Thai Ready For First Flight From Suvarnabhumi

george

Hear, hear - there was chaos in Hong Kong when the new airport opened - and no doubt in every major city in the world which has gone this upheaval.

G

You know,

I wish you guys would give it a rest. OPening a new International airport is not an easy thing. The Thai government is trying to do a good job of it. Just give them a chance and stop your constant complaining.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's nice to see the positive comments from the likes of jomtiened. The opening of a new airport as has been said above is a major logistical exercise which will obviously have teething problems. From everyone I have spoken to who have been involved in the airport a large part of the current finishing delays have come from the international carriers not getting there S*** together with regard to lounges etc. Sure there will be problems and I am personally happy that I will not need to go through the new airport on the first day but will use it after a week. It just seems sensible for the first few months to leave for the airport a bit earlier to allow for the potential delays as they are working very hard to get the airport up and running. Having worked for 3 years on the subway I was sceptical when that opened but one of the amazing things about Thailand is how they actually manage to get things working even when with our western logic we think it will be impossible. Rather than complain and whinge why not just wait and see what happens...I firmly believe that the new airport will open with a lot fewer problems than most people on this forum seem to anticipate because the Thais when they set their mind to it are very good at making things happen.

The code change makes sense whilst Don Muang is still operational and it seems quite logical that from the 28th when all flights will be through the new airport (can't get the spelling right yet) the code will change from NBK to BKK.

It seems strange that people who obviously like being in/living in Thailand seek at all times to denegrate the Thai's and what happens in this wonderful country. Maybe you should think about the reasons you are here and appreciate that whilst not everything runs as it does in the west or how we think it should that this is just maybe the reason that brought you here in the first place.

My tickets clearly state TU26SEP BKKPER etc. FR27OCT PERBKK. I was told be the main Thai Airways office in Udon that the departure would definitley be from Don Muang and arrival would be Suvarnabhumi. This code thing must be a late change or I remain one of the confused.

As I understand it the code for the new airport is NBK at the moment, and Don Muang remains as BKK.

After the official opening date, Suvarnabhumi becomes BKK and Don Muang becomes ?DMK? (read that somewhere).

Therefore your ticket is correct, you leave BKK before 28th Sept. and you arrive at BKK after 28th Sept, just at a different place :o

G

You know,

I wish you guys would give it a rest. OPening a new International airport is not an easy thing. The Thai government is trying to do a good job of it. Just give them a chance and stop your constant complaining.

Trying to do a good job???? :D :D :D

C'mon.......they did say trying ! :o

You know,

Well, one could argue that we should really be saying let’s not give “Thaksin” too hard a time. He set the opening date, as many speculate, to occur in advance of election and to meet his statements of a year ago that it would open within a year of him landing there last September.

Yes, many civil engineering success in Thailand, and the new airport will add to that list. The issue is more the timing, and is the airport reasonably ready for the transmission now. It’s not just a few TV folks who have expressed concern, but airline officials, the International Air Transport Association, etc. that things might be moving a bit too quickly. Evan the people on the safety side for the Department of Civil Aviation said they were taken aback when the starting date was announced, and had to rush their internal certification process.

So, I think it’s a legitimate question to ask. It’s not about giving Thais a hard time. It’s not as if people don’t think they can do it, but are some Thai people pushing things a little too quickly for political reasons, thus creating more problems than there otherwise might be. Let’s hope not.

I certainly wish all the employees and passengers working and flying those first few days the best of luck for smooth operations at Suvarnabhumi.

Happy Flying

yesterday I went to the new airport as a trial passeger. our group was the last one to conduct these tests. all I can say is that the airport is far from done. most dutty free shops are still under construction and the airport is kind of dirty from all the dust being kicked up from.

as a legaly blind person I have lots of isues with thier signage.

I think I already found a stupid sign mistake. right after you check-in you either have to go to the domestic departure entrence or international departer entrence. but as you walk along trying to find where the entrence is there is a big white sign with black fonts that give you the direction to the domestic gates, toilets and other places, BUT it doesnt show where the international gates are. I then walked behind the sign and the arrow sign to the international gates was righ on top. I then checked another sign post and it just had the direction to the domestic gates on both sides. sure the entrence to the internation gates was near by. but some of us clueless passengers get around airports by reading signs and arrows.

OH ya, as we were leaving the building and walked into the rotating door the door stoped rotating and we were stuck there for a few seconds. YEp, sure the airport is ready.

This is all very <deleted> well isn't it.

I mean you book a flight to the big mango and you wouldn't have f^&%$#g clue where yor gonna land.

Nice if you want people to meet you.

They should do it on one day but I guess this is a bit too much to expect from the Thai techno mentality.

Another case of "TIT"

Quite interesting to note that most Brits I know coming over here after 28 September have NO CLUE that they are flying to the new airport, and their travel agents/tour operators in the UK don't know either ! Should make for big fun.

First commercial flights land at Suvarnabhumi airport

Bangkok's new airport opened for business Friday as a Thai Airways aircraft carrying 70 passengers touched down, the first commercial flight to land at Bangkok's new international aviation hub.

There was no reports of major glitches. Domestic flights start using the airport on Friday while the international ones officially on September 28.

Thai Airways President Apinan Sumanaseni said, "there were no major disruptions or errors this morning. We've prepared for any emergency.

Thai Airways along with Australian budget airline Jetstar began flights Friday at Suvarnabhumi.

The only problem to happen on Friday, however, was a short hold-up at the check-in counters when boarding passes could not be printed, officials said.

Bangkok Airways is expected to begin flights at Suvarnabhumi on September 21.

Source: The Nation - 15 September 2006

No doubt the new airport is fantastic, the only problem is that it's not ready yet for a massive transition.

When the opening date was set no one asked all those hardworking people on the ground if it's reasonable or doable, no one consulted with airlines about how much time they need to prepare for a switch.

One would expect that they err on the side of caution and gave it a bit more time to thoroughly test all the systems before the big day.

Have they sorted out luggage problems, for example. There were reports, burried deep in the papers, that it took one hour to retrieve you luggage after test flights last month. What will happen when hundreds of flights need to be processed simultaneously?

There were reports that their celebrated CTX luggage scanners are too slow and they need to transfer scanning machines from Don Muang. How is that going?

No doubt the new airport is fantastic, the only problem is that it's not ready yet for a massive transition.

When the opening date was set no one asked all those hardworking people on the ground if it's reasonable or doable, no one consulted with airlines about how much time they need to prepare for a switch.

One would expect that they err on the side of caution and gave it a bit more time to thoroughly test all the systems before the big day.

Have they sorted out luggage problems, for example. There were reports, burried deep in the papers, that it took one hour to retrieve you luggage after test flights last month. What will happen when hundreds of flights need to be processed simultaneously?

There were reports that their celebrated CTX luggage scanners are too slow and they need to transfer scanning machines from Don Muang. How is that going?

From The Nation today:

"For every 50 pieces of test luggage, 20 went missing," said the staff member, who did not want to be identified. So, if a piece of luggage goes missing, what happens next, she was asked. Well, with the new centralised single conveyor system, it means more of a headache to trace it and re-channel it back to the right place. "We're trying to fix it," she said.

The woman staffer added an even more ominous note to the list of complaints. It seems many who will man the airport have not been trained yet. "Training is not completed yet," she said, in an echo of the many critics who feel the government wants the airport opened as soon as possible and at l costs so that it will reap a feel-good windfall ahead of the election.

When one is in doubt as to where one's flight will land or from where it will depart, doesn't it make more sense to call the airline for information than to inquire on an internet message board? Confused travellers and clueless travel agents are one thing, but given the scope of the undertaking you'd expect the air carriers know where their staff and equipment will be.

Edited by Thai-Spy

You know,

Well Said - been here 17 years and amazed at the changes taken place in this wonderful country.

Everyone has a choice of where they wish to reside, so, if you dont like like, then why dont you leave!!!

Exactly the same could be said about people participation in online forums. Don't like the whining, find another thread.

There were posters here who called the airlines and didn't get definite answers.

No one knows anything for sure - that includes the airlines, travel agents, even the airport management, I believe. Don't blame it on forum members.

Mr.Pongsak questions AOT executives re electrical capacity at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal(พงษ์ศักดิ์ รัตพงศ์ไพศาล) has urgently called for a meeting with the executives of Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited and related agencies to inform problems with electricity inflow at THAI check-in counter at Suvarnabhumi airport this morning.

Mr. Pongsak said such problem has caused delay in the check-in of passengers by 10 minutes. He said security measures will be implemented.

In the meantime, Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdeephol (สมชัย สวัสดีผล) disclosed that the police officials have interrogated the suspect who appeared on CCTV this morning.

He said it was a misunderstanding of the officials regarding the start button of the air-conditioner and the start button of the electrical equipment which will link to the check-in system of THAI. However, the meeting will be concluded at 16.00 hrs.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 September 2006

Mr. Pongsaka admitted mistakes on taxi services at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal (พงษ์ศักดิ์ รักตพงศ์ไพศาล) admitted that there had been mistakes during the approval for the taxis in peripheral areas to provide transport services to passengers in Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Mr. Pongsak said he was frustrated with his orders because the functions were not following them. He insisted that the orders were made for the taxis from outside to provide services for the passengers to and from the airport.

He said there were errors in the service process as the orders permitted the taxis from outside to enter the site. He said the executives of the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited will discussed this matter with him today.

Earlier, Mr. Pongsak prohibited taxis from outside to enter the new airport for the safety of passengers. Taxis without authorized license from the airport will not be able to enter the airport. Currently, 10,000 taxis have been authorized to enter Suvarnabhumi airport.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 September 2006

Mr. Pongsaka admitted mistakes on taxi services at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal (พงษ์ศักดิ์ รักตพงศ์ไพศาล) admitted that there had been mistakes during the approval for the taxis in peripheral areas to provide transport services to passengers in Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Earlier, Mr. Pongsak prohibited taxis from outside to enter the new airport for the safety of passengers. Taxis without authorized license from the airport will not be able to enter the airport. Currently, 10,000 taxis have been authorized to enter Suvarnabhumi airport.

Sorry, but this is a little confusing- does this mean there will be a checkpoint for taxis entering the airport with passengers, and those without the permit can't enter the airport? What heppens to their passengers? If I need a taxi to the airport (and I do the morning of the 29th) I have to find one with a permit? Can we have a picture of what this permit looks like? Does this apply to private limo services also?

I think we all hope that this opening goes as smoothly as possible. But the government is treating this like the opening of a new mall, not an international ariport. HMMM- just found this quote on another airport thread:

A female Thai Airways ticket staffer complained: "There are too few seats and too many shops. It's not like an airport but more like a shopping mall."

Edited by Netfan

No one knows anything for sure - that includes the airlines, travel agents, even the airport management, I believe. Don't blame it on forum members.

Hot off the press, just received from BA...

Dear Mr xxxx,

We would like to advise you that from 0300 on 28 September 2006, British Airways will be moving its Bangkok services from Don Muang Airport to the new Suvarnabhumi Airport.

We are working closely with the Airport Authority of Thailand to ensure a smooth transition between the two airports. If you are travelling close to, or after September 27, please visit ba.com for more information about which airport your flight will be operating from. Details of our future customer facilities at Suvarnabhumi Airport are also available on ba.com

You have to read this (entirely) !

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/15...al_30013673.php

A refreshing testimony... that changes from the Walt Disney tales of the Transport Minister.

-no seats ("passengers have to stand, we want them to go as quick as possible into the retail space")

-no toilets

-training not completed yet

and other sanook stuff (CTX scanner, conveyor belt, trolleys)

But, they WILL open it in 2 weeks. Because Thaksin has said so.

I think it's nice to see the positive comments from the likes of jomtiened. The opening of a new airport as has been said above is a major logistical exercise which will obviously have teething problems.

Which is why statements from poo-yais that everything is fully ready, in time for the now-to-be-delayed election, are so entertaining. :D If only they could accept, what we all know, that this will have a few teething problems, which is no 'loss of face' for anyone, then they might get things more-right more-quickly.

From everyone I have spoken to who have been involved in the airport a large part of the current finishing delays have come from the international carriers not getting there S*** together with regard to lounges etc.

Whereas the international-carriers say that they were not given access, until too late, and that AoT failed to understand the lead-times involved. Despite the June/JulyIATA visit/report highlighting their 90+ areas-of-concern. Who do YOU believe ? :o

This was the subject of a recent thread, when a presentation to twenty-odd airlines "was a complete success" despite the boarding-cards & luggage-tags having to be hand-written when the printers failed ! And with the start of (extremely-limited) operations, this morning, the lunchtime TV-News was reporting serious problems with the luggage-handling systems.

You saw it coming first - here on ThaiVisa.com !

You know,

Well Said - been here 17 years and amazed at the changes taken place in this wonderful country.

Everyone has a choice of where they wish to reside, so, if you dont like like, then why dont you leave!!!

Same tired old comment - I wondered how quickly it would surface.

No, I've seen management-disasters before, from the inside, and constructive-criticism is an attempt to warn people, in time to correct the fault, not 'constant complaining' at all.

To solve a problem - you must first admit that it exists.