I wish to immigrate to thailand and become a monk.

RandoBrando

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish to immigrate to thailand and become a monk, taking the vow of silence and leaving every thing behind and never looking back.

Can I do this?

You can definately become a monk

There visas for this.

Should try it for short period first

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a good friend who was ordained in Thailand and was a monk for several years, Phra Peter Pannadpadipo was his given Pali name and even wrote a few books whilst still a monk. Although ultimately he was pretty critical of Thai Buddhism, or specifically the non-Buddhist functions that monks perform in Thailand.

I don't know which country you reside in , but if in the UK , Australia, or America (and probably other countries) there are Thai temples that you can check out first.

But sabaijai has posted all the officialdom that you need to know.

• Like 2

I had a good friend who was ordained in Thailand and was a monk for several years, Phra Peter Pannadpadipo was his given Pali name and even wrote a few books whilst still a monk. Although ultimately he was pretty critical of Thai Buddhism, or specifically the non-Buddhist functions that monks perform in Thailand.

I don't know which country you reside in , but if in the UK , Australia, or America (and probably other countries) there are Thai temples that you can check out first.

But sabaijai has posted all the officialdom that you need to know.

I studied with Phra Peter at the Thai Temple in Wimbledon, my aim was also to come to Thailand as a monk, however I met my Thai Wife in the UK and we came here together at the same time as Peter. Our teacher and mentor was Phra Khru Maha Lao who is now abbot of the Thai Temple in Kings Bromley, near Lichfield in the UK. He has set up a number of Temples in the UK and if he is currently resident there I recommend that he studies there first. He can contact Phra Maha Lao in the UK. Alternatively there are Thai Temples now in many Countries. Phra Khru Maha Lao will be coming here on November 11th. The centre in Thailand for Buddhist Teaching is Wat Maha Tat and its adjacent Buddhist University.

How do you look in orange and clean shaven? biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

Joking aside, if you're dead serious about this, yes, it can be done. If you're in some post-crisis stage of your life and feel there's nothing more where you find yourself today (or something more, you can decide now or later which it is...,) it could be just what you need. And you're not locked into it for life.

Be judicious with your life, the timing of such an undertaking, and absolutely certain it is what you wish to do. If there's even a hint of hesitation after taking advisory and doing research from some of the informational posts here you're likely making a mistake.

Hope that won't be the case. Good luck.

With an avatar image like that, I wonder if you really meant what you said about becoming a monk.

I was once curious about monks when I first saw them in Siem Reap, I even bumped into a farang monk who was visiting the temple most likley doing pilgrimage. As one mentioned said in this thread, you can probably check first in your area.

How long are visas?

About 4 inches by 3 wide.

LOL!

This is a naive fantasy.

firstly, you probably have not ever been to Thailand, otherwise you would know that Thai monks don't take vows of silence. Perhaps your knowledge of Buddhism comes from watching Hangover II?

Secondly, what would happen when you give up all your wordly possessions and then decide you don't actually like sleeping on a hard titled floor and being eaten by mosquitoes while feeling hungry and trying to ignore the massive boner under your sabong robe?

I've been a monk in Thailand and it made me see the light! I am no longer a Buddhist, but still follow the teachings of the Buddha...

Bankei

• Like 2

I wish to immigrate to thailand and become a monk, taking the vow of silence and leaving every thing behind and never looking back.

Can I do this?

You can definately become a monk

There visas for this.

Should try it for short period first

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Me too----- the job is easy going and the money is fantastic

Ask yourself this. Do I want to dress up like a monk? Is it a fashion show? Do I care what people think of me as a monk? Do I want acceptance for it? Do I know about the things "monks" know about? Do Thai people know what monks are about or is it like Christianity in your country. Be true to yourself.

A few years ago I was on standby to teach some special English classes for the monks at Wat Dhammakaya, and they were very keen to get me into the monkhood there. Even after I told them that I was no longer available to teach i continued to receive personal invitations to get indoctrinated into their scene. They are quite controversial and their leader strikes me as quite weird with his teachings on Steve Jobs and his past and future incarnations. I think they are the wealthiest Buddhist organization in Thailand.

I am fairly sure they have a foreign monk contigent as well as Dharma centers in America and other places outside of Thailand. As I practice Mahayana Buddhism already it wasn't a good fit for me at all, and I never even gave becoming a monk a second thought but the monks' condos were vast and the poshest I have ever seen for monks. They were well fed, shinier and healthier than most of the monks you see in Thailand.

Generally, tho', the important thing is your western comfort. You will, in most cases, have to kiss that goodbye. However, Wat Dhammakaya, and the Niguy might be better groups as far as giving you a minimal comfort level westerners assume is basic and which isn't here.

"I wish to immigrate to thailand and become a monk, taking the vow of silence and leaving every thing behind and never looking back."

This has to be the biggest joke today. Only christian monks bother with the vow of silence. I think you should watch "The bullet proof monk", then learn about Buddhism. If you are still convinced that is your path to happiness then go for it and stop asking silly questions.