Van Morrison gets knighthood in Queen's birthday honours

Lite Beer

Van Morrison gets knighthood in queen's birthday honours
SYLVIA HUI, Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — Acclaimed singer and songwriter Van Morrison is joining a select group of music giants with a knighthood to their name.

The Belfast-born Morrison was honoured Friday by Queen Elizabeth II for his services to music and tourism in Northern Ireland, the inspiration for many of his classics. Many of his wistful, mystical songs are set on the streets of Belfast.

The musician, known for hits such as "Brown-Eyed Girl" and his unique take on American roots music, will join Sir Elton (John), Sir Paul (McCartney), Sir Mick (Jagger) and several others in the British pantheon.

Morrison is among more than 1,000 people recognized by the queen in her annual Birthday Honors list for their achievements and services to the community.

Recipients in entertainment include Academy Award best actor winner Eddie Redmayne, who was named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, or OBE. Redmayne has enjoyed a stellar year with a slew of awards for his portrayal of physicist Stephen Hawking in "The Theory of Everything."

"Sherlock" actor Benedict Cumberbatch and "Twelve Years A Slave" actor Chiwetel Ejiofor were both named Commander of the Order of the British Empire, or CBE.

Kevin Spacey, who is finishing a 10-year run as artistic director at London's Old Vic theater, was awarded an honorary knighthood for his services to culture and British theater.

Spacey said he was "honored and humbled" by the monarch's recognition and thanked Britons for supporting his work. "I feel like an adopted son," he said.

Others honoured included people from a wide range of professions, from sports players to historians, women's rights campaigners and health workers. They include Will Pooley, the first British person to contract the Ebola virus, who was honored for his services in tackling the outbreak in Africa.

Almost three-quarters of the list of 1,163 recipients is made up of those away from the public eye who are honoured for their work in local communities.

Knights are addressed as "sir" or "dame." Recipients of the other honors have no title, but can put the letters after their names. The ranks for the Orders of the British Empire are Commander, Officer and Member, in descending order.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-13

I have long been a Van Morrison fan.I spent many a night listening to Hard Nose The Highway after a big night our on the town.. He is a great musician. He well deserves the knighthood.

He might be deserving because of his music, but his personality doesn't do him any favours. A more grumpy, bad tempered bugger would be hard to find. Don't know where he found the lyrics to his songs, hard to believe they came from him.

He might be deserving because of his music, but his personality doesn't do him any favours. A more grumpy, bad tempered bugger would be hard to find. Don't know where he found the lyrics to his songs, hard to believe they came from him.

Rumour has it he spends a lot of time in Pattaya along side the other grumpy bad tempered buggers laugh.png

Chiwetel Ejiofor ....he's cool and a good actor. Seen him in a few very diverse roles, eg Kinky Boots and Red Belt (???not sure of the last title...he was a martial arts instructor). Glad he got something.

I like Van's music very much. Who can't sing along to Brown Eyed Girl?

I have long been a Van Morrison fan.I spent many a night listening to Hard Nose The Highway after a big night our on the town.. He is a great musician. He well deserves the knighthood.

I was once conned into going to watch him in concert in the Isle Of Man. Never again!

He never spoke to the audience during the whole concert, from walking on stage to walking off it. Not even a "hello" or "goodbye". It was as if he didn't want to be there.

I believe that's normal for him, but it certainly didn't endear him to me and most of the audience, who expected him to at least acknowledge their attendance.

On the night, some of his music was good, but most of it was very ordinary.

Not sure what he's done to deserve this. It couldn't have been for his music or his personality, but they seem to give them away like confetti these days, which debases it for those who really deserve it.

It should have been MORRISSEY (from the Smiths), my hero.

But that will never happen, because he's a monarchical abolitionist and critizises the (British) royals for fox hunting , among other things. He is also a stark vegetarian , from the Smiths period " meat is murder" . A lot of his views are like mine.

It should have been MORRISSEY (from the Smiths), my hero.

But that will never happen, because he's a monarchical abolitionist and critizises the (British) royals for fox hunting , among other things. He is also a stark vegetarian , from the Smiths period " meat is murder" . A lot of his views are like mine.

you mean his is a PC/ liberal/tree hugger/ bloody do gooder you mean ?....tower of London maybe a more appropriate honour from HM, as it people like him which have caused the UK to turn into a population of whinging little girls

He is different that is for sure ,but he is an artist that is expected. I cannot remember the record or song but when he is finished he he says" thank you very much you have made a sad man very old". That sums him up fairly good. He is reclusive,closed,and a poor communicator. His music speaks for him and speaks well..

Brilliant idea!

Van Morrison contributed so much to England and mankind.

Eh? He's a singer, not someone who invented a cure for cancer.

If you're going to hand out a knighthood to somebody who sings songs, you might as well give one to somebody who rides a bicycle very quickly.

Er, now that I come to think of it .....

The whole "Honors System" is an antiquated leftover from the class society of the past, there are a few deserving people who are rewarded for their selfless and dedicated works over the years, but the vast majority of recipients are connected or politically involved.

If you made a substantial financial contribution to the Conservative Party then you would be in with a shout for an honor, that's how shallow and irrelevant this whole charade has become. Depending on the size of you're wallet and you're political leaning you have a good chance of getting some worthless letters after you're name!

A visit to any one of the hundreds of children's wards in the UK will provide you with thousands of names to put forward for recognition, between the cleaners, nurses, doctors and clerical staff there are heaps of people who are "worth a gong" Although I'm pretty sure most of them would settle for a decent wage rise or shorter working hours, I'm sure that would be far more welcome...

"Sherlock" actor Benedict Cumberbatch named Commander of the Order of the British Empire, or CBE.

Seriously??

He's an average Sherlock at best.

I can't stand him. Any film with him in it, I don't bother with. It's the same with Robert Downey Jr, Jeff Goldblum, John Malkovich and a few others. I'm beginning to think some actors pay the casting directors to cast them. Can't think of any other reason they would be picked.

Rumour has it he spends a lot of time in Pattaya along side the other grumpy bad tempered buggers laugh.png

He refuses to make the tea!