Internet problems

hathairat2711

I recently purchased a Lenovo Z5070 core i7 Gb4 but am having problem with some web pages. Either too slow to load or no data received.

I have just actioned a Lenovo diagnostic test and all passed except the wireless test as below:

Wireless

Display name Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC MAC Address 2C:33:7A:5F:AC:E9 Manufacturer Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Name {1EB50A13-4ADD-487A-A2CC-2C034EBAEBE3} Product name Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC Diagnostics Radio enabled test Passed Network scan test Passed Signal strength test Passed Local connection test Warning

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Possibly not a thing wrong with your computer; instead you just have a slow internet connection or the sites your are having issues with is running slow, especially if they are international websites. Thai Internet Service Providers (ISP) are not known for providing good international bandwidth.

I too have a Lenovo laptop...a 18 month old Z510 i7 CPU laptop...no problem in internet pages loading quickly "except when my True internet connection slows down"....but of course the same problem appears on my other home laptops and Android devices....it just the internet connection slowing down. I'm on a True cable/DOCSIS 15Mb plan here in Bangkok. I know it's my ISP provider's problem, primarily with choked international bandwidth, because as mentioned all my computer/tablets/smartphones on the home Wifi connection will slow down and I can do some speedtests to domestic and international websites to confirm the slow down....almost always the slow down is to international websites.

Have you done any speed tests to domestic and international website? If you get your ISP plan full speed to domestic websites but not international website then it's just your ISP poor international bandwidth. If you are not getting full speed to domestic web sites then it probably an ISP problem/bad physical line connection.

Also, since you operating off a Wifi connection do you have a good, strong Wifi signal? If the Wifi signal is weak or neighbor's Wifi signals interfering with yours, it can really slow down your internet connection. Maybe that is what the diagnostic test is really telling you. If you are using a internet connection in condo then maybe the internet signal fee ding your condo building has too many users.

Have you tried a hard-wire (ethernet cable) connection between your laptop and router in trying to determine whether it's your internet connection/line causing the problem or just a poor Wifi signal. Give that a try.

And also do some speed tests to domestic/in-country and international sites.

One last also, go into Control Panel, System, Devices Manager, Network Adapters, and click on your Wifi circuit to see if the Device Status says it working properly. If it's not identified as working properly maybe you have the wrong Wifi circuit device driver loaded. Be sure you used the Wifi circuit driver for you model that on the Lenono support websites....laptops can be very picky about wifi/lan circuit drivers.

Thanks Pib for that lengthy response.

I am only on 13Mb and considering upgrading to 15 or even 20mb and can be very slow at times.

Using WiFi and unable to try on ethernet cable as the laptop doesn't have an output.

Located in greater Bangkok and not the touristy area. I would guess not too many users where I am. I have a strong WiFi signal.

Control panel, etc. All devices are working correctly.

I will action some speed tests.

Thanks again.

Upgrading your plan to 15 or 20 will only improve internet WITHIN Thailand. International speeds will be exactly the same as you have now.

If you consistently have a slow connection you should call your ISP support to have a technician come to your home or consider switching to a different service provider.

There should be an RJ-45 input between the VGA and HDMI ports on the left side of that computer - this is where you plug in your internet wire connection (Ethernet).

At least the manual I just downloaded says it should be there.rolleyes.gif

There should be an RJ-45 input between the VGA and HDMI ports on the left side of that computer - this is where you plug in your internet wire connection (Ethernet).

At least the manual I just downloaded says it should be there.rolleyes.gif

Thanks lopburi.

It's a new computer but having said that, it could be my age.

Must digest the manual and yes, I have located the connection.

Edited by hathairat2711

Let's just check your basic 13Mb internet plan by doing a speedtest at this in-Thailand TOT speedtest site: Link.

What are your results.

Download 13.27Mb.

I have also tried all the different browsers but to my amazement, the one that came with the laptop (although I had to download it) was Maxthon Cloud and now my internet problems have all disappeared and very fast. I'm sure in time, I'll find problems not to my liking in due course but at the moment, great.

So, your "local" internet connection is good. If you were having problems with just specific websites that are based internationally like in the U.S. or Europe, you might want to run to speed tests to international websites....the your international bandwidth sucks, then sites can timeout, the pages pull up slowly, etc.

Never heard of Maxthon Cloud until you mentioned it. I use Chrome as my primary browser and IE11 as the secondary....have also used Firefox. Everyone has their own preference for a browser....kinda like different people like different colors....etc. Chrome and Firefox's big advantage is their thousands of available add-on/extension available for download/install; IE has much, much less available add-on/extensions. But add-ons/extensions can also create problems, but generally they are a good thing.

You can have multiple browsers on your computer without any conflict problem. In fact I would recommend you have two browsers loaded so if you are having a problem with a website(s) you could switch to the other browser to see if the problem goes away. Some sites are built around IE (like Thai Immigration's new 90 day online reporting system) and may have minor issues with Chrome, Firefox, etc....or the sites could work fine with Chrome, Firefox, and have an issue with IE....it all depends on how the website developer built the site and the version of browser you are using. I would just recommend you have two browsers loaded as it should reduce headaches and blood pressure at times.

According to StatsCounter, below snapshot shows worldwide market share for the last 12 months for the top five browsers being used on PCs/Tablets/Consoles.

http://gs.statcounter.com/

post-55970-0-45807900-1434103487_thumb.j

And if we change that just to PCs, the snapshot looks like below.

post-55970-0-60088700-1434103611_thumb.j

I have two Lenovos notebooks and two Sony Vaio notebooks. The Sonys have a faster Internet connection and reliably remain connected to bluetooth mice. The Lenovos constantly drop the bluetooth connection despite different wireless and bluetooth drivers downloaded from the Lenovos website and tweaking the bluetooth settings to prevent the computers from turning off the bluetooth to save power. My conclusion is that the wireless adapters in the Lenovos are not very good. For the Lenovos, I have switched to wireless mice and they are working OK. To be fair, the Lenovo machines were cheaper although one is an i-7 and both have 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSDs. I don't think I'll buy a Lenovos in the future.

For the OP, it would be interesting if you could try a machine that you know has strong WiFi at your place and see if there is a difference. I suspect that Lenovo is using cheap parts. BTW, I use Chrome on all of my computers. Good luck with getting speedier Internet.

Good answers guys. I'm finished with Lenovo. I believe the Chinese bought that from IBM and it used to be a top notch corporate grade laptop.

I am rid of mine now but I had to buy a USB wireless nic, install its driver and disable the one in the laptop in device manager. It was that bad.

I don't know if you can see THIS LINK but it's very similar to what solved my problem. I have no idea if the NIC in the laptop is the problem but it was for me. BTW I also have a powered USB hub (6 port) in USB 3.0 because there's so much I use USB for.

Laptop network drivers can be very picky, especially in getting the Wifi to work consistently/reliably. Ensuring you have the network drivers installed from your laptop manufacturer's support website can be a must for proper operation. DO NOT assume Wifi chip drivers from Windows will work properly...I'm going to guess they will the great majority of the time, but minority of the time they will not work properly. A couple of examples related to my two approximately eight year Toshiba laptops which I still have and use....both running Win 7.

Around 7 years ago with one of the Toshiba's the Wifi connection start being intermittent...it had always been rock steady...but out of the blue I was having very intermittent connections...I would could maintain a connection to the Wifi router but not get an IP address from my internet provider. OK, I reloaded the Wifi chip driver for my laptop model from the Toshiba website and the Wifi is rock steady again.....then about a week later the problem reappeared. Finally figured out the problem....I have my Windows set to automatically install updates...and it had been installing an updated driver that caused the intermittent problem. Once I figured it out, I "hide" that driver update so it would never load/install again and reinstalled the driver from the Toshiba website....back to being rock steady...has been ever since.

Just last week on my other Toshiba laptop...Windows identified an Optional update for my Wifi chip (a different chip than my other Toshiba laptop)...I almost always install optional updates if they are just driver related. After installation I had the blue screen of death...Windows would start booting and about halfway through the boot process I get the blue screen of death. I did a system restore to a few days earlier and the laptop is running again. I turn the computer off and on several times....no boot problem/no blue screen of death. I then do a Windows update check and it identifies the Optional Wifi chip driver which I once again install....and once again I'm back to the blue screen of death. I restore once again to get my computer working. Then I hide that offending Wifi chip driver and it's been fine since. I was surprised a mere Wifi chip driver could cause the blue screen of death like you use to get in the old Windows days with video drivers, but the driver was surely causing the blue screen of death.

Yeap, beware if Windows offers you an updated driver for your laptop Wifi chip....it may just work fine...and then again it may not. Yeap, based on my experience laptop Wifi chip drivers can be very picky. Knock on wood (my head), so far I haven't had any Wifi chip issues with my 18 month old Lenovo laptop.

But one thing I have noticed Wifi router signal strength-wise in my two story concrete house here in Thailand is that those concrete floors and walls have a big impact on signal strength...and when signal strengh gets too low you have a slower connection and can have connection problems. Just one concrete wall/floor approx 8 inches/20cm thick can cause around a 30db drop in signal strength. I never had this issue in the U.S. because my U.S. homes had wooden floors and wooden/plaster walls which only reduced the Wifi signal a few decibels (db). So if your walls/floors are solid concrete/brick possibly laced with rebar, the you can expect some significant Wifi signal reduction even with N routers (5GHz or 2.8GHz). I have an N access point (2.8GHz) for downstairs and a G router for upstairs. In those cases where you can get a line-of-site connection (no obstructions) between your Wifi router and connecting devices you will get a much stronger signal and probably a faster/more stable connection. Location, Location, Location of your Wifi router and connecting devices is so important for a good signal connection. Wifi can be a pain sometimes depending on your setup, home construction/layout, etc.

• 1 year later...
On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, qaviz said:

Keep following points in your mind while loading web pages:

• Reduce the overall size of the initial HTML page. Fewer lines of code always load faster.
  • Most web users expect your page to load in 3 seconds or less. Unfortunately, the average load time for a website is 10 seconds. To measure how quickly a website downloads on various Internet connections, we turn to Google’s Website Speed Tool which offers tips for mobile and desktop. While it’s not a 100 percent accurate measurement of how quickly your site loads, it will provide you with a snapshot. Google Analytics can also tell you your site speed according to your users.
  • Make sure to optimize your menus to be as efficient as possible to avoid bloated code.
  • Use latest version of browser

Here is Lenovo Z50-70 Laptop Manual that will give you more information on boost up web page speed/internet speed. 

Not only have you replied to a 2 year old post you seem to have replied from the perspective of a developer when I think you will find (if you read the thread properly) that the OP was a user.............:post-4641-1156693976: