Thaksin Believes Thai Economy Will Grow Following The Opening Of Suvarnabhumi Airport

Jai Dee

PM Thaksin believes Thai economy will grow following the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is confident that the opening of Suvarnabhumi airport will help Thailand's economy to grow as the new airport will be able to support flights from all countries.

The premier disclosed that the airport is now prepared for its opening for commercial purposes on the 28th of September. He said domestic flights will be offered on 15th of September for the staff to get familiar with the airport and reduce chaos on its opening day.

Dr Thaksin said the new airport is deemed a pride for Thailand and its people. He believes Thai economy will be supported once the airport is put into services. He said the flight schedules have been adjusted for foreign airlines as they have more capacity at Suvarnabhumi airport.

However, he admitted that there would be some errors in the services provided at the earlier stage but situation should not be too worrying.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 September 2006

Wouldn't it be ironic if some international news reporter, trying to cover the opening of the new airport, was denied entry into Thailand because they had too many stamps in the past 180 days? The report might go something like this...

"Thailand's brand new airport opened today amidst proclamations by the Prime Minister that Thailand's economy would grow due to the increased flights and tourists. However we were not able to attend the opening due to Thailand's new visa restrictions that prohibit us from entering too frequently. This is Suzy Wong, reporting from the tourist friendly airport in Singapore."

Or another one...

"Standing out here in front of Thailand's new airport, it's a busy day, already officials are expecting the airport to be operating at 200% of capacity on opening day. Officials seem puzzled at the sudden increase in passengers...

Sir, I see you're heading out of Thailand using the new airport, can you tell us what you think?

"I've been living here for 20 years, invested countless millions of Baht in the country, but now am being kicked out due to the Thai goverment deciding they don't want me anymore. I couldn't care less about this <deleted> new airport because this will be the last I ever see of Thailand."

[

However, he admitted that there would be some errors in the services provided at the earlier stage but situation should not be too worrying.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 September 2006

Like flight controller instructing two airplanes taking off and landing at the same time on the same runway :o

PM Thaksin believes Thai economy will grow following the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is confident that the opening of Suvarnabhumi airport will help Thailand's economy to grow

This may benefit especially those who own land , in the vicinity of the new airport, now who would those happen to be ?

as the new airport will be able to support flights from all countries.

The old airport was somehow not able to handle flights from 'all countries' ?

The premier disclosed that the airport is now prepared for its opening for commercial purposes on the 28th of September. He said domestic flights will be offered on 15th of September for the staff to get familiar with the airport and reduce chaos on its opening day.

Are there no other ways to familiarise staff, with their new work-place, except going live ? Is any degree of 'chaos' acceptable to the passengers affected ?

Dr Thaksin said the new airport is deemed a pride for Thailand and its people.

Agreed absolutely.

He believes Thai economy will be supported once the airport is put into services. He said the flight schedules have been adjusted for foreign airlines as they have more capacity at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Is there some authority which now tells the airlines, what their flight-schedules will be, in future ? Rather than them making their own plans, subject to runway-slots, and gate-availability, based on demand from their customers.

Except perhaps for the hundred-thousand passengers-per-day who might be affected, I would have thought they would be concerned, by baggage-lost or missed-connections.

PM is confident of Suvarnabhumi's potential

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra believes once Suvarnabhumi Airport is fully opened, Thailand’s economy will be significantly boosted because the airport can support many more flights from around the world.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin commented on the readiness of Suvarnabhumi Airport during the “Sanam Pao Station” TV show, saying that the airport will be opened for commercial purposes on September 28th. He said the airport will begin to provide domestic flight services today so that the officers and employees in the airport would familiarize themselves with the venue, and work confusion would be reduced on the official opening day.

He said Suvarnabhumi is the pride of the Thai people, and he believes that it will help improve the national economy in the future as more international flights will be able to land on Suvarnabhumi. Nevertheless, he said there may be some inefficiencies during the initial opening of the airport, but the problems should not be worrying.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 September 2006

I saw Der Fuhrer last night being interviewed on CNN by Richard Quest.

He told CNN that on 28th September all International flights will be to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport, Don Muang would be effectively closed. Richard Questasked how confident he was and he replied "Definately". Richard Quest then asked if he would be willing to place a bet on the fact to which he also replied "Definately".

Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought Gambling was illegal in Thailand !