Frustrated experience in renovating my condo

snoopy21

My experience was that it took me 5.5 years to remodel a 100 sq meter condo ... why ... because I refused to allow any work to be done without me being there. Further, I would sit on a stool all day long from 9-5 and watch everything that was being done and if not done correctly I would tell them to remove it and do it again. Granted it caused some tension, however when my place was done it turned out beautifully (my style maybe not yours) and to the high standard that I demanded and I have not had any issues with the work in 2 years since it's been done.

post-70123-0-24137600-1444322030_thumb.j

post-70123-0-89125200-1444322052_thumb.j

post-70123-0-94809100-1444322074_thumb.j

post-70123-0-82739300-1444322112_thumb.j

post-70123-0-19443100-1444322131_thumb.j

My experience was that it took me 5.5 years to remodel a 100 sq meter condo ... why ... because I refused to allow any work to be done without me being there. Further, I would sit on a stool all day long from 9-5 and watch everything that was being done and if not done correctly I would tell them to remove it and do it again. Granted it caused some tension, however when my place was done it turned out beautifully (my style maybe not yours) and to the high standard that I demanded and I have not had any issues with the work in 2 years since it's been done.

I've never actually done any major renovation here but whenever any tradesman or technician comes to my room I watch them closely and check everything as you do. I think it's very wise.

I've never actually done any major renovation here but whenever any tradesman or technician comes to my room I watch them closely and check everything as you do. I think it's very wise.

My God 5.5 years, yes the renovation looks professional, but how about your fellow co-owners !

Our condo has a maximum time of 90 working days for the completion of works, so working days excludes weekends, and public holidays, work has to be carried out between 8-30 am and 5 pm. We charge a 30K retention charge to cover any damage to public areas etc.

Owners are charged 250 Baht per day, for the use of lifts, disturbance, etc. If the renovation exceeds the 90 day period, the contract is cancelled, and the deposit less the accrued charges are forfeited. a new contract has to be signed with a new 30K payment, the daily charge then goes up to 500 Baht. this discourages most people from running over. If there are exceptional circumstances, these would be considered by the Juristic person and committee on a case by case basis. This was set up by the committee and approved at an AGM several years ago, to encourage owners to renovate, but to do so in a caring and responsible way towards fellow co-owners.

I wonder how many owners have suffered renovation noise, it can make your space unlivable especially if the renovation in close proximity. how ever anyone could endure this for 5.5 years is amazing.

So whilst talking about the original topic of quality, one must also consider time.

Before anyone buys into a condo block here, I would certainly look at the condo " Renovation Rules".

Our condo has a maximum time of 90 working days for the completion of works, so working days excludes weekends, and public holidays, work has to be carried out between 8-30 am and 5 pm. We charge a 30K retention charge to cover any damage to public areas etc.

Owners are charged 250 Baht per day, for the use of lifts, disturbance, etc. If the renovation exceeds the 90 day period, the contract is cancelled, and the deposit less the accrued charges are forfeited. a new contract has to be signed with a new 30K payment, the daily charge then goes up to 500 Baht. this discourages most people from running over. If there are exceptional circumstances, these would be considered by the Juristic person and committee on a case by case basis. This was set up by the committee and approved at an AGM several years ago, to encourage owners to renovate, but to do so in a caring and responsible way towards fellow co-owners.

Our rules are similar but much less strict than yours, though I would dearly like to make ours stricter.

My God 5.5 years, yes the renovation looks professional, but how about your fellow co-owners !

I wonder how many owners have suffered renovation noise, it can make your space unlivable especially if the renovation in close proximity. how ever anyone could endure this for 5.5 years is amazing.

So whilst talking about the original topic of quality, one must also consider time.

Before anyone buys into a condo block here, I would certainly look at the condo " Renovation Rules".

You are correct we have similar rules with a few changes that are not that important. The major difference is I am the only person on my floor (4 units max per floor) and I got the permission of the 1 person in writing that I would affect directly by noise. Further I made an agreement with the building to not carry the renovation over the timeframes in actual time worked on the project. So yes it was over 5.5 years but was 30 days here and 30 days there. After it was done, the building was happy, my neighbor has become a great friend that I play tennis with every morning when I am in country, and I am happy.

Lotustrbo,

Congratulations on not upsetting anyone during the 5.5 years of your renovation, but in my experience with Thai condo building codes, the sound insulation values either impact or transmitted, are just about zero, so anyone within 3 floors, either upper or lower, would suffer the full effect of any major noise, such as jack hammers, impact drills etc.

These will be my last comments on the subject, my main objective here was just to point out the misery that can be caused to co-owners by unregulated renovation rules.

Edited by Rimmer
fonts