Need a Good Mexican Restaurant for Son's Birthday

JT65

Would love to have some proper Mexican food. Not any Tex-mex or Cal Mex but proper Mexican.People who suggest Miguels etc have never tasted proper Mexican.

Always laugh a bit (or cringe) when somebody uses the word "proper" and here it is 3 times in one sentence ! ... what the hell is proper ? menudo? , iguana tamales? corn fungus? (yum) pumpkin seed mole?.... sure a "fonda" type resto would be nice, wonder if this town could support it. proper rolleyes.gif

I am talking about Mexican food that I had in Mexico. Food that comes with a plate of tortillas as a side. Eating at a restaurant in Mexico city with fresh tortillas being made in front of my eyes is Mexican food.

Of course a place in Chiang Mai could not support a proper Mexican restaurant but I hate people saying that such and such a restaurant is Mexican.They are simply talking about their westernized version of Mexican food they like. Simple question for you, have you ever been to Mexico?

Edit. To be honest I wish I could laugh but usually cringe at people like you daoyai making racist jokes.

Edited by Throatwobbler

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mexican food on sale around the world is as authentic as the Thai food on sale around the world. It is a passing imitation but does no justice to the real thing. American Mexican food is as far removed from the original as British Indian food is.. We all have our preferences. Yet some how I got grief because I said I like proper Mexican food and not the Americanized version.

Would love to have some proper Mexican food. Not any Tex-mex or Cal Mex but proper Mexican.People who suggest Miguels etc have never tasted proper Mexican.

Always laugh a bit (or cringe) when somebody uses the word "proper" and here it is 3 times in one sentence ! ... what the hell is proper ? menudo? , iguana tamales? corn fungus? (yum) pumpkin seed mole?.... sure a "fonda" type resto would be nice, wonder if this town could support it. proper rolleyes.gif

I am talking about Mexican food that I had in Mexico. Food that comes with a plate of tortillas as a side. Eating at a restaurant in Mexico city with fresh tortillas being made in front of my eyes is Mexican food.

Of course a place in Chiang Mai could not support a proper Mexican restaurant but I hate people saying that such and such a restaurant is Mexican.They are simply talking about their westernized version of Mexican food they like. Simple question for you, have you ever been to Mexico?

Edit. To be honest I wish I could laugh but usually cringe at people like you daoyai making racist jokes.

Racist joke? please explain, I like jokes but did I make one? I just listed some of my favorite authentic regional foods, (except menudo, I don't like but it is very popular) .... and by "westernized" i guess you mean northernized? but yea, been there ate that.

Edited by daoyai

The Mexican food on sale around the world is as authentic as the Thai food on sale around the world. It is a passing imitation but does no justice to the real thing. American Mexican food is as far removed from the original as British Indian food is.. We all have our preferences. Yet some how I got grief because I said I like proper Mexican food and not the Americanized version.

I don't think so....you got "grief", as you phrased it, for using the word "proper" as an adjective for food.

American Mexican food is as far removed from the original as British Indian food is..

There is really no such thing as "proper Mexican food", if you want to get picky. The modern version was derived from Spanish cuisine combined with indigenous Mesoamerican cooking after the Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire. It is just another type of fusion, that just goes further back than Tex-Mex and California-style Mexican. I like all three types of Mexican food, but put California-style Mexican at the top for my tastes.

I like "real" Indian food too, but prefer the British version even more. A lot of people do.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Racist joke? please explain, I like jokes but did I make one? I just listed some of my favorite authentic regional foods, (except menudo, I don't like but it is very popular) .... and by "westernized" i guess you mean northernized? but yea, been there ate that.

Yeah I should apologise for that comment. It just comes across a bit like when people say that Koreans eat dogs that that's all they think they eat. AArgh Mexicans, they eat lizards.

For real Mexican food we need a Taco Bell in town.whistling.gif

This is what we really need. Food with integrity.

post-87375-0-38466000-1434808050_thumb.j

post-87375-0-21703800-1434808080_thumb.j

Back on topic both Miguels and Salsa Kitchen are worthy of a kids party. Sunrise are ok and have a great selection of salsa sauces. Venue a bit tight for a party though.

Speaking of Salsa Kitchen, has anyone tried the new place called "Salsa Kitchen"? On the middle ring road going south on the left before you get to the Meechok intersection. I don't know but I guess its the same owners as the one on Huay Kaew. I dont really like any of CM's mexican places but willing to try new ones.

(BTW, I didn't read through all of the thread so sorry if this got already mentioned)

This topic inspired me to go check out Salsa Kitchen's new venue near Rimping Ruamchok.

Boy are we glad we did. This place blows the others out of the water. The food was delicious and the portions well sized. Great venue with loads of street parking. Service was prompt and very friendly.

Definitely up there on our family top 5 eating out choices.

We started with the nachos veggie, best we've had in CM without a doubt. The kids had plain nachos and cheese, that wasn't on the menu but they said no problem, lol

The fish (cod) tacos were how i dreamed they would be, awesome. The shrimp tacos were also very good. My son had pork chorizo tacos and he loved them. My girls shared a plate of ribs and that was more than ample, with a big serving of real mashed potatoes and 2 cobs of corn.

Kids had freshly squeezed lemon and orange drinks and my wife and I had lassi's, all delicious.

The total bill was around 1,450 baht for 5 very hungry souls. Great dinner indeed.

post-87375-0-83308100-1434893108_thumb.j

post-87375-0-22767500-1434893122_thumb.j

post-87375-0-57597200-1434893130_thumb.j

post-87375-0-56165700-1434893138_thumb.j

Sort of on topic here...

Sunrise Taco's are having a taco eating comp on Saturday the 26th. Free entry so i believe.

"Taco Eating Competition" A competition to eat as many Tacos as you can within 5 minutes. Sunrise Tacos challenges you to enter our 'Taco Eating Competition', with the opportunity to win prizes valued 2,000THB and Gift vouchers valued at 500THB at Sunrise Tacos Chiang Mai: Star Avenue Lifestyle Mall.

Competition applications can be submitted from now - 26th June 2015
Tel : 087 - 347 - 9989

post-87375-0-42407000-1435154481_thumb.j