Areas To Stay In Bkk & Pattaya

tk47

Hi. I am heading for Thailand for a month and want to spend my first week in Bankok before moving on to Pattaya.

So before I book an apartment / hotel I would be grateful of any advice on areas to avoid when booking somewhere in both places please.

I am on a budget and happy to search for accomodation when I have the above information.

T.I.A.

tk47 Ilive in Pattaya and I would not recommend Woodland Resort, it is hardly budget, the cheapest room is 2,300 baht a night! Woodland Resort is also at the Dolphin Roundabout which is Pattaya North/Naklua area, well away from the main centre. I have a friend who has just checked into the Intown Hotel in Soi Honey for 550 baht a night. He is more than happy with his room and it is situated in a good area that is pretty central to everywhere. Pattaya can be noisy in most places, if noise from bars bother you maybe a hotel in Jomtien would suit you better but then you will have to commute to Pattaya everyday/night, I hope that helps.

Apologies for an unclear post.....

I meant to ask what are the rough / rundown areas of both Bankok and Pattaya that you would not stay in with regards to accommodation, as I am sure there will be areas like this.

Edited by tk47

I meant to ask what are the rough / rundown areas of both Bankok and Pattaya that you would not stay in with regards to accommodation, as I am sure there will be areas like this.

Hi TK47

Been to Patters many times and like anywhere, different people have different views of resorts/areas. Generally Jontiem beach area is a bit less busy.I've stayed in Rabbit Resort and Sunshine Village,both fantastic but pricey for Thailand or I'v stayed above bars in Soi 6(or sex) of 300bt. Why not check out a few Tourist Guides before you go. You gets wot you pays for!!! :o

You gets wot you pays for!!! :o

That's not necessarily true.

Thai-run place could be better than Marriott and 3-4 times cheaper. Most of the Marriotts in Thailand were something else before. Redecorating the rooms (not making them bigger) and rising prices from 1500B to 6000B (certainly Marriott management touch can be felt) is now a new hotel.

Also, as anywhere, a new place of the same category as 30 years old is much better for the same price.

Are you coming here on a gutter crawl or more of a 5 star type?

Not on a gutter crawl, but do not see the need to pay 5* if a decent apartment for example, can be had for less cash. Thing is, I can trawl the net and get prices but do not want to end up somewhere really rough and not knowing Bankok or Pattaya was the reason for asking what areas are rough / really run down and should be avoided.

There are dozens of hotels in Pattaya between the 500 B and 1,000 B per night. The best thing to do is just arrive and check into any hotel around the 2nd road or sois off that road and see if you like it. If you don't like it checkout the next day and find another, there is no need to waste your money booking on the net, pay cash here in person. There are hundreds of rooms available. Here is a nice hotel that is around that 1,000 B per night, good luck. ARECA LODGE

There are dozens of hotels in Pattaya between the 500 B and 1,000 B per night. The best thing to do is just arrive and check into any hotel around the 2nd road or sois off that road and see if you like it. If you don't like it checkout the next day and find another, there is no need to waste your money booking on the net, pay cash here in person. There are hundreds of rooms available. Here is a nice hotel that is around that 1,000 B per night, good luck. ARECA LODGE

Thanks for that, bmanly - appreciated :o

• 2 weeks later...

In Bangkok, you need two things: (1) yes to stay out of miserable areas; and (2) to stay in areas that are close to the sky train (which has really opened up Bangkok for residents and tourist alike) and good infrastructure (restaurants, shopping, etc).

For something in the THB 2,000 per night area, I recommend two hotels. Both are in the Sukumvite area, close to the skytrain and close to infrastructure.

The Majestic is almost on the corner of Sukumvite and Soi 4. The rooms are a bit small, but very clean. The staff goes out of their way to be helpful, and they speak relatively excellent English. The phone number is +66 2 656 8213. They have a more upscale hotel, the Majestic Grand which is in the same general area, but a bit more expensive. The Majestic has a web site.

The Dynasty Grande is on Sukumvite Soi 6. It is around THB 2,200 or 2,300 per night. It is brand new. The rooms are large, very clean, and comfortable. The claim it is a 4 star hotel, and I have no serious disagreement (the negative being the food in the restaurant is sometime good, sometimes not so tasty) with this. +66 2 255-1333. The staff is really nice here to, and they speak relatively excellent English.

Both of these hotels - especially the Majestic - are often fully booked. So it is wise to book early.

Hotel Ma Maison, Beach Rd soi 13. 900B (950B with ABF). Great hotel, close to nightlife, nice pool and one of the very best restaurants in Pattaya. Real quiet place, 2 floor buildings and nice French/Swiss management and friendly staff. No guest fees.

Sawadee Seaview or Eastiny Hotel, Beach Rd. soi 10, quiet, around 8-900B with ABF. No guest fees.

Or you could rent my condo in view talay..even cheaper.. :o

I would avoid Pattaya at all costs, come to Bangkok then travel on to somewhere nice like Krabi. :o

Pattaya is just one of the places I will be visiting while in Thailand and feel I should drop in there for a week.

BKK followed by Nakhon Sawan then Pattaya and from there.... who knows? BKK seems a good base for the first week to get to other places though. Krabi seems a nice place on the coast but I have not finalised my 4th week as yet so will be looking further for other options as to where to go.

In BKK, only the Nana Hotel!

The Nana Hotel is not that bad, It has nice rooms and you can get a drink downstairs or go dancing if you please. :D

Lovely Buffet breakfast as well

:D

YES!! :D I liked the hotel very much and if your not happy with the food you can go outside to the street vendors. The restaurant food is good but a bit expensive and I just said that huh?? :D espacially being a restaurant in thailand. :o