the New Lotus makes life easier . Just past there about a Mile is the KC BAR many ex-pats stop there for a beer

For a long term option check out the East side. Kai bay is a good base for a couple of weeks as another post mentioned. I hope, as someone who is not familiar with the island, you can get a good idea in 2 weeks. I never would associate Koh Chang with somewhere to stay longer than a few months. The ratio of locals/ holiday makers/ backpackers and ex pats is kind of different there to anywhere else in Thailand. Not great medical facilities, getting around is a nightmare (careful on the bike) and getting off the island for weekends or trips is slightly more time consuming.......just food for thought!

While you're there try and get to Koh Kood for a night, is meant to be pretty unspoilt!

Enjoy...

+1 for the iamkohchang.com website - a wealth of information and a good read to boot. White Sand Beach is the busiest area but the whole island is easy to explore on a scooter. My only solid piece of advise is find somewhere else to be in September unless you like staying indoors watching drizzle fall for days on end.

• 2 years later...