Frustrated experience in renovating my condo

snoopy21

Living at Pattaya for almost three years, not a single person can be relied on doing renovation, fixing any electric, or plumbing problem of my condo. What I have encountered is after asking someone to fix any problem of my condo, I have to ask another person to refix it again or refix it by myself again. Not talking about the Thai people, I asked a foreigner to do renovation on my condo, of course, I paid much more when comparing asking a Thai to do the same work, the result was also not satisfactory. The ceiling light fell down after one month as he just fixed only one drew instead of three. My window has water leakage during the rainy season. The wall paint inside the balcony chipped off after seven months. Hence, I turned to search help from Thai people, but it was not much better except they charged not so high as the foreigner. I asked them to change my Aircon water leaking pipe. After 2 days, water pouring from my Aircon. I asked them to fix the water stoppage of my bathroom, after fews day I had received a complaint that my bathroom had serious water leakage to the beneath floor which caused the fasle ceiling of the bathroom of beneath floor collapsed. But what I hate most is their irresponsibility. They never finished the work on time. They can disappear for few days because they got drunk. Finally, I met a Thai-Chinese guy, he is very responsible and reliable, not to say his skill in fixing all the electricity, water plumbing problems, he charged me in a reasonable price too. If you need help from him, here we go his number <deleted>. By the way, his name is Mr. Kong.

Edited by Rimmer
phone number removed as per forum rules, please use PM function thank you

OP, no surprises at all with your story of total incompetence.

I moved into a brand new house 3 years ago. The electrics were installed by a brainless moron. Example. When I turn on a bathroom light, television cuts out for 5 seconds. All internal wall wiring is cross-wired, therefore on every wall double-socket, I must have extension plug sockets. The main power box has fuses that cannot cope with general usage. Can go on and on with the problems.

People reading your post will smile, knowing that it's not just them that have been singled out for incompetence.

Incompetence is par for the course here. Skin colour makes no difference.

Let's face it: anyone even half-way competent would probably be doing a much better job somewhere else where they are appreciated and paid accordingly. I certainly would, if I was still working.

I've never experienced any of those problems (thankfully), just been lucky I suppose.

Have always used recommended people and so far after 12 years of owning condo's I'm pleased with the work done and normally the price.

<deleted>

I was warned to remove everything beforehand but they did it for me.

Edited by Rimmer
Libelous comment removed

just had a condo totally gutted & completely renovated and all very good workers EXCEPT the tiler. My mistake alone this time. We have used the same man and his subcontractors for years and no I will not supply his contact number as he is already understandably busy and always is. Look around is my advice as good workers are certainly here

OP here is my advice .

Start drinking, heavy drinking.

Because when you think you found someone good, I am sure they will find a way to screw it up.

Done 2 major renovations to hotel. Both times I was 7-11 best customer buying whisky.

Sorry to be a smartass, but to make you feel better, you not the only one. ;)

There is such huge demand by the condo construction industry for any trained tradesmen with genuine skill that all that is left for casual work are unskilled "handyman" types with no formal training, just like in the rural villages where most of them come from..

Same thing would always happen back home whenever there was a building boom. There was so much money to be made doing commercial work that it became almost impossible to get a plumber or electrician to do a house call.

Pretty much the same anywhere in the world. Good and bad tradespeople especially roofers and plumbers. Recommendations go a long way and tend to be the best option.

No, it's not the same. If I get an electrician in Australia, he's licenced and has completed a trade, same with a plumber etc. In Thailand anyone can call themselves an electrician, tiler, plumber etc.

As for the foreigner attempting to fix a ceiling light and using one screw, the other two probably fell out. There is hardly anything to drill into,the cement/concrete mix will be the thinnest and poorest that could be got away with,just decays rapidly and powders away

Not affected by extreme wet and dampness here,so will last a bit ;longer,but sea air will be working away on the reinforcing rods for sure,crumbling away ,5 years ,perhaps a little more on the new builds will see the bulldozers at work

Welcome to paradise. There are some good contractors around, but even those should be supervised. Took me many years to build up a good portfolio of contractors for various jobs. Happy to help out if you PM me. Regards. M.

Edited by moonseeker

electric problems,

what is the worst about this,

when thai electricians working for you, for a fair price,

but their main profit is, by changing your thick electric cabeles to thin cables, just for the copper profit.

The effect, - the multipoint heater with 9 kwh, that requires a 10mm2 copper cable connection,

is now working with 2,5 mm2 copper cables, the cable fire is programmed.

Stibel Eltron, the producer of multipoint heater in Ayuttaya is saying,

they sell so many multipoint heater with 9kwh, because every bathtube owner needs a type, more than 7,5 kwh,

othewise you wait 1 hour, till you got a bath with hot water.

But many thai electricians don`t understand, why a multipoint heater needs a 10mm2 copper cable,

and so, many homes are being transformed into firetraps.

Based on this experience in Thailand, Stibel Eltron started to deliver boilers to Homepro and all the other dealer,

cause thai electricians not ready for installing 10mm2 cables, or - to keep them in their clients home (!)-.

Edited by DisainaM

Having spent millions having my condo renovated- must admit the preparation, tiling, decoration etc was excellent

However what I did learn is you must micromanage- the guys were very good on general work- but did not really understand to install things such as very expensive hobs, dishwashers etc. mistakes were made.

So you always need to ask questions- the paint on the balcony should not peel - outdoor paints here are pretty tough- so asking what type of paint are you using would have helped- ie micromanage- check everything.

Many countries have an online resourse where tradesmen are rated and reviewed for their work and if they would be recommended to others. It would be great to have the whole community critique the quality of work so those needing repairs or renovation would have a resource of who to hire.

Many countries have an online resourse where tradesmen are rated and reviewed for their work and if they would be recommended to others. It would be great to have the whole community critique the quality of work so those needing repairs or renovation would have a resource of who to hire.

Thailand's draconian defamation laws make this difficult, as very critical comments may not be acceptable. So there would probably only be good comments or vague comments or no comments, and some reading between the lines would be necessary to weed out the incompetent.

In my 11 years here I have found only one, ( 1), reliable install/repair/renovate company and they are also the only firm that offers an actual guarantee ! They will return if job not satisfactory and all work is supervised by an Irish owner, who, even though he is Irish, understands some English. The company, who I highly recommend is Irish Air but they do, literally, all types of handyman type work. Tell Sean, ( Jim ), I recommended him and , maybe, but unlikely, he will allow a discount on my next call.

I think Thailand should be considered as a great place to develop your own stills in home maintenance and repair, we should all be on ED-Visas.

Even if you don't do the job yourself you need to learn a little about it so as you know when they are cutting corners and BS you about what is happening.

A lot of tradesmen are only capable of putting lipstick on a pig.

Pretty much the same anywhere in the world. Good and bad tradespeople especially roofers and plumbers. Recommendations go a long way and tend to be the best option.

No, it's not the same. If I get an electrician in Australia, he's licenced and has completed a trade, same with a plumber etc. In Thailand anyone can call themselves an electrician, tiler, plumber etc.

Aint that the truth, not only that but in my village of maybe 20 houses 9 of them are "Changs" I know them all and all their work is CRAP, sloppy ,lazy, dirty etc

As stated, keep looking until you find a good one. a lot of dross out there.

I take on many jobs myself as it is an exercise in frustration with many local tradesmen.

I gave up in the end and do everything myself, block laying ,roofing, tiling, plumbing and to be honest especially the plumbing is a piece of cake compared to soldering copper in the UK

In one house I know he used pushfit fittings and they even managed to screw that up.

It's horror story once again. I too have had very similar experiences with condo renovations. The skill is lacking. Their understanding is lacking. Their eyes just don't see all the mistakes made. It is fustrating and quite sad. It's never about doing the job correct the first time. But it is about coming back again if they come back at all. It's important to hold back at least 20% till you're completely satisfied with the job. I have so many horror stories but I'll save you all the time by not posting because regurgitating makes me ill just thinking how bad it can really get.

Edited by ChiangraiTony

I think Thailand should be considered as a great place to develop your own stills in home maintenance and repair, we should all be on ED-Visas.

Even if you don't do the job yourself you need to learn a little about it so as you know when they are cutting corners and BS you about what is happening.

A lot of tradesmen are only capable of putting lipstick on a pig.

Don't be silly- the whole point of working flat out in the West is that you can afford to have staff in Thailand to do things for you.

As I said previously - just keep a eye on what the workmen are doing . My days of painting, woodwork, plumbing are long gone.

I agree 100% with peterb17 (#25) - all inside condo walls undercoated and then top-coated; new bathroom door lacquered,hung & accessories fixed; front door removed & reshaped; balcony painted and not a drop/drip on the floors and all for just over US$100 or under £80. Refer my post #5.

I agree 100% with peterb17 (#25) - all inside condo walls undercoated and then top-coated; new bathroom door lacquered,hung & accessories fixed; front door removed & reshaped; balcony painted and not a drop/drip on the floors and all for just over US$100 or under £80. Refer my post #5.

Undercoat on a wall what is that ? different type of paint ?

or do you mean two coats, same same paint but different ?

Just asking

Edited by onemorechang

Incompetence is par for the course here. Skin colour makes no difference.

Let's face it: anyone even half-way competent would probably be doing a much better job somewhere else where they are appreciated and paid accordingly. I certainly would, if I was still working.

I am a tradesman (Electrical) from Australia & I do all my own work apart from demo & bricklaying. I have had Thai "Builders" if you can call them that, do some works previously & had to fix it myself. We had staff turn up drunk & the basic things like take care of other peoples property do not exist in this culture. But the Government says we can't work in the building industry. That's why so many buildings fall down or after a few years they crack & deteriorate. I would love to have a handyman business here, I would make a fortune.

As I was reading this and thinking "Don't get me started ...", I took a trip down memory lane. Same woes as everyone else. Pattaya and Nakhon Sawan.

Just another one of those reminders that if I wanted things to be like back home, we could've & should've stayed in the USA.

All that aside, is there anyplace on this forum where people post recommended contractors and services?

For example, we have a pool guy who we've used for years - We trust him implicitly with our house keys.

We also know an honest (I swear, this is true) Bangkok Taxi driver.

Would never exchange or post personal information without express permission ... is it oK to do so here?

• 3 months later...

Apart from the actual cost of a condo, what other expenses are there if I didnt buy via an agent and made the deal directly with the seller?

I am also interested to know the differences between Thai ownership, foreign ownership and 50/50 ownesrship. I realise that Thai ownership means the property is currently owned by a Thai, FO owned by someone who is not Thai and 50/50 would be both?

What I am interested to know is how each one determines how easy/difficult it becomes to buy the condo :D