Fastet Swift Transfer Ever!

Yesterday late morning at 11:08 Thai time (06:08 Swiss time) I made an online Swift transfer from the account of my small provincial bank in Switzerland (one head office and 5 branches only) to my bank account at Siam Commercial Bank I have in a small provincial town in Thailand's Northeast. Usually the transfer arrives the next morning at around 09:00.

But this time, the transfer made at 11:08 in the morning was booked ino my account at SCB at 16:08 the same day ... yesterday. That is only 5 hours!

Can you believe this? Well. hard to believe for our British expats where some of them (or most) wait days for their transfers to be credited in Thailand.

Wll, life gets easier and easier, it seems to me.

I do from Citibank Singapore to SCB, and to the UK in less than an hour most months smile.png

Hong Kong to Singapore usually within 4 hours, but have to initiate first thing in the morning.

UK to HK usually same day as well, if done at 9am UK, but UK to SCB is indeed a different story - never same day, I think due to UK banks earliest processing being at 9am, after SCB cut off for handling.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Yesterday late morning at 11:08 Thai time (06:08 Swiss time) I made an online Swift transfer from the account of my small provincial bank in Switzerland (one head office and 5 branches only) to my bank account at Siam Commercial Bank I have in a small provincial town in Thailand's Northeast. Usually the transfer arrives the next morning at around 09:00.

But this time, the transfer made at 11:08 in the morning was booked ino my account at SCB at 16:08 the same day ... yesterday. That is only 5 hours!

Can you believe this? Well. hard to believe for our British expats where some of them (or most) wait days for their transfers to be credited in Thailand.

Wll, life gets easier and easier, it seems to me.

My UK bank, HSBC, to Kasikorn is always there in the morning next day. On two occasions the last year on the same day.

For me it has been that way for years.

according to scb.my last transfer made at 12-00miday thai time on the 28th.of april arrived at scb.bangkok at 1PM SAME DAY.

yes 1hour from me sending online to my uk.bank.

then they didnt trans.to korat branch till 1.30pm.on the 29th.

this could be one for RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

Last I sent from Halifax in UK early morning was in Thai account around 16.00 the next day. Not Swift either.

Days of 5 working days for receipt long gone. Little point in paying for Swift either unless mega urgent

according to scb.my last transfer made at 12-00miday thai time on the 28th.of april arrived at scb.bangkok at 1PM SAME DAY.

So your transfer made on April 28th arrived the next day on Apri; 29th 1:30 PM in your account. Nothing really unusual. Should be there in the morning.

What is important is that you finish your transfer before 12:00 midday cut-off time , otherwise transfer gets executed the following business day. That's what you did and your UK bank executed within the next hour.

BTW, how do you know that your transfer arrived at 1:00 PM at SCB head office? You can't see this on SCB Easy, you have to go and call them to know.

Anyway, what is important for you is how fast your transfer from the UK arrives in Thailand. Next day is nothing unusual, it's common practice.

You don't want to know when it transited your banks head office, because at that stage your funds still haven't arrived in your account.

So what I learn here is that British citizens get their transfer about equally fast as other European citizens.

Edited by Dario

Last I sent from Halifax in UK early morning was in Thai account around 16.00 the next day. Not Swift either.

Days of 5 working days for receipt long gone. Little point in paying for Swift either unless mega urgent

It has to be SWIFT if it is coming from UK to Thailand!

My HSBC transfer - always same day, quickest under one hour.

So your transfer made on April 28th arrived the next day on Apri; 29th 1:30 PM in your account. Nothing really unusual. Should be there in the morning.

What is important is that you finish your transfer before 12:00 midday cut-off time , otherwise transfer gets executed the following business day. That's what you did and your UK bank executed within the next hour.

BTW, how do you know that your transfer arrived at 1:00 PM at SCB head office? You can't see this on SCB Easy, you have to go and call them to know.

Anyway, what is important for you is how fast your transfer from the UK arrives in Thailand. Next day is nothing unusual, it's common practice.

You don't want to know when it transited your banks head office, because at that stage your funds still haven't arrived in your account.

So what I learn here is that British citizens get their transfer about equally fast as other European citizens.

well dario i was ROBBED,the last 6transfers have all been done arround same time,12miday thai time and it has always arrived in our acc.next morning 10am.thai time,always got a call to say what rate and are we happy with it.but this time,no call and it is 1.30pm.so the wife rings bkk.and someone on the other end said oh yes it arrived in bkk.at 1pm.on the 28th.but could not give an answer why it has not gone to our local branch[korat] well we know now that the b.o.t.lowered the bank rate so the T.T.rate shot up over 50satang.but the rate they gave me was the lowest of the day[28th] so instead of getting the rate i have recieved previous trans.they done me for around 7,000bht.almost 3cases of cider.sad.png

well dario i was ROBBED,the last 6transfers have all been done arround same time,12miday thai time and it has always arrived in our acc.next morning 10am.thai time,always got a call to say what rate and are we happy with it.but this time,no call and it is 1.30pm.so the wife rings bkk.and someone on the other end said oh yes it arrived in bkk.at 1pm.on the 28th.but could not give an answer why it has not gone to our local branch[korat] well we know now that the b.o.t.lowered the bank rate so the T.T.rate shot up over 50satang.but the rate they gave me was the lowest of the day[28th] so instead of getting the rate i have recieved previous trans.they done me for around 7,000bht.almost 3cases of cider.sad.png

how do i think they ROBBED me well the b.o.t.rate was lowered at 8.15am.on the 29TH.

Nope not Swift. Charged standard £9.50 and no question that additional charges were added at Thai end. The balance was bang in Line with TT rate on the SCB website when it hit, less the anticipated 300 Baht fee at Thai end.

Edited....apologies. Am not sure re Swift......Previously transfers using £9.50 rate had hit on 3rd working day inclusive. This time it was 2nd

Edited by Chivas

Nope not Swift. Charged standard £9.50 and no question that additional charges were added at Thai end. The balance was bang in Line with TT rate on the SCB website when it hit, less the anticipated 300 Baht fee at Thai end.

Edited....apologies. Am not sure re Swift......Previously transfers using £9.50 rate had hit on 3rd working day inclusive. This time it was 2nd

Chivas - it IS SWIFT - that is the only international bank to bank method applicable to UK/Thailand.

£9.50 sounds like Halifax - was always day 3 getting here for me (day 2 once).

Edited by Jip99

Chivas - it IS SWIFT - that is the only international bank to bank method applicable to UK/Thailand.

Ok fair play.........I'm recalling the early 90,s where we used to get offered what I thought was "Swift" for an additional fee........

To be honest I was happy with 3rd working day inclusive so 2nd was just a bonus.

How much is HSBC ?? (uk end)

Ok fair play.........I'm recalling the early 90,s where we used to get offered what I thought was "Swift" for an additional fee........

To be honest I was happy with 3rd working day inclusive so 2nd was just a bonus.

How much is HSBC ?? (uk end)

HSBC charge is £4 which is pretty good imho.

The last time I SWIFT'd from BKK to the US, it took an hour for the money to be credited to my account.

Impressive to say the least. Wonder if in 10 years time it will be an immediate transfer to the receiving Bank as we now have bank to bank in the uk.

Probably not as no doubt the Thais will want their pound of flesh still !

OK, I think they are just showing off now and trying to get their name on Thai Visa, but............................

Today, I transferred £2,000 from HSBC UK to Kasikorn Bank:-

Transfer instructed:- 10:12

Appearing on bank statement as debited (dispatched):- 10:17

SMS received and K Bank account credited:- 10:34

I make that 17 minutes from bank account to bank account - and I was pretty damn impressed.

I got 3,760 USD worth of baht yesterday via one counter withdrawal (using my no cash advance and no foreign transaction fee credit card that I already had preloaded with the payment to avoid any interest charge)...no Thai bank fee for that counter withdrawal. And then two ATM withdrawals at the same branch using two no foreign transaction fee debit cards that reimburse the Bt180 fee. Did this at a Krungsri branch in my nearby Lotus mall I visit several times per week.

I had the credit card cash advance (Bt66K/approx $1,974) deposited to my Krungsri account in a combo transaction...would have liked to have got more but my card has a daily $2,000 cash transaction limit. The two ATM withdrawals for Bt30K (approx $893) each I got from the Krungsri ATMs and then deposited that money into my Bangkok Bank account via their Cash Deposit Machine (CDM). This Bangkok Bank CDM was about 5 steps from the Krungsri ATMs....and the CDM counted all sixty Bt1000 notes correctly on the first count (usually it takes a couple of tries)...didn't reject any notes on the first count.

Only about 15 minutes (20 tops) to do this because I didn't have to wait in any queues for the counter withdrawal/deposit, ATM withdrawals, and CDM deposit...and counter clerk was cheerful and pretty...plus the ATM and CDM cooperated. I know it may sound to much work to some...but it really isn't. Yeap, about 15 minutes to do all of this with no fees incurred by me. Me no like SWIFT fees.

P.S. Then I continued on into Lotus to buy a couple of fried chickens the wife had sent me to get.

I got 3,760 USD worth of baht yesterday via one counter withdrawal (using my no cash advance and no foreign transaction fee credit card that I already had preloaded with the payment to avoid any interest charge)...no Thai bank fee for that counter withdrawal. And then two ATM withdrawals at the same branch using two no foreign transaction fee debit cards that reimburse the Bt180 fee. Did this at a Krungsri branch in my nearby Lotus mall I visit several times per week.

I had the credit card cash advance (Bt66K/approx $1,974) deposited to my Krungsri account in a combo transaction...would have liked to have got more but my card has a daily $2,000 cash transaction limit. The two ATM withdrawals for Bt30K (approx $893) each I got from the Krungsri ATMs and then deposited that money into my Bangkok Bank account via their Cash Deposit Machine (CDM). This Bangkok Bank CDM was about 5 steps from the Krungsri ATMs....and the CDM counted all sixty Bt1000 notes correctly on the first count (usually it takes a couple of tries)...didn't reject any notes on the first count.

Only about 15 minutes (20 tops) to do this because I didn't have to wait in any queues for the counter withdrawal/deposit, ATM withdrawals, and CDM deposit...and counter clerk was cheerful and pretty...plus the ATM and CDM cooperated. I know it may sound to much work to some...but it really isn't. Yeap, about 15 minutes to do all of this with no fees incurred by me. Me no like SWIFT fees.

P.S. Then I continued on into Lotus to buy a couple of fried chickens the wife had sent me to get.

...... and fortunately PiB, you didn't get mugged with all that cash on you...... thumbsup.gif

.... and fortunately PiB, you didn't get mugged with all that cash on you...... thumbsup.gif

To mug me they would have had to done it inside a busy mall with dozens upon dozens of people walking by the two bank branches/ATMs/CDM I used...two branches of around a half dozen different branches located side by side and across from each other in this mall all with security guards standing at the door of each branch.