Cause of Peter Riley Cambodia death 'unclear', inquest hears

Jonathan Fairfield

Cause of Peter Riley Cambodia death 'unclear', inquest hears

The exact details surrounding the death of a Jersey man in Cambodia are unclear, an inquest has heard.

Peter Michael Riley, 25, died in Sihanoukville Province in May but police say it is unclear exactly when he died due to the time difference.

Jersey Police were notified of the former Haut Vallee pupil's death on 25 May but said documents from Cambodia were still awaiting translation.

The inquest has been adjourned to allow his body to be released for cremation.

Police told the inquest they could not say who pronounced Mr Riley dead because of differences in procedures between Jersey and Cambodia.

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-06-13

I don't understand the bit about time difference as the time difference between Cambodia and anywhere else is a known quantity. I suspect what is more the problem is that the time of death, Cambodia time, is unknown. Which may be why they are trying to find someone who "pronounced" him dead i.e. a medical examiner type report but there won't be one. It is not that formal in Cambodia. Police would simply have observed the fact that he was dead, no formality about it, no trained person estimating time of death. Even had he died in a hospital they are not fussy about recording the exact time either and cause of death info in hospital records is virtually useless (the # cause of death in goivernment hospitals currently being "other").

I am afraid what information couldn't be determined in a UK autopsy, can't be obtained period.

I don't understand the bit about time difference as the time difference between Cambodia and anywhere else is a known quantity. I suspect what is more the problem is that the time of death, Cambodia time, is unknown. Which may be why they are trying to find someone who "pronounced" him dead i.e. a medical examiner type report but there won't be one. It is not that formal in Cambodia. Police would simply have observed the fact that he was dead, no formality about it, no trained person estimating time of death. Even had he died in a hospital they are not fussy about recording the exact time either and cause of death info in hospital records is virtually useless (the # cause of death in goivernment hospitals currently being "other").

I am afraid what information couldn't be determined in a UK autopsy, can't be obtained period.

Cambodia, if you haven't been there yet. is a place with it's own logics and mechanism, and where

everything goes, goes for money that is, and preferably US$,

so one should be surprise to see and here things that are uncommon or doesn't make sense

in Cambodia..... it is like the wild west of SE Asia.....

Cambodia, if you haven't been there yet. is a place with it's own logics and mechanism, and where

so one should be surprise to see and here things that are uncommon or doesn't make sense

I've lived in Cambodia for years, having lived in many other SE ASian countries, including Thailand. Wild West? 20 years ago maybe when it was a hairy place to be. You guys in TL have become pampered. Try the Philippines where you can all too often be held up on a bus in the provinces or on a boat to Sabang. I would suggest you get out more before making such statements. Indeed US$ will get you along way here, just the same as baht will in TL or Pesos in PI. And all SE Asian countries have their own logic and mechanisms - nothing new in thaty statement.

You couldn't pay me to live in TL or PI again. One man's meat is another one's poison......

Never lived in Cam but sounds like another place I know .... "Own logic", "Dosent make sense" etc. you know what I mean ...

^^^ true but what was appealing when you are young is not so appealing when you are older. Thailand knocks the spots off of those countries as we get closer to retirement.

As I said, one man's meat.....

20 years in the army and 16 years before that with a father who was harder to live with than khaki. "When soldiers die they go to heaven because they've already served their time in Hell" they used to say back in the day.

I'm not far from retirement myself, I choose to work. Having been a soldier through the dark days of the IRA and The Falklands, I expected the worst at any time, so dying doesn't bother me now and camping out a taxi ride from the nearest modern medical facility isn't a priority for me.

As I said, I've lived in Thailand, so enlighten me, "knocks the spots off Cambodia" I'm curious, how so? - apart from the better medical facilities?

^^^ true but what was appealing when you are young is not so appealing when you are older. Thailand knocks the spots off of those countries as we get closer to retirement.

20 years in the army and 16 years before that with a father who was harder to live with than khaki. "When soldiers die they go to heaven because they've already served their time in Hell" they used to say back in the day.

I'm not far from retirement myself, I choose to work. Having been a soldier through the dark days of the IRA and The Falklands, I expected the worst at any time, so dying doesn't bother me now and camping out a taxi ride from the nearest modern medical facility isn't a priority for me.

As I said, I've lived in Thailand, so enlighten me, "knocks the spots off Cambodia" I'm curious, how so? - apart from the better medical facilities?

I have a child and as a single parent priorities change. I live in Bangkok in a very good area..and all that comes with that..good medical, easy life style, close proximity to everything I need , good security, reasonable education etc..basically more choice..not anything I would have considered when I first came to Thailand in the late seventies...

My brother in law was blown up by the Ira in the chatrem ( spelling) bombing..he survived..your life perspective will be different from almost everyone else..especially those who come to live in Thailand today.

I have a Cambodian neighbor..lovely guy..

Good luck.

I have a child and as a single parent priorities change. I live in Bangkok in a very good area..and all that comes with that..good medical, easy life style, close proximity to everything I need , good security, reasonable education etc..basically more choice..not anything I would have considered when I first came to Thailand in the late seventies...

My brother in law was blown up by the Ira in the chatrem ( spelling) bombing..he survived..your life perspective will be different from almost everyone else..especially those who come to live in Thailand today.

I have a Cambodian neighbor..lovely guy..

Good luck.

Fair enough, your point is well made. Far more eloquent than the comment by ezzra which set me off. He seems to have formed his opinion from reading 'Phnom Penh off the Rails', which is about as pertinent in 2015 as basing ones idea of London from something written by Charles Dickens.

As I always say, one man's meat...... Good luck to you as well. Raising a child on your own anywhere in Asia must be a real challengs. Glad to hear your brother in law survived. I was indeed fortunate to come through unscathed.

Archived