Bangkok traffic chaos after heavy downpour

webfact

I've said it before, travelled home late at night in '95, water up to the bonnet of the taxi. Then there were the 10,000 year rains in '83 when the streets were flooded for 3 months.

Why is this news anymore?

Yeh I remember the 1983 flood well; was living in Suk Soi 20 and office at Bangkapi, was hell getting anywhere in my car, used buses mainly; there were guys windsurfing along Skvt between soi20 and Asoke.

Have to love ThaiVisa's headline in my in box: Bangkok traffic chaos after heavy rain causes widespread flooding

Amazing that bad traffic can cause flooding! Chuckling at the great imaginations on the Thai Visa staff!

You lost me ...

You mean funny like

"Heavy smoke fills room after fire in ash tray?"

"Ship sinks after typhoon creates 20 meter seas"

That kind of funny ?????????????

(Is English your first language?) Just saying.

This is why I always carry an umbrella. It keeps the falling rain off my head, with the option to turn it upside down to use as a nifty boat in times of flood.

That's why I think carrying an umbrella is totally pointless in Bangkok. You can never seem to be able to walk more than 2 or 3 yards without your brolly hitting an awning, a vendor's cart with tarp and ropes etc, electric or telegraph pole or an advert hoarding.

This comes as real news to me ... and the 6 million other people who seem to manage without much effort.

But I forgot .. nothing is so small, so trivial, so petty, that we can not bitch about it ... and wait for it ... make it a "Thai Thing."

Silly stupid Thai people, putting up awnings to get out of the sun and rain. ???

Honestly, in the rainy season, you do not carry an umbrella ???

Amazing Farang !! 555 !!

The part I was wondering about was... was there any warning from the Thai metereology folks yesterday that this large a downpour was headed our way???

Or, was it their usual scattered thunderstorms forecast that pretty much gets repeated 365 days per year, regardless of what the actual weather turns out to be.

Took me 2 hours to drive from Bang Na to Dusit this morning. Not fun. BKK really is a horrible place, if it wasn't for work, I wouldn't even piss in this direction.

Lucky you had a car I had to walk through it for a couple of Klms :) Edited by StealthEnergiser

Took me 2 hours to drive from Bang Na to Dusit this morning. Not fun. BKK really is a horrible place, if it wasn't for work, I wouldn't even piss in this direction.

How very sad for you. Here you are living in one of the top travel destinations in the world, and that is your view.

Well, you are stuck now my friend, because in this entire world, there was only one job available for man of your enviable talents, and it was in BKK.

Hopefully in the next few years, another job will become available on Planet Earth ... We can only hope, yes?

We will miss you Doctor, like we miss a splinter in our eye.

Amazing Farang. Give him what thousands of others wish they had, and he cries about it.

(Well, one thing is for sure, you are not a research scientist, most people do know about the weather in BKK .. and the occasional street flooding.)

post-145190-0-30683900-1433770197_thumb.

Edited by Guest

I've said it before, travelled home late at night in '95, water up to the bonnet of the taxi. Then there were the 10,000 year rains in '83 when the streets were flooded for 3 months.

It's what's commonly known as a 'slow-news day': no hubs being created, no farangs falling from balconies, no coppers 'rushing' to the scene.

It's what's commonly known as a 'slow-news day': no hubs being created, no farangs falling from balconies, no coppers 'rushing' to the scene.

No, sorry .. flash flooding that stops half a major metropolis IS NEWS.

But this is Thai Visa ... where everything is a drama soap opera!

Report flooding - "Are you kidding? That is news?"

Don't report flooding? ... well .. that would be 14 pages of rants for certain!

So today's complaint is that this flooding is not news. Why?

"You young whippersnappers! You call this flooding? Why, back in the day, in 83 .. we had the 10,000 year flood (do not ask me how they know flooding conditions at this longitude - latitude 10,000 years ago .. just go with it ..ok?)

You kids today, water up to your knees trying to get to work. You know what we called that in '83? Puddles!

You young wippersnappers don't get it. We SWAM to work uphill in both directions, by j'sus !

Yes sir, the 10,000 year rains of 83. Now THAT was news.

Whippersnappers!

Wow. quite unusual. Almost as if nothing like this has happened before and they wouldn't know that they need a proper drainage system (properly designed, built and maintained).

coffee1.gif

Are you suggesting that flooding from heavy down pour would never occur anywhere else....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-09/wet-weather-flooding-affects-areas-across-australia/6009412

Nah, no one can be that stupid.

Yes that was fun today. Asoke Rd closed towards Petchburi.. Those little finos are tuff.. saw some riding in water almost to the seat.

year after year the various govenors of bangkok have said that they are going to fix the flooding problem. if Ilive to be 90 the flooding will not change.

Wow. quite unusual. Almost as if nothing like this has happened before and they wouldn't know that they need a proper drainage system (properly designed, built and maintained).

coffee1.gif

Are you suggesting that flooding from heavy down pour would never occur anywhere else....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-09/wet-weather-flooding-affects-areas-across-australia/6009412

Nah, no one can be that stupid.

"Are you suggesting that flooding from heavy down pour would never occur anywhere else...."

Nope. No one could be stupid enough to think that's what I was suggesting.

Oh...

coffee1.gif

What happened to the dredging of all klongs, Judging by the amount of rubbish and weed build up, clearly shown in photos, it never happened.

Unfortunately all the budget needed to be spent on 'Transportation Costs'. :(

S-Classes for the Department Heads.

Some months ago i read here that they built 8 huge pumps under the canals for situations like this. Why can't those pumps not keep it dry? They would pump straight into the chao praya and i'm talking about real pumps designed for this job.