Why do you want to marry again?

AlexRRR

A guy i once knew, good looking, great job

Hardly fits the demographic of most of the 'expat' basket cases who get married over here, most of whom are the wrong side of 55, wrong side of 90kg on the scales, left their looks behind in 1975, and haven't had a job since the 1980s.

sounds like your talking about me!tongue.png

.....since 1995, vis a vis the job bit....and am about 65 kilos. Looks?...well, twice recently, there have been attempts by much younger parties to pick me up/engage ....unfortunately the attempts were made by blokes.....

You have definitely been going to the wrong places and keeping the wrong company.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife & i were blissfully happy for over 35 years------- then we met.......coffee1.gif

Its an old joke I know--but I really do not think that the divorce rate is that high---in comparison to the west--

Latest statistics (published December 2012) estimate that 42% of first marriages in England and Wales end in divorce. A higher figure for 2nd marriages.

America 40-50% in the first marriage----up to 60% in the 2nd marriage http://www.apa.org/topics/divorce/

More than every other person in the west on a 2nd marriage getting divorced----is that what your seeing here ??

We are just about dealing in 100% 2nd marriages for the guys in Thailand---& honestly, maybe I am moving in different circles , but most I know are just so F%**king grateful for what they have got here ---compared to back home. The break up figures I know of are so much lower then when I get a letter from Oz .....usually telling me so & so have split & so have ....etc ....etc

One of the problems I have seen when living in Pattaya for a number of years was---- the opposite to the common saying...... You can take the girl out the bar but you cant take the bar out,,,,,,,etc ..etc....... No it was usually the guy you couldn't take out of the bar from what I saw-----he got married & still thought he would carry on as before----then sat wondering why she left.

There are faults on both sides of course-----wish they had figures to show us the stats----thing about being on Thai-Visa...... is that you usually get bad stories, as the saying goes---good news doesn't sell, Come on & say your really happy & the thread will last half a page----------come up with a story about being ripped off & it will be a tomb .

Not sure where you get those divorce rates from - the official figure for Thailand is something over 1 in 3. However, that ignores the fact that many 'marriages' are village weddings that do not get recorded.

I think the rate is much higher - and I doubt many of those gals in Pattaya or Nana are happily married!

My partner is from a 'normal' Isaan family and has 8 bothers and sisters - 6 have been divorced, 1 brother became a monk and the 'still married' sister hates her husband with a passion.

My wife comes from Bang Na in Bangkok. She has 3 brothers and no sisters. Her eldest brother has been divorced twice and is on his third marriage He has a daughter and 2 sons from the first 2 marriages. My wife is on her first marriage to me and she was 35 when we married and we have 1 son. Her middle brother is a casualty and a survivor (just about) of the stick it your arm, sniff it up your nose or smoke it drugs but he is very slowly recovering and has never married, and her younger brother is still on his first marriage after 20 years and they have one son of about 14.

It is not all gloom and doom marrying a Thai lady.

I met what I thought was a decent Thai girl. Her family were presses us to marry. She had a kid with her ex Thai bf. They had only lived together ..... I just kept saying no. The girl was very pretty. Turns ouf it was all about money. She told me one day she would leave unless I would marry her. I drove her to the van twenty min later.

I can still see the look on her face. I bought a new sim on. the way home.

good for you!

What a lot of cynical comments! My TGF comes from a perfectly good family, has a good job and owns a large house, new car etc. I spend time between the U.K and LOS, and we take holidays together, usually within Asia, and we are perfectly happy. Marriage? I don't know! Things are perfectly O.K as they are, but what the future holds, has yet to be decided. Age difference? She is just slightly younger than my eldest daughter in the U.K. but it doesn't make the slightest difference to us, but then I do work and specialize in Anti-aging Medicine (AAM). I think the other important consideration is that we are also best friends, and both working in different aspects of the medical profession, means that we can talk to each other and have common ground!

and of course she is chinese/thai hi so !! biggrin.png

What a lot of cynical comments! My TGF comes from a perfectly good family, has a good job and owns a large house, new car etc. I spend time between the U.K and LOS, and we take holidays together, usually within Asia, and we are perfectly happy. Marriage? I don't know! Things are perfectly O.K as they are, but what the future holds, has yet to be decided. Age difference? She is just slightly younger than my eldest daughter in the U.K. but it doesn't make the slightest difference to us, but then I do work and specialize in Anti-aging Medicine (AAM). I think the other important consideration is that we are also best friends, and both working in different aspects of the medical profession, means that we can talk to each other and have common ground!

Anti aging medicine...........cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

he's still very hansum!

I met what I thought was a decent Thai girl. Her family were presses us to marry. She had a kid with her ex Thai bf. They had only lived together ..... I just kept saying no. The girl was very pretty. Turns ouf it was all about money. She told me one day she would leave unless I would marry her. I drove her to the van twenty min later.

That should clear up the situation as wel know it in LOS?..?

post-53398-0-42788400-1434264875_thumb.j

post-53398-0-23708200-1434264898_thumb.j

"Though many humans still have that romantic idea of love forever, and willing to take a chance again and it seems again and again..."

I actually spent a great deal of time thinking on this and wanted to understand it larger than just my own needs. What was this infection we called love? Why did we desire to be infected? How does it cure itself- end?

I realized something about our human nature that deceives us in the sense we are not whole without another. I actually think this need for love is the same reflection, though viewed differently, than the mystic searching for love in god, or consciousness. Indeed, they often describe their journey as a lover. It is the same love expressing different manners. (See C.S. Lewis The Four Loves).

Also, it is true that life is magnified when in love with another. We desire something more, something deeper within us, or outside of us, and often assign incorrect values to another that they are the cure for our emptiness, or aloneness. Of course such common self deceit never works. A perfect example is friends and family telling us he/she is not good, she/he will cheat, or is already, but we do not see it or actually defend our lover instead. Later, we wonder how we could have been so blind. The need to have that...something that infects us to lie to ourselves and say he/she "completes us" actually enables all manner of injury to our self.

Perhaps later in life these things above remain true and we may even become aware of them, but we choose then to marry for the company, to share the passing of our seasons in life, to fill the empty places in the night, or a help maiden of sorts- indeed, romantic love can still strike when wizened to our tendency to self deceive. I am no longer convinced there is that perfect someone, though I was. While I think romantic love is the height of qualia, the defining characteristic of being human, it occurs to be when love begins with tortured bedsheets and 48 hour nights and being consumed by the other, it will not last; not mostly.

I choose to marry again for companionship and to have life magnified by the curiosity, beauty, and tenderness of another. As is another characteristic of love through our lives, "this one appears to be the right one;" "The others were just my journey to meet her." "I have matured in love." "If it does not work with her I will never again marry."

I cannot see past this filter. She really does seem to be the most lovely human I have ever met and I am blessed beyond my due measure to have found her.

My wife & i were blissfully happy for over 35 years------- then we met.......coffee1.gif

Its an old joke I know--but I really do not think that the divorce rate is that high---in comparison to the west--

Latest statistics (published December 2012) estimate that 42% of first marriages in England and Wales end in divorce. A higher figure for 2nd marriages.

America 40-50% in the first marriage----up to 60% in the 2nd marriage http://www.apa.org/topics/divorce/

More than every other person in the west on a 2nd marriage getting divorced----is that what your seeing here ??

We are just about dealing in 100% 2nd marriages for the guys in Thailand---& honestly, maybe I am moving in different circles , but most I know are just so F%**king grateful for what they have got here ---compared to back home. The break up figures I know of are so much lower then when I get a letter from Oz .....usually telling me so & so have split & so have ....etc ....etc

One of the problems I have seen when living in Pattaya for a number of years was---- the opposite to the common saying...... You can take the girl out the bar but you cant take the bar out,,,,,,,etc ..etc....... No it was usually the guy you couldn't take out of the bar from what I saw-----he got married & still thought he would carry on as before----then sat wondering why she left.

There are faults on both sides of course-----wish they had figures to show us the stats----thing about being on Thai-Visa...... is that you usually get bad stories, as the saying goes---good news doesn't sell, Come on & say your really happy & the thread will last half a page----------come up with a story about being ripped off & it will be a tomb .

Not sure where you get those divorce rates from - the official figure for Thailand is something over 1 in 3. However, that ignores the fact that many 'marriages' are village weddings that do not get recorded.

I think the rate is much higher - and I doubt many of those gals in Pattaya or Nana are happily married!

My partner is from a 'normal' Isaan family and has 8 bothers and sisters - 6 have been divorced, 1 brother became a monk and the 'still married' sister hates her husband with a passion.

In Canada I am the youngest in 5 children.

My oldest brother has been divorced 3 times, and now lives with a woman unmarried.

My second oldest brother has been divorced 1 time.

My sister 1 time.

My other brother 1 time,

And me 2 times.

So our Family Sibling Divorce Rate is 160%.

So is Canada better or worst than the divorce rates in Thailand?

My point being that one page does not make a book nor does 1 family reflect that countries divorce rate.

My point was that not one of the marriages in my partner's family were registered at the amphur so were 'under the radar' as far as official stats go.

I dont. as jerry said "i cant believe it happens so often, you have to see them day after day after day, it should happen like once in 100 years" or "weddings should be in bathing suits then when they say cay anyone see a reason for them not to? 100 hands go up"

"Though many humans still have that romantic idea of love forever, and willing to take a chance again and it seems again and again..."

I actually spent a great deal of time thinking on this and wanted to understand it larger than just my own needs. What was this infection we called love? Why did we desire to be infected? How does it cure itself- end?

I realized something about our human nature that deceives us in the sense we are not whole without another. I actually think this need for love is the same reflection, though viewed differently, than the mystic searching for love in god, or consciousness. Indeed, they often describe their journey as a lover. It is the same love expressing different manners. (See C.S. Lewis The Four Loves).

Also, it is true that life is magnified when in love with another. We desire something more, something deeper within us, or outside of us, and often assign incorrect values to another that they are the cure for our emptiness, or aloneness. Of course such common self deceit never works. A perfect example is friends and family telling us he/she is not good, she/he will cheat, or is already, but we do not see it or actually defend our lover instead. Later, we wonder how we could have been so blind. The need to have that...something that infects us to lie to ourselves and say he/she "completes us" actually enables all manner of injury to our self.

Perhaps later in life these things above remain true and we may even become aware of them, but we choose then to marry for the company, to share the passing of our seasons in life, to fill the empty places in the night, or a help maiden of sorts- indeed, romantic love can still strike when wizened to our tendency to self deceive. I am no longer convinced there is that perfect someone, though I was. While I think romantic love is the height of qualia, the defining characteristic of being human, it occurs to be when love begins with tortured bedsheets and 48 hour nights and being consumed by the other, it will not last; not mostly.

I choose to marry again for companionship and to have life magnified by the curiosity, beauty, and tenderness of another. As is another characteristic of love through our lives, "this one appears to be the right one;" "The others were just my journey to meet her." "I have matured in love." "If it does not work with her I will never again marry."

I cannot see past this filter. She really does seem to be the most lovely human I have ever met and I am blessed beyond my due measure to have found her.

I started this thread expecting to get the variations that are here, some strongly defend remarrying others balk at it, by getting involved with a person from another culture the love and dating game we knew in the west pretty much gets thrown out the window.

I kinda am addicted to reading threads in this part of TV because it often amuses the hell out of me really amazes me how some guys can be so.....well dumb, but then again were only getting one side of the story.

We are all in a different part of evolution within, I've noticed how I've changed my thinking along the journey in all areas.

In essence i respect what ever route people want to take its there business what gets me is the way some guys just go hook line and sinker and succumb to the wishes of future wife and family that there caught up in that "bubble of love" or the neediness of a relationship and don't use there big head to think through, sure for some its cool other get issues bit of hit and miss but hey if you haven't taken notice of yourself and done some work on yourself that second or third marriage won't work either.....and then there is "she" where she at? its one thing for you to have worked on yourself but where does your partner sit in her emotional maturity?

I believe you attract where your at, i also believe in the law of attraction and that means having a criteria for what ever you want and that includes a partner, some common sense goes a long way too.

The point i guess i was trying to make is.....the modern Thai woman you could say is professionally employed educated and on a good income, in most cases she doesn't need you for your money and theres more of a chance she's in it because she cares for you, like in the west because there finically independent marriage may not be so important "the sercurity" of money doesn't come into it, i will leave you with your thoughts about village girls and what might be there motives, hey don't get me wrong many successful pairings either way and just as many problems but i know which way i rather go.

In essence i respect what ever route people want to take its there business what gets me is the way some guys just go hook line and sinker and succumb to the wishes of future wife and family that there caught up in that "bubble of love" or the neediness of a relationship and don't use there big head to think through, sure for some its cool other get issues bit of hit and miss but hey if you haven't taken notice of yourself and done some work on yourself that second or third marriage won't work either.....and then there is "she" where she at? its one thing for you to have worked on yourself but where does your partner sit in her emotional maturity?

Marriage has never been about love, it was always about business.

Your views come from a very narrow cultural background (both in time and in geography), the majority of the world make business deals between families to enhance their future.

Your views come from a very narrow cultural background (both in time and in geography), the majority of the world make business deals between families to enhance their future.

Narrow? all about business? gee i thought this was 2015.....let me check the calendar....yep 2015 not 1515.

Narrow? all about business? gee i thought this was 2015.....let me check the calendar....yep 2015 not 1515.

Western society is the minority of the world.

Most people are Asian, Indian or African and for them marriage has always been business.

Even with western society before 1900, marriage was business.

Marriage for love is mainly a Hollywood concept, and as most of us have already found out a silly Hollywood concept.

I don't even believe many modern western women believe in marriage for love (though they will claim they do), for them it's still business.

It's all about taking money from gullible guys.

I think a lot of guys mistake physical attraction and/or a desire to take care of someone for love. I think a lot of guys mistake the desire to be the leader/provider for love. Very few are attracted to a woman who is smarter, more educated, and independent than they are. I believe that's one of the attractions of Thai women, especially uneducated village women.

If I were to warn someone it would revolve around the above.

There are many things in this thread that I would like to highlight and agree with.

I will focus only on 2.

Goldbuggy. I agree with your whole post at 53.

I never said I bent over to accommodate my Thai Partner. If you want the truth I feel it is the other way around. It was my Thai Partner who lived with me for about 5 years before marriage and never applying pressure on me to do so. Just trusting in me that we would stay together. To me that is commitment.

Could not agree more.

Arjunadawn

She really does seem to be the most lovely human I have ever met and I am blessed beyond my due measure to have found her.

Sums up my feelings exactly.

For all the other happy posters that I did not mention.

'' Lang may yer lum reek ''

Everything here regarding personal relationships is a business arrangement. If you think otherwise you are a fool. Once you realise and accept this its fine, just arrange things to your satisfaction. If marriage is part of the arrangement then fine, but if you have kids then realise they are going to swing the balance over to your wife in a big way.

What do you get out of marriage here? Lock yourself into one woman and her family that makes it a nightmare to get out of if and when it goes sour? Think your living in paradise? Its only a paradise because its cheap. Admit it. Your happy you have a maid, nanny and sex partner all rolled into one? You can have a live in maid for, less than 10,000 a month. What does your wife milk you for a month?

Everything here regarding personal relationships is a business arrangement. If you think otherwise you are a fool. Once you realise and accept this its fine, just arrange things to your satisfaction. If marriage is part of the arrangement then fine, but if you have kids then realise they are going to swing the balance over to your wife in a big way.

What do you get out of marriage here? Lock yourself into one woman and her family that makes it a nightmare to get out of if and when it goes sour? Think your living in paradise? Its only a paradise because its cheap. Admit it. Your happy you have a maid, nanny and sex partner all rolled into one? You can have a live in maid for, less than 10,000 a month. What does your wife milk you for a month?

Not a Satang.

You should not judge by your own standards.

Great balls of fire clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Not a Satang.

Thats great. Does she pay for everything else as well? Seems you have arranged a good business arrangement then.

Sums it up exactly. Why else would any woman want an old man as a partner...Unless money.

Could you imagine rolls reversed. You being a 20 year old stud marrying a 60 year old wrinkly woman with sagggy ti**...Enough said !!!!!

I think your post is uncalled for..We don't want to know about your experience........rolleyes.gif

You and i both know many guys are in exactly the situation i described. Im not saying all are unhappy relationships, some guys are more than happy with their arrangement but its an arrangement none the less. Its the same in western societies but here the men can be lazier and pay the small amount extra to have their chores taken care of. As long as yoy keep your associate happy its fine. Thai women are happiest with money in their pockets.

Sums it up exactly. Why else would any woman want an old man as a partner...Unless money.

Could you imagine rolls reversed. You being a 20 year old stud marrying a 60 year old wrinkly woman with sagggy ti**...Enough said !!!!!

My UK mum was married to a guy 20 years younger, had a good life until he died.....Do you have a problem with that..?

If she was 40 and he was 20 when they met = no problem

If she was 60 and he was 40 when they met = a bit odd

So in answer to 'do you have a problem?'

It depends?

Not a Satang.

Thats great. Does she pay for everything else as well? Seems you have arranged a good business arrangement then.

Whilst I post inanely on TV, my future wife is out making money.

I do not need her money and she does not need mine.

There is no business arrangement.

You should try it sometime. It might ease your bitterness.

To get back to the original question ;

I Marriend again because:

I have a lovely wife ( and a lovely family ) and marrying is costing me 5 x less money than it would cost me back 'home'. Because it delivers the family a lot of respect and win of face. Because the wedding party was a blast again, great fun with great people.

Because I live here and love Thai curture and an interesting wedding, a good reason to invite friends. And I like to see my loving wife happy.

Because after years of living together, I liked to help the family with some things, and a sin sod is the best way to do it.

And I love my marriage visum, most of all... no more 90 day runs to Ranong, and no more yearly visum trip ( and hassles paperwork and insecurity if I get the one year visum every year ).

You mention a love of a lot of things...but not once do you mention your love for your wife......interesting.

That and also how it costs five times less money than back home. True love indeed.

Not a Satang.

K

Im not bitter, just pointing out what is the reality. You're one person who is happy with his arrangement but not even married yet! Hows it going to be in 5 years? Is your future wife going to be happy to keep working once you are married? Does she have kids? Who does the housework? Had any family calamities yet? They are very good at looking after you before marriage becaus ethey beleive things must change once you have entered into a contract (marriage). Its always good at the beginning. Are you going to be happy in 5 years time doing what you do now? You might be living a dream with her now but it can easily become a nightmare. Just look at the daily threads with guys pouring their hearts out on here. Report back in 5 years.

My views on successful marriages are ones that start young as you then grow together and make your lives very strongly joined together by making a home and starting a family. That just doesnt happen here. The majority of men find wives her are over 40 or 50. Then its a business arrangement you look after me and ill look after you. Marriage here is for people too lazy to look after themselves or scared to be alone.

My UK mum was married to a guy 20 years younger, had a good life until he died.....Do you have a problem with that..?

If she was 40 and he was 20 when they met = no problem

If she was 60 and he was 40 when they met = a bit odd

So in answer to 'do you have a problem?'

It depends?

You are the one with the problem, not Transam or his Mum or Dad.

Im not bitter, just pointing out what is the reality. You're one person who is happy with his arrangement but not even married yet! Hows it going to be in 5 years? Is your future wife going to be happy to keep working once you are married? Does she have kids? Who does the housework? Had any family calamities yet? They are very good at looking after you before marriage becaus ethey beleive things must change once you have entered into a contract (marriage). Its always good at the beginning. Are you going to be happy in 5 years time doing what you do now? You might be living a dream with her now but it can easily become a nightmare. Just look at the daily threads with guys pouring their hearts out on here. Report back in 5 years.

My views on successful marriages are ones that start young as you then grow together and make your lives very strongly joined together by making a home and starting a family. That just doesnt happen here. The majority of men find wives her are over 40 or 50. Then its a business arrangement you look after me and ill look after you. Marriage here is for people too lazy to look after themselves or scared to be alone.

No, you are pointing out YOUR reality. If anyone truly believed, the negativity posted on the threads on here, we would all have left or committed suicide.

I have been living the dream since I got divorced over 15 years ago. One of the reasons that I have the money to do what I do now.

Yes, growing together makes you stronger. We have been growing stronger for the past 4 years and putting foundations in place for the 2 years previous to that.

We will continue on the path that we are on, it works for us.

Think this might help you.

post-211553-0-76738100-1434440680_thumb.

Why not? The first time around (to a Thai) lasted 28 years and did not end in divorce. I am single again now and while not rushing into anything, can't honestly see myself remaining so in the long run. When a whipper snapper I played the single guy, but it just does not do anything for me now. To be honest, I can no longer understand how people can have one night stands (paid or otherwise), sleeping with people they do not even know. Bleedin' hell, I'm turnin' into a fuddy-duddy at 52.

Archived