Car inspections in CM

chingmai331

Went yesterday to renew the decal on the window. My first time to do so. Bought the insurance then was told to go to inspection station for car check-up. Inspection station 2 km down the road, does not seem to be a govt facility. But very few autos lined up for inspection so i must wonder why my car and not, apparently, all cars.

The boys checked the brakes, wipers, maybe lights and stuck a tube in the tailpipe. Eventually i passed and proceeded back to Land Transport office for the decal.

What's the story on the car inspections. anyone know? My car old, 1999. Does that make a difference? I'm a farang, is that pertinent? Do they check the tailpipe emissions of the Red Cars and tuk-tuks? The inspection cost 200 B.

The car testing stations are all owned by insurance companies insuring cars. Not only will they test the vehicle many will arrange insurance cover, the minimum, and do your renewal for the tax disc as well. All part of the service. You can just have the car tested with nothing else, around 100 Baht.

Just take the car there and buy the insurance from them.

The inspection used to consist of testing the brakes on a roller, writing down the chassis number, exhaust emission and maybe, only maybe walking under the car in a pit and banging the prop. shaft with a rubber mallet.

This year I took my old Toyota in and there was a brake test and nothing else.

The windscreen is cracked, the reversing lights were not working and I had a back brake light off, it really doesn't seem to matter.

Actually checked the wipers - that's unusual - the guy must have been bored. Wipers - one of a number of reasons why many Thais slow down to 20kph whenever it rains. Whether it's rainy or sunny the main reason is of course using a smart-phone they can't understand. The phone may be smart .........................

If these Government 'testing' stations were to, at very least, check that the wipers were efficient and the lights actually worked there would immediately be a significant reduction in accidents across the nation; for a period after the test anyway. Anyone ever seen the BIB pulling over those with no lights after sunset? Would appear to me as a major cash-cow for them and could even save a few lives.

It's normal. I use a local test station that until this year have always done quite a thorough inspection including all the lights, brake lights, wipers, exhaust and checking the steering etc underneath the car as well as brake testing.

This year it's a different guy there and he only checked the brakes.

"If these Government 'testing' stations were to, at very least, check that the wipers were efficient and the lights actually"

Nothing to do with government, all are private run by insurance companies, some good some not so.

Car inspection in Thailand is a joke.....on Koh Samui they used to checked my exhaust, brakes, lights, wipers,...Chasis and engine nr....far not as thoroughly as in my country in Europe, but that was the best I ever had in Thailand....In Chiang Mai my wife knows a guy that works at the Car inspection. needles to say we never have to go anymore....every year he picks up the car papers, does the paperwork and brings it back the next day for a small fee.....!!... T.I.T......

I have a old beat up 4X4 but take very good care of it. I am a maniac if it concerns my car....check all the lights on a regular basis. always change the fatly light strait away, check for oil leaks almost every day...if there is anything that doesn't work properly I fix or have it fixed strait away.....all the mechanics and electrics are in excellent order in my car....We go on Off road trips on a regular basis and I want to reduce the chance of engine trouble in the mountains or forests....

Best regards.

Edited by off road pat

"If these Government 'testing' stations were to, at very least, check that the wipers were efficient and the lights actually"

Nothing to do with government, all are private run by insurance companies, some good some not so.

One of many reasons why many do not bother to post.

Pedantic corrections being more significant than the issue being addressed.