traffic ticket chiang mai

tomahawk

Actually what they do if you do not pay, is to not allow you to renew your car or bike registration when you go for your yearly renewal.......so if you want rego and insurance you will have to pay the fine then.....that's what will happen.......yes, and there is the driving license being held at the police station if you had to surrender it.

they have ways of making you pay....

Don't know but the longer you wait, the more the chance they will lose your driver's license.

Definitely worth keeping in mind, they do lose licenses. I don't know how much of a hassle it is to get a replacement license, but I'm sure it's much easier to pay the fine, sooner rather than later.

The allowed time to pay varies according to who issued the ticket.

If is the Highway Police/photo-radar ticket, you have 30 days to pay or the fine jumps to 1,000 Baht. If you do not pay at the next motor vehicle registration date, you do not get to re-register your vehicle and your plates will be taken from you.

If it is a local police ticket for an infraction at a check-stop or another form of traffic infraction issued by a City Policeman, the time to pay varies on the infraction - for a moving violation, you have 15 days to pay or the potential of a court visit looms (the amount of effort the Police will expend to track you down will be determined by the seriousness of the offense). For a parking offense, you have 60 days (officially) but if you are a farang, they may decide to get the fine earlier.

This all said, the majority of tickets are issued on the spot and payment can be made right there, or directly at the local police station. If that is your choice (to pay immediate payment), get a receipt.

EDIT: Source - Tourist Police step brother-in-law

I got caught speeding in Lamphun a few months ago rang them up told me had to come and pay in lamphun but me wife noticed on the ticket that you could pay it at the post office and thats what i done , i done my tax and insurance no problems .

Archived