I got rejected for a credit card - where else to apply?

I have not found a solution to this. All my income is generated overseas. I would love to take the option of secured credit card. Been banking with k bank since 10 plus years.

Reason being solely to profit from special offers, accumulate points etc.

Does anyone have an online link it could show to my local bank branch manager to explain to him the concept of a secured card?

Firstly, I can only speak from an Australian perspective but I am in a similar situation in that all my income is generated overseas. I do have Thai bank accounts from which I draw down cash but I have maintained a number of Australian credit cards. One which is issued by a major Australian bank is used for expenses related to my income and for Australian expenses as I get frequent flyer points. The other card incurs no charges and I use this in Thailand, of course the currency conversion is only normal Mastercard rates, but otherwise it is essentially transaction charge free for purchases.

If you can maintain or obtain an overseas card then the hassles involved in in credit ratings can be overcome.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you go to the Krunsgri bank website they list all their credit cards. Depending upon the card they detail what the requirements are for secured credit card. They indicate for foreigners as supplying a copy of passport and work permit. When I applied at my branch in Pattaya they just wanted copy of passport , confirmed address in Thailand contact number. Credit limit is to 90% of deposit amount.

Thanks for that info....below is one such webpage....they talk both secured and unsecured card requirements....Google Translate is your friend at this webpage because when getting down to details on the card I could only find Thai language pages.

http://www.krungsricard.com/kccstatic/th/creditcard_signature.html

Below is a partial Google Translation of above webpage. Seems to be talking a "secured" card...but it still talks work which don't make any sense.

When applying the levies accounts.

Increased comfort Make your life easier with a credit card.

Apply the credit card simply by the required documentation listed in the application. You simply open a savings account or savings accounts, fixed deposits with banks besieged

and put guarantees for open credit card, just as you can use a credit card and receive special privileges from the credit card. Sri

Document

• Candidates aged 20-65 years of age.

• a landline at home or at work, can be contacted.

• If the applicant is a foreign national must reside in Thailand. And residence in the country. The document delivery

Required documents

• Copy (If foreigners take a copy of a Passport and Work Permit).

Edited by Pib

Try Citibank. I have a card with Citibank and standard chartered. Was actually not difficult at all. Just need a letter from your employer stating how much you earn, position and since when you are working. Then a copy of passport and work permit and application, you can request the application form online.

Banks are like Immigration offices, they make up their own rules, what one will do, the other may not. TiT.

Yes they do, but unlike immigration, banks are private entities who can set what ever rules they choose which suits their business model

Fact is some one doesn't have the right to a credit card, but interesting the howls a racism just because some one doesn't qualify under a specific banks rules, even more amusing is comparison with Thai nationals all the time, the key difference is a Thai national is a citizen of Thailand, while 99.9% of farangs are not even legal residents of Thailand but yet they demand to be treated like Thai citizens, and one could the suggest that those demanding rights in Thailand will be there ones complaining about "Johnny bloody foreigner" in their own countries

If you have the money to put in a locked deposit as collateral, you could get a "secured" credit card. Basically the only requirement to get a Thai bank secured credit card is the locked deposit. Typically a Bt100K deposit will get you a credit card with a Bt100K line of credit. But with this type of card you are basically providing your own line of credit based on your deposit....the bank doesn't have to worry about losing money because they have your money which serves a collateral.

I've done it this way and its the only way for a farang but I find it very useful.
Rubbish, I had an unsecured CC from SCB about 6 weeks after I arrived in Thailand to start work, in fact I had the card before my first salary deposit went into my Thai account

And this was when exactly?

14 years ago or there abouts

Hey OP...

Would suggest that KTC and AEON are likely the easiest to get ...

I remember the first Thai credit card I got was KTC ... Believe their min salary for Foreign national was 40k per month ...

So you shouldn't have any issues with getting approved

Although even though never a late payment and usually pay off in full any time used in last 6 years... Never an increase .. They have policy that need to request increase in writing and re-submit paperwork if wanting balance increase. Although no annual fee

Never applied for AEON but heard they are pretty easy

Citibank is a good one ... You should have enough to receive without a problem.. Although likely gold card.. Think need at least 1 million annual salary for the platinum card

Not sure if much difference between the 2... Except the platinum m visa gets you special parking spot at the Mall and also access to the VIP lounge at the Mall... And a couple other perks

But interest rates I believe are the same

Also good thing about Citi cards are if you use them regularly and pay them off, they keep raising the limit without asking...

So makes it a bit nicer for long term card

So you have a UK account, it might be fair to say you maybe a UK citizen.

You are applying for a credit card with USA banks in effect.

You live in a foreign country on an employment based right to live in Thailand.

You reside / live in a home supplied contingent on your emplyment.

You have only worked 3 years in Thailand.

And you wonder why they say no.... I think the above explains why.

Apply with a Uk bank, such as Lloyds bank international and they will issue you with a Lloyds Bank Visa Card, no problem (as long as your credit history has no black marks!)

Give it a try!

As an aside, I lived for several years in the USA, New York and even then it was several years before any bank would issue me with a USA Visa card, simple fact....Foreign citizen, and no USA credit history.

Edited by Pdavies99

I got a gold Amex card. Retirement visa, no work permit. Sent copies of bank statement and pension slips. You can complete an online form and post it to them. I was surprised at how many places actually take Amex. Big C, Tescos and Powerbuy to name a few.

But the key difference is, AMEX is not a bank

OP, it seems that a debit card may be a viable alternative. When I opened my account with Bangkok bank, all they required was copies of passport and work permit. From there I was able to obtain a debit card

Many online companies accept Paypal. I linked my Bangkok Bank Be1st debit card with my Paypal account. Been using it for 5 years without any hiccups.

A bit of a hassle to set up but once organized things couldn't be easier, and if you don't want credit, it could be a tidy work round

When buying, simply click the "pay using Paypal" option and you are transferred to paypal. Enter Paypal username and password and click "pay now" Job done. No having to provide details of address or what you had for breakfast. Its actually quicker than using a card. Although you still have that option if they don't accept Paypal

You can use debit cards from Bangkok and kasikorn bank and the latter has als a virtual credit card with their online banking.

Both banks you can make a fixed deposit for a credit card.

Become a Thai airways frequent flyer and get a platinum American express credit card that way

Sent from my S4 LTE

Siam Commercial....another one, same same.

I just use my Canadian credit card. Between that and my Thai bank debit card I never have a problem accessing funds, online or in person. On rare occasions I may need to wire some cash back to my Canadian bank so I can pay off the credit card (as I don't like carrying a balance on it for more than a few days if at all possible) but that is easy enough to do from here. Much easier than trying to do it the other way around at least.

The problem with a Canadian Credit Card, and I have a Canadian Visa to, is when you order something online from Thailand, where you may live now. You will be rejected as you are ordering something from a country where you card was not issued to. I was told that they do this for security reasons.

So ordering something from Thailand in Canada, is no problem. Ordering something from Canada in Thailand, is.

I just use my Canadian credit card. Between that and my Thai bank debit card I never have a problem accessing funds, online or in person. On rare occasions I may need to wire some cash back to my Canadian bank so I can pay off the credit card (as I don't like carrying a balance on it for more than a few days if at all possible) but that is easy enough to do from here. Much easier than trying to do it the other way around at least.

The problem with a Canadian Credit Card, and I have a Canadian Visa to, is when you order something online from Thailand, where you may live now. You will be rejected as you are ordering something from a country where you card was not issued to. I was told that they do this for security reasons.

So ordering something from Thailand in Canada, is no problem. Ordering something from Canada in Thailand, is.

That's something you can sort out with your bank/card issuer

I have a CC issued from a bank in Singapore and have used it many countries without issue and have never lived in Singapore

The problem is I expect in your case is that you don't want the bank to know your no longer living in Canada ?

A credit card implies getting credit and as a foreigner getting credit from a bank in Thailand is naturally difficult because when you leave Thailand it is unlikely that you will feel obligated to repay your debts in Thailand, especially if you have lost your job, been ripped off by Thais or had your visa cancelled. As such, lending to farangs is not a wise move. However I have a savings account with Siam Commercial Bank and they happily provide me with a debit card which I mostly use for ATM withdrawals. I can also use it at most shops. It is bears the Visa logo and I have never yet had it refused in Thailand to pay for goods at shops which accept Visa. I don't think I've ever tried to use it on the internet where I use PayPal connected to my UK Debit Card.

Appreciate all the suggestions. I will try Citibank since several people suggested them.

True, a deposit (50 or 100k) will get you a Visa/Master card. Bangkok Bank among them.

My thoughts: If you manage money wisely - and with your level of income - you should not need to run up credit card debt. It's only the banks that profit from credit card debt.

I hear you. I dont plan to stay in thailand long term, but if my plans change and one day want a car loan or even home loan, I should start building a good credit rep now. Having a well-managed credit card will do that. Plus the convenience of not having to use my UK debit card to make online payments.

I have not found a solution to this. All my income is generated overseas. I would love to take the option of secured credit card. Been banking with k bank since 10 plus years.
Does anyone have an online link it could show to my local bank branch manager to explain to him the concept of a secured card?

Good luck explaining any concept to an employee of Kasikorn !

Honestly for me kasikorn staff have probably the best english comprehension out of the lot. TMB were hopeless, Standard Chartered speak in riddles.. kasikorn central bangkok branches seemed relatively good and straightforward.

Edited by razorramone

Appreciate all the suggestions. I will try Citibank since several people suggested them.

If you are a budding 'international gypsy' like I have been for over 30 years, you need to secure credit worthiness in your HOME country first as it is easiest to obtain. The inconvenience of using a UK-domiciled credit card for overseas online commerce are greatly outweighed by the benefits of having home-based credit worthiness. I have a credit history in US and Brazil that were only enabled by having lengthy full-time employment in those countries and although I seldom return to them, I maintain banking and credit worthiness in those jurisdictions. If I let it lapse, it will never be offered again.

Having said that, the qualifications for obtaining basic banking in overseas countries are getting tougher, let alone the opportunity to get credit there as well. I found out about 5 years ago that being a non-resident 'international gypsy' virtually precluded my opening a new bank account in my home country, such are the vagaries of the prevailing banking policies in the UK. Ultimately, it is all tied into ones tax obligations and the premise that, "Everyone has to pay taxes somewhere, regardless of how or where they work, where they were born, where they are domiciled, their personal circumstances or their lifestyle."

I got a gold Amex card. Retirement visa, no work permit. Sent copies of bank statement and pension slips. You can complete an online form and post it to them. I was surprised at how many places actually take Amex. Big C, Tescos and Powerbuy to name a few.

But the key difference is, AMEX is not a bank

They may well not be a bank, but that's of little concern to me - I think.

They issue credit cards which are, mostly, accepted around the globe, their cards can be used to book flights, rent cars and used to check into hotels that require a hold.

Like other posters I'm a retiree who has never worked in Thailand and they issued a card to me without hesitation, and without tying up funds on deposit.

Yes I can use my debit card to book flights, though not usually to hire cars, I can also use my debit card to book hotels, though cannot usually use when a hotel wants to block funds, so my Amex card works for me, and I do juggle their discount and points offers.

I would be grateful if you could advise why the fact that Amex may not be a bank should concern me, they advance me money and I pay it back - am I missing something?

True, a deposit (50 or 100k) will get you a Visa/Master card. Bangkok Bank among them.

My thoughts: If you manage money wisely - and with your level of income - you should not need to run up credit card debt. It's only the banks that profit from credit card debt.

I hear you. I dont plan to stay in thailand long term, but if my plans change and one day want a car loan or even home loan, I should start building a good credit rep now. Having a well-managed credit card will do that. Plus the convenience of not having to use my UK debit card to make online payments.

Good luck explaining any concept to an employee of Kasikorn !

Honestly for me kasikorn staff have probably the best english comprehension out of the lot. TMB were hopeless, Standard Chartered speak in riddles.. kasikorn central bangkok branches seemed relatively good and straightforward.

Well here is your first lesson, if your not a Thai then forget about a home loan a good credit score or any score will be irrelevant

I have a HSBC credit card from the UK, about 8 years ago I changed my address to Thailand and since then I can get online shopping delivered direct to my home in Thailand as that billing address matches my delivery address.

However, the only reason I bother is because I get protection when making bigger purchases. If I was using a Thailand issued card I am certain I would get no protection at all, so why bother. A Bangkok Bank Be1st Debit card will work for just about anything except international car rentals.

Well here is your first lesson, if your not a Thai then forget about a home loan a good credit score or any score will be irrelevant

In fact I believe that the op is on the right track. I bought 2 rental condos a couple of years ago and got 100% mortgages from KBank. OK, I have PR but that only gives me the legal right to local financing. Whether or not the bank will lend to you is indeed based on your credit worthiness. So getting any kind of bank loans or credit cards that are registered at the credit bureau will provide exactly the history that banks are looking for.

A work permit and 70k salary definitely qualifies you for a local unsecured credit card. As other posters have suggested, you may need to shop around.

Only my opinion of course but from personal experience I would start with Kasikorn and SCB. BKK Bank would be at the end of the list.

In fact I believe that the op is on the right track. I bought 2 rental condos a couple of years ago and got 100% mortgages from KBank. OK, I have PR but that only gives me the legal right to local financing. Whether or not the bank will lend to you is indeed based on your credit worthiness. So getting any kind of bank loans or credit cards that are registered at the credit bureau will provide exactly the history that banks are looking for.

Even as a PR I don't think you can get a home loan on landed properties which is what I was referring to irrespective of your credit worthiness, I wasnt talking about condo,s specifically

In fact I am not PR but have been offered a mortgage on a condo from SCB, as I have stood guarantor for a Thai national on a mortgage and have a credit history/cc and financed vehicles over the last 14 years

• 2 weeks later...

What separates Thailand from the west is that they don't hand out credit cards here to everyone like the west. In the west you could be a bum for all they care and still get a credit card.

Actually your wrong, they don't hand CC to westerners here like they do in the West...laugh.png and this is why we have posts like this, as said westerners believe its their right to be given an unsecured credit card in country they are neither citizens or permanent residents of giggle.gif

What separates Thailand from the west is that they don't hand out credit cards here to everyone like the west. In the west you could be a bum for all they care and still get a credit card.

Actually your wrong, they don't hand CC to westerners here like they do in the West...laugh.png and this is why we have posts like this, as said westerners believe its their right to be given an unsecured credit card in country they are neither citizens or permanent residents of giggle.gif

Why shouldnt a westerner get a credit card ,i was turned down(untill i kicked up a stink at ho) even though i had over a million baht in a bank account here for over 9 years , yet my son who is in university and i pay money into his bank account monthly was given one straight away , racism at its worst laugh.png oh the escuse ,i was over 65 ,what the F has that got to do with it ,if i die they can just take the money.

Why shouldnt a westerner get a credit card ,i was turned down(untill i kicked up a stink at ho) even though i had over a million baht in a bank account here for over 9 years , yet my son who is in university and i pay money into his bank account monthly was given one straight away , racism at its worst laugh.png oh the escuse ,i was over 65 ,what the F has that got to do with it ,if i die they can just take the money.

Westerners do get unsecured credit cards, I got one after being in Thailand for about 6 weeks when I came to work here, the thing people miss, the issue of a credit card involves assessing someone's risk profile in line with their pre-determined criteria, its not just about money in the bank, its also about legalised residence and a slew of other things

if one get knocked back its nothing to do wit racism in the least, its to do with you don't fit their pre-determined profile criteria to issued the card...if there was a "racist" criteria or question then none of us would have a CC whistling.gif

Although I hold quite a lot of pennies in Singapore, they will not issue me an unsecured credit in Singapore because i am non-resident in Singapore and not working in Singapore, if I was, the card would be unsecured, but with me working and living in Thailand, If I wanted the card, it would have to be secured with an amount equal to the limit on the card and I was told this upfront