Hi Ladies, Your Assistance Please

mrbojangles

Hi ladies (and any guys who have a serious input) :D

A couple of girls (about 22 yrs old) asked me over the weekend, where to go in Thailand. This is their first visit and is for 2 weeks, in March.

I have travelled all over the world and so i pretty much feel safe anywhere, but i guess i know what to look out for. These are 2 pretty naieve (sp) and not much travelled girls. So i would like to ask your recommendations.

They want a beach holiday, some night life etc, i don't think they're bothered about visiting Wats etc. But i want to recommend somewhere that will be pretty safe for a couple of young girls.

So i want to ask, from a female perspective, where would you recommend for a first time female, feeling safe along with a bit of nightlife etc. :o

Why not Phuket?

Gerd

Cheers Gerd. I haven't personally been to Phuket in over 3 years now, so not sure how things are like there at the moment. I did go to Krabi earlier this year and personally, couldn't wait to get away. Krabi isn't for me but i'm trying to leave my own views out of it and try to listen to a ferang females view. :o

I came over first when I was about 20, spent a few weeks between Ko Samui and Ko Phan Ngan. I loved it, was convinced that I was going to places no one had EVER been to. Drank way too much, stayed in cheap awesome bungalows that were everything I thought Thailand was about... and I felt safe. I've been back a few times since, am not so blind to the million other tourists that are there, buy I still always feel safe and have a good time.

I also think that Krabi is great - especially if you are quite happy going from one beach to another. It seems to be a little more expensive than the islands - although some people may disagree with me there.

They may not be into temples, but you need to make them go to at least Wat Pra Keow (Sp?) and tell them to have a massage at Wat Po....

hope this helps....

Phuket would be up their alley I believe. Give them a lecture about not getting seriously legless and out of control. (safe if you keep facilities about you that way judgement isn't hindered) Oh btw this would apply to any first time visitor. :o

Edited by britmaveric

A lot of the younger twenty-somethings seem to enjoy KPG, especially bottle beach. Nice cheap bungalows there, and a lot of twenty-somethings. It seemed very safe and sociable.

Krabi is fun also. You just have to tell them not to drink all night alone or in deserted places with people they don't know. Don't get completely wasted while out, and don't take tuk tuk or moto bike taxis alone at night. Also, it's best for them to reserve the eye-popping clevage for on the beach. If they are going to go out like that, take a sarong or scarf and cover up on the transport back.

Edited by kat

Excellent advice Kat, and applicable everywhere, not just Thailand but all of SE Asia.

I doubt they'd like Phuket that much, its probably a bit of an older crowd. Koh Phangan is, as Kat suggests, one of the must see spots on the 20 year old backpacker crowd. Koh Tao is pretty good, but alot of diving so they'd have to be sure to stay at a place that wasn't a dive resort (if they didn't want to dive that is) as they might not meet too many people otherwise.

Krabi and Phi Phi are also popular places, a bit pricier than Phangan but lovely.

I agree wholeheartedly with Samui and Koh Phangan. My first ever Thailand experience was there and I have recommended it to many others since, always with fantastic results.

The sleeper train down from Bangkok is an experience in itself (although I would recommend flying back - samui airport is the most beautiful little airport in the world!)

I have always felt safe on these islands, especially KPG, and though I have to live in BKK for work I always look forward to heading back down there for the odd hedonistic weekend every now and then.

The first time I went I was 21 and have taken both my younger sisters who have since returned a couple of times themselves. IMHO it is the perfect Thailand experience for young 20-somethings.

Feel free to PM me for more info, do's and don'ts, places to stay etc. :o

I'd have to agree about Koh Phangan, plenty of people of the same age, bit of variety too these days and its hardly all dreadlocked backpackers that people think it is. It also seems safer than your Samuis and Phukets and definately cheaper. Also very easy for them to either go over to Koh Tao for a bit of snorkelling or whatever, or even over to Samui to check out the party scene there.

Let them check out this website.

I also recommend Samui/ Koh Phangan.

Before I moved here, I vacationned alone many many times in Samui. I don't drink but I did go out dancing, listened to live music, hung out on the beach, met loads of people. A great time.

Anyone who thinks clearly about their safety will be fine.

I always had a good holiday.

Thanks for all the feedback ladies and gents. And for the excellent advise, such as the sarong's etc.

How easy is it to get to Koh Phangan? Does it have an airport or is it by boat. I've never been but i think it is well and truly on my "To do" list. :o

There's no airport on KPG, however you can fly to Samui and then it is just an hour's boat ride away which will take you right to the pier in Haadrin.

Either that or, if you take the sleeper train down to Surat Thani (mainland) from Bangkok then you have a coach ride either to where the boat leaves from in Surat Thani or a little further to Don Sak.

From there the boat to KPG takes about 4 hours and you arrive in Tong Sala which is the main town on KPG and on the opposite side of the island to Haadrin.

I'm getting whistful just thinking about it! :D

Thanks for all the feedback ladies and gents. And for the excellent advise, such as the sarong's etc.

How easy is it to get to Koh Phangan? Does it have an airport or is it by boat. I've never been but i think it is well and truly on my "To do" list. :o

There's no airport on KPG, however you can fly to Samui and then it is just an hour's boat ride away which will take you right to the pier in Haadrin.

Either that or, if you take the sleeper train down to Surat Thani (mainland) from Bangkok then you have a coach ride either to where the boat leaves from in Surat Thani or a little further to Don Sak.

From there the boat to KPG takes about 4 hours and you arrive in Tong Sala which is the main town on KPG and on the opposite side of the island to Haadrin.

I'm getting whistful just thinking about it! :D

Thanks very much for the info m155gOld :D With only having 2 weeks i think they'd opt for the flight to Samui

Edited by mrbojangles

Koh Tao still has great nightlife and is cool beachwise , not as mental as KPG [ how Mad do you need?]but IMO both places rawk...................... :o

But Koh Tao is more sanguine [ can I say that word here ? :D ]

Go to New Way Koh Tao and ask for OT or Pan. Pm me for details

:D

Edited by chonabot

Ha Ha Ha Ha.

No offence taken..... I guess i worded that one wrongly. I shall re-word "I have been visiting Samui (on an aeroplane or two or three) for a holiday, yearly, for four years now and found it OK" HOWZAT??

Edited by Patsycat

Koh Tao still has great nightlife and is cool beachwise , not as mental as KPG [ how Mad do you need?]but IMO both places rawk...................... :o

But Koh Tao is more sanguine [ can I say that word here ? :D ]

Go to New Way Koh Tao and ask for OT or Pan. Pm me for details

:D

Unfair chon, Hadrin is mental. The rest of the island pretty nice :D

Ha Ha Ha Ha.

No offence taken..... I guess i worded that one wrongly. I shall re-word "I have been visiting Samui (on an aeroplane or two or three) for a holiday, yearly, for four years now and found it OK" HOWZAT??

Better In the Plane, unless you consider yourself a bit of an eliza.

You , found it okay? or the plane found it okay. C´mon, patsy, the irish are supposed to be better at grammar than the english. (apparently true, okay.)

post-12676-1158278765.gifChang Chompuu Woz `EREpost-12676-1158278765.gif

Hi ladies (and any guys who have a serious input) :D

A couple of girls (about 22 yrs old) asked me over the weekend, where to go in Thailand. This is their first visit and is for 2 weeks, in March.

I have travelled all over the world and so i pretty much feel safe anywhere, but i guess i know what to look out for. These are 2 pretty naieve (sp) and not much travelled girls. So i would like to ask your recommendations.

They want a beach holiday, some night life etc, i don't think they're bothered about visiting Wats etc. But i want to recommend somewhere that will be pretty safe for a couple of young girls.

So i want to ask, from a female perspective, where would you recommend for a first time female, feeling safe along with a bit of nightlife etc. :o

Patong Beach in Phuket for sure. Was there in June and saw families there, young women vacationing, couples. It was awesome.

How about Hua Hin?

It isn't really Thailand in my opinion, but it gives enough of a cultural step to make it feel that you have visited an Asian country (damned expensive for Thais, but two western girls should be able to cope)

Nice beach, with horse rides (if you like) quite a few local attractions, and more than a few that are a little bit more distant (but avoid the Pala U Waterfall) .... most of the hotel staff speak reasonable English, and you don't get harassed by street vendors every 30 minutes.

Ive never been down to the South, but whenever i go to LOS and want beachy goodness, i go to Bang Saen. Its between Pattaya and BKK(about 1/2 way?), its is however mainly populated by Thais (i actually prefer that) so there is limited farang contact... Its close to BKK and Pattaya, so good as a base, for shopping, site seeing etc... (though i for me, going to pattaya once, ever, was enough).

There are a few night clubs around there too. Its close to a Uni, so yeah. There is budget and also 5 star accomodation.

The beach is very nice and clean. There is a promenade with street vendors on it. You buy a drink or something, (they have beautiful fresh seafood etc,) and get access to a beach chair (the beach is kinda covered in chairs and umbrellas, so maybe not so good if you want to suntan), so its very nice...

Thats just my 2c. My sister regularly goes to Samui though and loves it, so once again, this is just my opinion, and i have never been to Samui or KPG.

Hope they have fun wherever they end up!

• 2 weeks later...

You don't know what you're missing out on! Bang Saen is a horrible place!! Well, that's what I think but of course I'm biased towards Samui. On my first ever trip to Thailand I went to Krabi which I loved, Koh Tao is nice but because I'm not a diver a couple of days was enough. Unfortunately due to the whole full-moon reputation of Koh Phangan which I am so not into, I have avoided ever going there due to obvious mis-conceptions that the whole island is catered toward druggie raving types! Also, no one has mentioned Samet if they want something closer to Bangkok and reachable in a few hours.

Edited by sylvafern

I am a guy, but a soft gental one. Definitly Samui and KPG. Ah, brings back memories. Must do that again soon. Actually taking a break from work soon, and I am sure Mia Noi will want to do Samui/KPG. But then mabye I should do it alone again; I mean more interesting?