Buying a Thai pay as you go Sim card in Thailand.

milicano007

Is it true that when you buy a new Thai sim card on pay as you go (AIS, DTAC etc) you have to show your passport when you purchase it in the shop (7/11 etc) .

I have been told this is a new requirement as all new sim cards have to be registered ?

Or can you buy the sim card but before you use it you have to register your details with the mobile network?

What do you mean by "pay as you go " SIM card?

Most people purchase a "pre paid" SIM card that has a fixed amount of credit on it, that you "top up" as needed and yes it requires showing your passport due to a new regulation. If a Thai then you would have to show your Thai ID card

A "post paid" account usually requires a work permit since it is basically acting as a credit card for your account and you pay for use during the prior month when you get a bill

What do you mean by "pay as you go " SIM card?

Most people purchase a "pre paid" SIM card that has a fixed amount of credit on it, that you "top up" as needed and yes it requires showing your passport due to a new regulation. If a Thai then you would have to show your Thai ID card

A "post paid" account usually requires a work permit since it is basically acting as a credit card for your account and you pay for use during the prior month when you get a bill

PAYG - Pay As You Go - is just another accepted term for prepaid depending what country you're from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prepaid_mobile_phone

It means Pre-paid

You now need to show a passport even at 7-11's and small local phone shops. i needed to buy a SIM last week and went to several local phone shops in Phra Khanong. I had neglected to bring my passport and in each case was turned down..."Need Passport!!"

Regarding 7-11's, I do not know if this is nationwide but both the "7's" near me (same owner) have ceased selling all but TRUE SIM's, no AIS, no DTAC. They also sell some TRUE phone packages.

They also said that even for a TRUE SIM..."Need Passport!!"

You can probably BUY Sim cards at Minimarts without a passport, but you can not actually ACTIVATE them. If you don't have your passport with you, 200 Baht may help you to find an eager Thai national who would be willing to register under his name (but not sure if that's a good idea really)

It makes sense that they want to register now at the time of purchase.

Otherwise it could become a short lived SIM card (blocked for outgoing call after July 31 due to the plan).

But as I have my SIM card for years, I am not up-to-date about newly purchased cards and whether they can not be activated without registration as written above.

Anyway, in 51 days from now (1 August) we will learn whether this time the registration request is serious.

(I have given up and did do the registration)

This "register at purchase" would be a strong indicator.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/service/sim-registration.html

According to NBTC, it is necessary for SIM card sellers to register every new SIM card sold, with number owner presenting their documents for self identification,
Edited by KhunBENQ

When I returned to a local phone shop with my passport to purchase a SIM there was no problem. He filled out all the info in a notebook and I was finished in 3 minutes.

Unless you are one of the escapees on the run from that upstate New York prison I can't imagine why you would need another person to do it for you.

Edited by dddave