Goa or Kerala, which is nicer?

giddyup

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but has anyone visited either or both of those places recently? Any tips about where to stay, what to avoid, airfare prices etc, would be much appreciated.

This month is start of the monsoon for both places so you certainly need to take that into consideration.

I was most recently in Kochin in Kerala last year around April and loved it. Havn't been to Goa for 30 years and no plans on returning but during the monsoon the place will slow down so if you are looking for a party every night then hang on until October time but if a more laid back scene with bargain hotel rates them maybe Goa will suit but make no mistake it will rain.

For Kerala take a look at Kochin, Munnar, Tekkady and Varkala and see if anything takes your fancy but again rain it will.

Good luck.

Just returned from Kerala , Cochin and Varkala. Agree with Mahseer above. Not a good time to go..it was unbelievably hot, plus the monsoon had just started. These parts of India are no longer cheap. Goa is better because I like riding motor cycles..but preferred the food in Kerala.

Thanks for all the good advice. It seems that I need to delay my trip by a few months.

There are plenty of other places in India that dont get the full brunt of the south west monsoon so give us an idea what you are looking for aside from the beach and maybe we can help.

If you fancy a 3 week road trip (can hire car and driver for the duration) then there is a high mountain pass about to open that would make a fabulous venture but depends what you are looking for.

Thanks for all the good advice. It seems that I need to delay my trip by a few months.

There are plenty of other places in India that dont get the full brunt of the south west monsoon so give us an idea what you are looking for aside from the beach and maybe we can help.

If you fancy a 3 week road trip (can hire car and driver for the duration) then there is a high mountain pass about to open that would make a fabulous venture but depends what you are looking for.

Really just somewhere to chillout for a few days. At my age I don't fancy the heat and turmoil of the larger cities, and I don't want to be hassled by touts and beggars every 5 minutes. Maybe Sri Lanka might be a better option?

Some good advice bout the weather. But if your gonna go and the chillin u want than i'de go 4 kerela and head for the cliff top at Varkala unbelievably good fresh fish to eat there . A great place to chill with no hassles. hire a bike and head along the coast to some abso stunning ' virgin' beach's.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some good advice bout the weather. But if your gonna go and the chillin u want than i'de go 4 kerela and head for the cliff top at Varkala unbelievably good fresh fish to eat there . A great place to chill with no hassles. hire a bike and head along the coast to some abso stunning ' virgin' beach's.

I know it depends on the standard of hotel, but overall what are the general costs for food and beer like?

airasia are selling cheap tickets now for a new service KL to Goa.

Do they fly from Thailand? No point if they don't. You can fly BKK to Kerala for around 11,000 baht return, which is pretty cheap.

Really just somewhere to chillout for a few days. At my age I don't fancy the heat and turmoil of the larger cities, and I don't want to be hassled by touts and beggars every 5 minutes. Maybe Sri Lanka might be a better option?

Sri Lanka has possibilities but stay away from the west coast as similar weather as discussed but east and north coast will be dry. I havn't been that side so cannot give recommendations for hotel or general costs.

If you do head to Sri Lanka Cathay has business class returns for 23,600baht on select dates.

I know it depends on the standard of hotel, but overall what are the general costs for food and beer like?
Going from v v cheap rooms to mid range ie 60 / 70£ and food is cheap eg in town for 2 u can get a veggie thali eat as much as u want for a couple maybe 3 us I'd guess now on the cliff 10/12 us will buy u a fresh fish dinner or pizza and salad with a beer, but the guys who've been this year would confirm that. Edited by rijit

Where can we find a cheap bungalow on the beach without touts and sellers hassle in India ?

Do Thai style quiet beaches exist ?

Namaste ♥♥♥

Travel broadens the mind, there is a world outside Thailand.

Where can we find a cheap bungalow on the beach without touts and sellers hassle in India ?

Do Thai style quiet beaches exist ?

Namaste ♥♥♥

Google the cliffs at varkala. Loads of really nicw cafes restaraunts and a lot of hotels /guest houses have vieiws straight over the sea. Overall Imo Its great , no terrible hastles the locals dont allow it. and got its own little beach cut off from the main beach and <deleted> amazing array.of cheap daily fresh fish ro eat, tuna kingfish, even had blue marlin its straght of the boat . unfortunatly they.aint the best of cooks but in terms of quality its up there with thailand of the 1980's

rijit