Farang Monk In Thailand - How?

HansVilder

title self explanatory . . . how does one go about living in Thailand in a Thai Temple (full time) as a farang if the wish takes him there...? and can he legally do that? serious & informed responses only please from those that know, have done it or know others that have done it.

thanks.

Many foreigners live as full time monks in Thailand (or other neighboring countries).

How you go about doing this will depend on how long you wish to stay and practice.

You can practice as a Lay Person using whatever Permission of Stay you currently have (subject to the rules of that permission of stay)

You can petition to practice as a novice.

You can petition to become a fully ordained monk (though you may need a special Permission of Stay)

The Wat/Monastery you pick can discuss the visa/permission of stay requirements with you.

You might want to search ThaiVisa for past topic threads, like these one:

Started by khaowong1, 2009-07-08 14:03 -- 34 replies
Started by RandoBrando, 2013-10-20 01:54 -- 74 replies
Started by jayjay2001, 2013-05-01 13:51 -- 5 replies
Started by jayjay2001, 2013-05-01 03:58 -- 14 replies

Find a Wat that interests you and has had foreign monks in residence before and go and talk to the Abbot, spend some time there as a layperson first.

The visa rules may have tightened since but when I did it 12 years ago once you are ordained you get a 12 month visa and you'd need to report to immigration every 3 months so they can verify you are still a monk.

i was a monk about 30 years ago. i went to wat lam pueng in chiangmai. i talked with the abbot then, ajahn tong. he told me to learn the pali words to become ordained a monk. he instructed a senior monk to teach it to me 3 days a week, an hour at a time if i remember. i did that for 2 or 3 months. there were no other foreigner as monks there but they did have a meditation school with lots of foreigners attending.

after i was ordained i was given a 'monk passport' and using that with my regular passport the temple took care of my visa for me.

i was only a monk for 4 months but it was a very rewarding experience for me and a proud time of my life in Thailand.

best of luck to you.

I think you have to prove that you are immoral first and then take a drinking test

I'm an atheist. I don't want to offend anyone who is longing for spiritual things or practice real Buddhism. However, in view of almost daily news about monk's behavior or what fishy business in the temples here comes to light today, I would say the best entry ticket is a reference from "la familia" in Sicily signed by the Don de Don.

I think you have to prove that you are immoral first and then take a drinking test

I'm an atheist. I don't want to offend anyone who is longing for spiritual things or practice real Buddhism. However, in view of almost daily news about monk's behavior or what fishy business in the temples here comes to light today, I would say the best entry ticket is a reference from "la familia" in Sicily signed by the Don de Don.

Impossible to offend anybody living in truth. Whatever their truth is. I've a great joke here , but you don't know me.

Monk preparation for a Farang consists of marrying a Thai woman half your age...building a house in an Issan village...purchasing a new truck and motorcycle...set her and her family up in a money loosing business...and become a stranger in your own home as you are ignored by your new Thai family...

This preparation makes becoming a Monk seamless and a step toward regaining self-esteem and happiness...wai2.gif

If you're in England There's a Thai temple in Wimbledon south London called "Wat Puthapathip" or something like that, there are many English monks there, I'm sure they can give correct advice.

As far as I know:

1. You have to be Buddhist.

2. Find a temple that you like/ accepts you. Get a date of when you want to become a monk.

3. There are some documents you need to complete, get it signed by the head monk in the area, he will also give you a monk name which you will need later.

4. MUST Learn (memories the script to become a monk).

5. Enter the ritual to become a monk.

I think that's about it. Also be prepared to spend a lot of time at the temple and learn the way before becoming one.

AH. This isn't about you.

correct, i am neither immoral nor am i a drug user or an alcoholic, i have never been to prison and i used to work for my living and not look for an easy way out ie become a monk and live from hand outs given to me for dubious services like promoting superstition, fortune telling, blessing cars etc.

Being ignorant and judgmental is not a good attribute. Many many good temples with correct conduct in abundance. Doing charity work and working for others. But do you think that's a news item?

Don't wake up. They like it if you believe all the spoon fed nonsense.

If you're in England There's a Thai temple in Wimbledon south London called "Wat Puthapathip" or something like that, there are many English monks there, I'm sure they can give correct advice.

As far as I know:

2. Find a temple that you like/ accepts you. Get a date of when you want to become a monk.

3. There are some documents you need to complete, get it signed by the head monk in the area, he will also give you a monk name which you will need later.

I think that's about it. Also be prepared to spend a lot of time at the temple and learn the way before becoming one.

I studied meditation and Thai at the Thai Temple in Wimbledon from 1992 -1994 (http://www.buddhapadipa.org/), at the same time Phra Peter Pannapadipo. We came over at the same time in 1994 we had been involved with the Anglo-Thai Foundation in sponsoring poor children's education. He moved to a Temple in Nakhon Sawan and set up the SET Foundation to carrying on this work. He has written 3 books, Phra Farang, Little Angels and One Step at a time published by Bangkok Post Books and still available from Asia Books etc. The monks at Wimbledon and KIngs Bromley in the UK are from Wat Mahatat in Bangkok near Sanam Luang. It is next to the Buddhist University and Thammasat. If you are in Thailand then go to Wat Mahatat or in the UK Kings Bromley to find out the procedure. You have to learn Pali, chanting and meditation but not Thai. Peter told me when he came over here that he only spoke Pali and could not speak Thai.

If you are serious, send my a private message through the forum message system and I can put you in touch with the Abbot, Ven. ChaowKhun Phrapanyabuddhiwithet (Dr Laow Panyasiri) in based in Kings Bromley UK at http://watmahathatuk.org/.

whistling.gif There was an ordained Buddhist monk who was a Farang, originally from the U.K. if I recall correctly, that regularly posted on this very forum topic but later voluntarily disrobed due to , I believe, family problems. As I recall some of his comments on his experiences as a monk were quite interesting.

So yes, it is possible to do it if you are willing to undertake the effort and to find the right WAT to accept you as a novice.

If you look you will see there is a category of Non immigrant visas , I believe it is an "R" visa that does allow you to enter and stay in Thailand based upon Religious studies.

Od course, like any Thai visa, you have to meet certain requirements to get one.

Obviously, I believe it requires a Thai WAT to sponsor you to get such a visa.

But I don't know the particular requirements you must meet.

Bottom line, if you are serious about making the effort, you can become a monk, and stay in Thailand.

However, don't expect it to be easy. Only serious candidates need apply.

As far as I know:

I studied meditation and Thai at the Thai Temple in Wimbledon from 1992 -1994 (http://www.buddhapadipa.org/), at the same time Phra Peter Pannapadipo. We came over at the same time in 1994 we had been involved with the Anglo-Thai Foundation in sponsoring poor children's education. He moved to a Temple in Nakhon Sawan and set up the SET Foundation to carrying on this work. He has written 3 books, Phra Farang, Little Angels and One Step at a time published by Bangkok Post Books and still available from Asia Books etc. The monks at Wimbledon and KIngs Bromley in the UK are from Wat Mahatat in Bangkok near Sanam Luang. It is next to the Buddhist University and Thammasat. If you are in Thailand then go to Wat Mahatat or in the UK Kings Bromley to find out the procedure. You have to learn Pali, chanting and meditation but not Thai. Peter told me when he came over here that he only spoke Pali and could not speak Thai.

If you are serious, send my a private message through the forum message system and I can put you in touch with the Abbot, Ven. ChaowKhun Phrapanyabuddhiwithet (Dr Laow Panyasiri) in based in Kings Bromley UK at http://watmahathatuk.org/.

The son of a friend on my wife became 'monk for a month' at the Wimbledom Templr.

I stayed in a Wat Ram Poeng Northeast Meditation Centre, Chiang Mai, about 8 years ago for 10 days. There was no requirement other than to have a valid visa, observe the precepts and carry out your duties as you saw fit. Upon completion of the stay I made a donation.

A lot depends on why you want to do this, be it spiritual or whatever. In terms of the length of stay or your status as a practicing Buddhist, well it is entirely up to your devotion. Just showing up and asking to be ordained would not be suitable, but you can carry on as a yogi as long as you wanted - that was then anyway. I have since seen a couple of reports that Monasteries like these were being marketed in the US for people with addictions, as an option for reform. I was disappointment that this came with a price tag as would come with any package tour. That is not what it is supposed to be about. Things change........

I met some interesting people, two in particular stood out and left a bad taste in my mouth. One was a stereotype s-pat, and was there only to save money and escape some issues he was having in his relationship, real free loader. Another was a guy who appeared to be just there for a detox and a different sort of trip so to speak, he got a little too 'into' the meditation but I think he was just having flashbacks. He asked the Ajahn if he could be ordained after 10 days so he could wear the full orange getup, but was refused. The Ajahn was pretty smart to these ego trippers and will weed out the fakes.

There were also many farang like me just trying the experience and soaking it in. I would recommend it highly, but do ask yourself what you are looking from the experience. Best is to try contact the Wat, depending on where you are thinking about doing it, and speak to them directly. As I said, a lot may have changed.

A bit of caution with some of the "Monk for a Month" -type arrangements.

I've heard some outsiders make a living by advertising, arranging and coordinating for short novice stays for a hefty fee paid by the novice. The Wat/Temple/Monastary/Center gets the person/people but none of the money.

I've heard some outsiders make a living by advertising, arranging and coordinating for short novice stays for a hefty fee paid by the novice. The Wat/Temple/Monastary/Center gets the person/people but none of the money.

You are sure they get nothing are you ?? doesn't sound like a Temple to let a good money making scheme go wasted. I visited a Temple in the country with the missus and while walking around in the grounds outside, the Abbot came over and asked if i would like to be a novice, he didn't ask the younger Thai men who were with us, who i would have thought would have been a more natural target, i said no i have enough money troubles.

You are sure they get nothing are you ?? doesn't sound like a Temple to let a good money making scheme go wasted. I visited a Temple in the country with the missus and while walking around in the grounds outside, the Abbot came over and asked if i would like to be a novice, he didn't ask the younger Thai men who were with us, who i would have thought would have been a more natural target, i said no i have enough money troubles.

Was your comment meant to address the "Monk for a Month" project?

It's an advertised 'experience' put up for sale on the Internet and hawked to foreign nightstand Buddhists and the curious with money.

Unless you traveled to that Temple because of an stay advert I don't believe you're talking the same thing.

I spend 18 months as an ordained Monk in Thailand. The hardest part if finding an Abbot that can speak good English to help you with your Dhamma and meditation.

I spend 18 months as an ordained Monk in Thailand. The hardest part if finding an Abbot that can speak good English to help you with your Dhamma and meditation.

*para* - by virtue of your obvious dedication, there aren't many robe doning local that could equal your questions with answers, even with the best of English. I'd love to hear more about those 18 months. Pm me

*para* - by virtue of your obvious dedication, there aren't many robe doning local that could equal your questions with answers, even with the best of English. I'd love to hear more about those 18 months. Pm me

YGM my friend......

Odd when I try and PM it says you cant receive any?

Edited by Para