Defiant Thai lottery vendor fined 10,000 baht for overpricing

webfact

She tried to make a 20 baht profit and are fined 10.000 baht...........

Meanwhile the cop killing Red Bull heir is sniffing his coke in Singapore!!

One law for the rich and another for the poor, not a surprise but still sickening!!

The cop killing Red Bull heir was released with passport in hand under the democratically elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra.

Not so sure that would happen now.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of things why condone the police for enforcing the rules, who cares if its 20THB or 20,000THB laws as established for a reason why not enforce them. Good work.

This incident (fine) will be major breaking news in Thailand it will ensure that no lottery ticket seller will overcharge, the lottery drums will be beating out a warning across the whole of Thailand.

Corruption, yes its a problem in Thailand but very slowly they are trying to weed out the bad eggs this will take time as the whole country is knacker deep in corruption (it wont happen overnight)

Cant do right for doing wrong in the eye's of TV posters.

Another example of stupidity. Only a few weeks ago a lorry driver was fined 6000 baht for killing a round the world cyclist. yet the greedy lotto vendors crime seems to be more than manslaughter.

get a grip thailand

<deleted>.

20 fines of 500b would be much more effective at getting the vendors to stop. But then, one big whopping fine that is out of all proportion gets in the news and shows how serious you are. rolleyes.gif

coffee1.gif

But still allowing other over pricing to go on without anything happening

Crime of the century!!

Thanks to Mr P and his brave men I sleep peacefully in my bed now!!

What a pathetic comment. Or were you trying to be funny?

Perhaps this criminal was stealing form the poor for years. Did you think of that?

The poor robbing the poorer.

Does the story begin to make sense to you a bit now?

Yes the vendor should be fined for overcharging, but 10.000 THB is way over the top. A fine of 200-500 THB would be much more in line with the crime.

But I guess overcharging lottery tickets is a much more serious crime, than say killing a person in traffic (some recent tragic bicycle events come to mind)?

Curious comment.

The law states, obviously, that 10 000b is the fine.

Yet you, in all your knowledge and vast experience of the law, clearly think that you know better than the lawmakers of Thailand.

Is it just possible that the lawmakers consider this type of robbery something which strikes at the very heart of Thai culture?

Ironic, they arrest a Thai lottery vendor for overcharging 10 baht, but taxi drivers, tuk-tuk's, jet-ski's ... who have been ripping off the public for years, go scot free. Where's the logic in that ?

Their time will come. Let all the scammers beware!

One law for the rich and another for the poor, not a surprise but still sickening!!

The cop killing Red Bull heir was released with passport in hand under the democratically elected government of Yingluck Shinawatra.

Not so sure that would happen now.

Wrong!!

He was released by the politically "independent" judiciary...............coffee1.gif

Sure the judges have had a few round of golf with his grandfather.

Sadly the untouchables would have got away with it, no matter who is in charge, because as we all know, Thailand is the country, where money talks and BS walks!!

Never going to stop the backyard "Lucky Number" vendors up here in Isaan. 3 Numbers cost 25 Baht to win 10,000 Baht. You go figure the profits in that!

Not much bark left on some of the "Special" trees around here after they are shaved and some talcum powder applied. 5555555

Two individuals agree to a transaction of their own free will. One give the other a lottery ticket, the other hands over 90B. As a result the government demands that the vendor forfeit 10,000B or else.

Of the three players in our little pantomime, which are acting unethically?

Edited by cocopops

Thailand makes you so sick, every single day, in every single comment, I wonder how you're not in hospital already ? coffee1.gif

Active military officers serving in the PM's cabinet, NLA, NRC and CDC get both military and government salaries but the Junta goes after a low income lottery vendor for charging a Bt20 fee for select lottery tickets.

How can this government be honest about solving wealth inequality when its is the biggest offender? As a general must know, you LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

Ironic, they arrest a Thai lottery vendor for overcharging 10 baht, but taxi drivers, tuk-tuk's, jet-ski's ... who have been ripping off the public for years, go scot free. Where's the logic in that ?

Simple logic, lotteries affect Thais the others affect tourists.

Crime of the century!!

Perhaps this criminal was stealing form the poor for years. Did you think of that?

Allow me, to hand you my business card:post-218648-0-54010300-1434015250_thumb.

Crime of the century!!

More stupid than poor I would guess. Why not just buy the ticket from the next vendor who probably wasn't that many feet away who was selling them for 80 baht unless these vigilant policemen didn't notice everyone was selling them for 90 baht. With all the publicity about this at the moment anyone paying more than 80 baht for a ticket needs their head examining.

No brainer, the group mentioned are ripping off farang, the lottery's customer base is overwhelmingly Thai.

BTW, never seen 90 baht tickets here on Phuket, 120 yes ..

Edited by dageurreotype

So let me try and get my head around this one. You can steal billions of baht being a high government official and the only punishment you get is being re-located to another post, yet some poor bugger makes 20 baht profit on an already existing government scam(the controversial lottery scheme) and you get fined 10.000 baht.

I need another valium

I'm used to two different things than I see in Thailand lottery. I'm used to seeing the tickets sold by existing merchants such as convenience stores, taverns and even some grocery stores. The merchants make a little extra on something they have no investment in, and it draws in some customers who initially want a lottery ticket. They don't pay for the tickets until after they are sold and can return unsold tickets.

I'm used to seeing tickets that have a surface which must be scratched off by the buyer after purchase before the numbers can be seen. There's no choosing numbers.

attachicon.gifma.jpg

In Australia they call them Instant Scratch-It tickets, or something like that.

First time my wife went to Australia I took her to a newsagency to buy my Lotto tickets. She saw all the scratch-it tickets and wanted to know what they were. I explained to her how they worked and bought her $10 worth.

When we got outside the shop she wanted to know when she was allowed to check them. facepalm.gif

The logic in that is that lottery ticket vendors do not have money to pay the police for protection.

There is not any logic to that, I would bet they are on the Good Generals List !! If not should be. It will take a least two or more years to continue Flushing the Devise to clean upLOS !!

I guess risking a fine is like playing lottery in reverse. Most times you win, sometimes you lose.

Maybe they should adjust prices based on province/minimum wage, or based on how 'lucky' the numbers are? (joking).

In Udon city the sellers seem to be compliant with the 80baht rule from what little I've seen. I'm not a player because I learnt maths at school, but do watch with interest.

Possibly you are right but you have to start somewhere, and to start at the jet-ski's it is a bit more difficult, (read more corrupt, and big bosses) this is a small and easy to get .