Ed Visa For Becoming A Monk?

jayjay2001

Hello,

I've tried posting in the TV visa forum, but am not getting a definitive answer regarding my questions. So, I'm asking the TV members here.

I understand that one can study to be foreign monk in Thailand, staying in Thailand with an ED visa for this purpose:

From the Ney York Thai Embassy web page:

Non immigrant visa-ED: For the purposes of studying, work study tours, observation tours, participating in projects
or seminars, attending training courses, or studying to be a foreign Buddhist monk in Thailand.

I also understand an "R" visa can be used.

Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone know what the difference is regarding using an "ED" visa vs an "R" visa for studying to be a monk?

2) Is anyone familiar with obtaining an ED visa for becoming / being a monk in Thailand? If so, can you respond to my plan /scenario regarding if I have it correct?......

I'll be arriving in Thailand on May 4 (using the 30 day visa exemption option), and will be staying in Pattaya until about June 1st before going off to live at the forest monastery.

Steps I will be taking to get the ED visa are:

(i.) During the first week of May, I plan on going to the forest momastery to get a letter from the head monk stating my "acceptance" there for becoming a monk. (He knows me and I've been accepted to stay at the Wat)

(ii.) Then, the week before my 30 day visa exemption is up (the beginning of the 4th week of May), I plan on heading to Cambodia to visit the Thai embassy in PP. I'll bring:

• the completed visa application form
  • photos
  • passport photocopy
  • and the letter from the Head Monk from the Wat I will be staying at.

Am I missing anything regarding my ED visa plan?

Thanks.

JJ

Non-Ed visa is to study in University as an already ordained monk.

Non-R can be extended through the Ministry for Buddhism. For forest temples, you need the latter - it is required to have a letter from the ministry of Buddhism to get this visa. Go on a 2 month tourist visa and take a letter from the Abbot to the Ministry of Buddhism, and they will either issue a letter to change visa type, or else issue letter for you to get a Non-R somewhere abroad.

Non-Ed visa is to study in University as an already ordained monk.

Non-R can be extended through the Ministry for Buddhism. For forest temples, you need the latter - it is required to have a letter from the ministry of Buddhism to get this visa. Go on a 2 month tourist visa and take a letter from the Abbot to the Ministry of Buddhism, and they will either issue a letter to change visa type, or else issue letter for you to get a Non-R somewhere abroad.

Sarathi,

Thank you for your reply. I won't be able to go to Thailand on a 2 month visa, as I am leaving this Friday for Thailand and will be going on the 30 day visa exemption. But, I believe I can the 60 day visa, if needed, by going to a neighboring country's Thai embassy (e.g., in Phnom Penh) and flying back into Thailand.

Thanks for the info on the "R" visa and the Ministry of Buddhism.

Two further questions, if you'd be so kind:

1) Is the Ministry of Buddhism the same as the National Office of Buddhism?: http://www.onab.go.th/en/index.htm. (I believe it is but just want to confirm.)

2) Do you know what needs to be included in the letter from the Abbot?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

JJ

Edited by jayjay2001