Thai Ready For First Flight From Suvarnabhumi

george

Exactly Ricardo- I don't think anyone expects a perfectly running airport on the 28th. But it's reports like these that get people worried:

"There are hardly any seats because passengers must stand," huffed an Airports of Thailand (AOT) information officer. "We want them to check in quickly and get to the retail space." What if I don't want to go to the retail space? What if I just want to sit and read and wait for my flight?

When the chairman of the AOT board, Srisuk Chandransu, happened by, he quickly shied away from The Nation's questions about toilets and public seating, saying he was a bit too busy.

No comment needed for this one.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all very <deleted> well isn't it.

I mean you book a flight to the big mango and you wouldn't have f^&%$#g clue where yor gonna land.

Nice if you want people to meet you.

They should do it on one day but I guess this is a bit too much to expect from the Thai techno mentality.

Another case of "TIT"

Apparently the techno-mentality which has been overwhelmed is not Thai.

How difficult is it to read the code on the ticket and plan accordingly?

"An “NBK” code on a ticket means that the flight is at Suvarnabhumi Airport, while “BKK” is at Bangkok International Airport (Don Muang).

Obviously switching an operation of this size in one day would be highly irresponsible and the chaos that would ensue would be exactly what some of the chronic complainers on this message board would jump all over.

It seems, no matter what the Thai authorities do, it makes no sense to the resident armchair quarterbacks.

I seldom love a quote as much as this one. :o Kop Khun Maak Krup

My tickets clearly state TU26SEP BKKPER etc. FR27OCT PERBKK. I was told be the main Thai Airways office in Udon that the departure would definitley be from Don Muang and arrival would be Suvarnabhumi. This code thing must be a late change or I remain one of the confused.

Not a late change. By October 27 Don Muang will not be operating anymore and therefore the usual code BKK is in use for the new airport. If I didn't misunderstand all the enlightening comments.

I think it's nice to see the positive comments from the likes of jomtiened. The opening of a new airport as has been said above is a major logistical exercise which will obviously have teething problems. From everyone I have spoken to who have been involved in the airport a large part of the current finishing delays have come from the international carriers not getting there S*** together with regard to lounges etc. Sure there will be problems and I am personally happy that I will not need to go through the new airport on the first day but will use it after a week. It just seems sensible for the first few months to leave for the airport a bit earlier to allow for the potential delays as they are working very hard to get the airport up and running. Having worked for 3 years on the subway I was sceptical when that opened but one of the amazing things about Thailand is how they actually manage to get things working even when with our western logic we think it will be impossible. Rather than complain and whinge why not just wait and see what happens...I firmly believe that the new airport will open with a lot fewer problems than most people on this forum seem to anticipate because the Thais when they set their mind to it are very good at making things happen.

The code change makes sense whilst Don Muang is still operational and it seems quite logical that from the 28th when all flights will be through the new airport (can't get the spelling right yet) the code will change from NBK to BKK.

It seems strange that people who obviously like being in/living in Thailand seek at all times to denegrate the Thai's and what happens in this wonderful country. Maybe you should think about the reasons you are here and appreciate that whilst not everything runs as it does in the west or how we think it should that this is just maybe the reason that brought you here in the first place.

What a pleasant read after all the usual hick-hack on the country and the people who let us be their (permanent) guests.

Great news - no Bangkok taxis allowed to pick up at new airport.

thats old stuff ...

taxis (after aprooval) (not older as a few years) can hang around at the bus terminal.

so you have to take (at least this is free) the shuttle bus to taxistand ;-)

i have somewhere a nice pdf-documet about tihs

-search-

Great news - no Bangkok taxis allowed to pick up at new airport.
taxis (after aprooval) (not older as a few years) can hang around at the bus terminal.

so you have to take (at least this is free) the shuttle bus to taxistand ;-)

Where have you people been for the last seven days?

Taxis are allowed to pick up passengers at the airport terminal. See here.

---------------

Maestro

ahh oke .. forgive me .. i was busy fetch up the visa tread ;-))

and watching Fireguards at the swamp airport training on a rusting DC-50 emergency cases

instead of domestic takeoffs ;-)

Edited by altf4

I think it's nice to see the positive comments from the likes of jomtiened. The opening of a new airport as has been said above is a major logistical exercise which will obviously have teething problems. From everyone I have spoken to who have been involved in the airport a large part of the current finishing delays have come from the international carriers not getting there S*** together with regard to lounges etc. Sure there will be problems and I am personally happy that I will not need to go through the new airport on the first day but will use it after a week. It just seems sensible for the first few months to leave for the airport a bit earlier to allow for the potential delays as they are working very hard to get the airport up and running. Having worked for 3 years on the subway I was sceptical when that opened but one of the amazing things about Thailand is how they actually manage to get things working even when with our western logic we think it will be impossible. Rather than complain and whinge why not just wait and see what happens...I firmly believe that the new airport will open with a lot fewer problems than most people on this forum seem to anticipate because the Thais when they set their mind to it are very good at making things happen.

The code change makes sense whilst Don Muang is still operational and it seems quite logical that from the 28th when all flights will be through the new airport (can't get the spelling right yet) the code will change from NBK to BKK.

It seems strange that people who obviously like being in/living in Thailand seek at all times to denegrate the Thai's and what happens in this wonderful country. Maybe you should think about the reasons you are here and appreciate that whilst not everything runs as it does in the west or how we think it should that this is just maybe the reason that brought you here in the first place.

What a pleasant read after all the usual hick-hack on the country and the people who let us be their (permanent) guests.

I have yet to see anywhere in this thread where such judgment has been made of Thai people or Thailand in general. Posters are merely pointing out things that have been reported or observed as issues that may as yet be resolved, and as such raise questions to some regarding readiness. How is that offensive to Thais or Thailand? The newspapers are doing it, the airlines and professional organizations have done it, why is it seen as inappropriate for such issues to be raised here? After all, this is a forum for sharing information. Or are we only supposed to share information that is approved by those that do not want to hear things that to them might place the airport in anything but a stellar light?

The main issue here in not the end product, but when the end product is ready for full-scale operation. Maybe the 28th is indeed that date, maybe it’s a bit soon. None of us will really know until it arrives, but what’s wrong with asking the question? Many Thais have been asking it themselves.

So let the information exchange continue, but not question peoples’ support for Thaland and Thai people—that’s nuts.

And let’s all hope for a nice, smooth opening.

Happy Flying

SNIPPETS

The Nation

September 15, 2006 - Detector makes an exception

Caretaker Transport Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal may have thought he had been given special privileges at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday when he was allowed to walk through a set of metal detectors with his cellophane and a key chain still in his pocket.

He and his team surprised airport authorities yesterday when they appeared and started inspecting metal detectors and check-in counters ahead of Suvarnabhumi's official opening for domestic flights on Friday. They also stopped by some duty free shops and an airport hotel. The caretaker transport minister spent about an hour inspecting the operational systems.

He told reporters that the security systems would need to be improved after he walked through a metal detector and purposely kept his mobile phone and key chain in his pocket.

"To my surprise, the machine did not beep at me. It did beep when my police guard walked past it," he said.

He was able to contain his surprise long enough to assign the officials concerned to improve the system before the fast-approaching opening date. It seems he did not believe he had special privileges as a minister.

A BBC Article

Last Updated: Thursday, 14 September 2006, 16:41 GMT 17:41 UK

Bangkok's airport faces nervous start

By Jonathan Head {He of the Thai Brides article!}

BBC News, Bangkok

Anyone travelling to Bangkok from the end of September will find themselves flying not into the dilapidated old airport at Don Muang, but into a brand new, state-of-the art airport situated 25km east of the capital.

Called Suvarnabhumi (Golden Land), the project was held back by frequent changes of government in Thailand, until the election of Thaksin Shinawatra as prime minister five years ago, who made it a personal priority to get the airport built.

Even now Suvarnabhumi is mired in controversy over allegations of corruption during its construction and complaints from the travel industry that Mr Thaksin is forcing it to open before it has been fully tested.

From a distance it shimmers in the heat, a series of huge steel-and-glass hoops and sweeping triangles of fabric glinting with the sun.

We want it to open only when it is operationally ready

Albert Tjoeng, IATA

Up close, the sheer size of the main airport terminal - the world's biggest single terminal building - takes your breath away.

Designed by the renowned architect Helmut Jahn, with concessions to indigenous Thai motifs that are hard to spot in the uncompromisingly modern design, this is building on a monumental scale, building that is meant to impress.

But will it work? Will it be as good to use as it is to look at?

'Not ready'

IATA, the International Air Transport Association, which represents the world's airlines, and therefore Suvarnabhumi's main customers, is not convinced it will be, at least in the first few weeks. Nor is much of Thailand's travel industry.

"We want Suvarnabhumi to be a success," says Albert Tjoeng, from IATA. "But we want it to open only when it is operationally ready - there needs to be more meaningful consultation between the airport and the airlines which will use it."

Complaints by airlines about the cost of using the new airport have forced AOT, the airport authority, to bring down the charges.

But the airlines are far more worried that the airport will not be fully tested by the time it opens on 28 September and that there will be problems handling passengers, baggage and security.

AOT has brushed these concerns aside, bizarrely even accusing the IATA spokesman of trying to favour rival airports in the region. But there is no getting away from the fact that this $4bn project has become embroiled in politics and prestige.

Tourism accounts for 14% of Thailand's GDP, and the new airport will play a vital role in keeping the numbers of visitors growing.

Having missed three other deadlines he set for it to open, Prime Minister Thaksin insisted it must open by 28 September - his critics argue that this is in order to benefit him before a difficult election scheduled for November.

"He wants to open the airport before the election to project an image that he's in charge, that Thailand is going somewhere under his government," says Thitinan Pongsudhirak at Chulalongkorn University.

Record-breaker

After the chaotic openings of some other airports in Asia in the past, IATA drew up a check-list for airport developers to follow, which it says enabled Incheon in South Korea and Chubu in Nagoya, Japan, to open smoothly.

The association says it cannot understand why AOT has not followed their example.

But AOT insists there will be no serious problems.

I was taken on a tour by the authority during the final weeks of preparation. Thousands of staff from the old airport, the national airline and volunteers from the army were practising check-ins, security screening, passport control and baggage collection.

The spectacular building gave a tremendous feeling of light and airiness, although it might seem a little cold or intimidating for those used to the quieter and more intimate atmosphere at Bangkok's main rival airport in Singapore.

AOT claims Suvarnabhumi sets a whole series of world records - the largest single terminal building, at 563,000 sq m; the tallest control tower; and arguably the longest-delayed opening, 45 years since the project was first mooted.

A series of large-scale works of art have been commissioned to decorate the new building, ranging from impressive murals in the baggage-collection hall to some slightly garish reproductions of Thai mythical figures.

After checking in, passengers will be presented with kilometre-long corridors of duty-free shops, although critics say not enough space has been given to retailers, forcing King Power, the company controversially awarded a monopoly over duty-free outlets, to charge much higher prices.

But facilities should be much better than at the old airport, including a spa and a bowling alley.

Transport to the new airport is another matter.

A new rail link is not expected to open for at least two years; there is good access from expressways, but Suvarnabhumi is further from Bangkok than the old airport, and there is still some confusion over whether taxis will be allowed to pick passengers up directly from the terminal.

So by 0300 on 28 September, Bangkok's old airport at Don Muang, which has done sterling service accommodating tens of millions of travellers, will have seen off its last commercial flight.

Few will miss its shabby departure and arrival halls.

But there are likely to be plenty of anxious moments for passengers and airline officials during the new airport's first weeks, as they find out whether Suvarnabhumi will live up to its ambition to be one of the world's leading transport hubs. He said the H word!

Link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5345954.stm

/ edit format//

Edited by A_Traveller

AOT claims Suvarnabhumi sets a whole series of world records - the largest single terminal building, at 563,000 sq m; the tallest control tower; and arguably the longest-delayed opening, 45 years since the project was first mooted.

SIGH !!!

LOL

"There are hardly any seats because passengers must stand," huffed an Airports of Thailand (AOT) information officer. "We want them to check in quickly and get to the retail space." What if I don't want to go to the retail space? What if I just want to sit and read and wait for my flight?

Why don't you go to your gate and sit and read there? Certainly there will be enough seating near the gates. Though I don't know for certain because I haven't been there yet. Most airports I've been to have very limited seating in either the departure or arrival area. Many times at Don Muang I've seen all the limited seating full. Even more of a joke is the few chairs they have at the departure area of the domestic terminal at Don Muang. I don't think I've ever seen it when it without being fully occupied. In general, it seems that airports don't want you hanging around for long periods of time in the departure area. They want you to process quickly through the checkin and then go to your gate, a lounge, restaurant, shopping, etc. If too many people arrived many hours before the checkin counter opened and just sat there, it would mean they'd need to build a much larger space (thus costing more money) for waiting passengers in the arrivals area. If you arrive too early for your flight, it might be a bit of an inconvenience, but certainly it makes sense to me why they do it.

I have yet to see anywhere in this thread where such judgment has been made of Thai people or Thailand in general. Posters are merely pointing out things that have been reported or observed as issues that may as yet be resolved, and as such raise questions to some regarding readiness. How is that offensive to Thais or Thailand? The newspapers are doing it, the airlines and professional organizations have done it, why is it seen as inappropriate for such issues to be raised here? After all, this is a forum for sharing information. Or are we only supposed to share information that is approved by those that do not want to hear things that to them might place the airport in anything but a stellar light?

The main issue here in not the end product, but when the end product is ready for full-scale operation. Maybe the 28th is indeed that date, maybe it’s a bit soon. None of us will really know until it arrives, but what’s wrong with asking the question? Many Thais have been asking it themselves.

So let the information exchange continue, but not question peoples’ support for Thaland and Thai people—that’s nuts.

Happy Flying

Thank You, and Happy Flying indeed. :o

Happy Flying

Salween

I was not referring to the general level of comments regarding legitimate concerns with the opening of the airport but some of the earlier posts which seem to take pleasure in assuming that because this is Thailand (TIT) that there will be more problems than elsewhere.

The type of legitimate comments/concerns made regarding the readiness of the airport to open and the facilities available are a characteristic of thaivisa forums but at times I get the feeling that a minority seem to find pleasure in having a go at the country where they have chosen to live because things do not always work how they think it should. The other point I was trying to make was that in my time in Thailand (I have been here a while now) I have noticed on numerous occasions the ability of the Thai people to make things happen at a speed that would be impossible in the west, I guess the key point is lets wait and see what happens when the airport opens before jumping to conclusions but at the same time highlight legitimate concerns that have been raised by the people in the know.

regards

Happy Flying

Salween

I was not referring to the general level of comments regarding legitimate concerns with the opening of the airport but some of the earlier posts which seem to take pleasure in assuming that because this is Thailand (TIT) that there will be more problems than elsewhere.

The type of legitimate comments/concerns made regarding the readiness of the airport to open and the facilities available are a characteristic of thaivisa forums but at times I get the feeling that a minority seem to find pleasure in having a go at the country where they have chosen to live because things do not always work how they think it should. The other point I was trying to make was that in my time in Thailand (I have been here a while now) I have noticed on numerous occasions the ability of the Thai people to make things happen at a speed that would be impossible in the west, I guess the key point is lets wait and see what happens when the airport opens before jumping to conclusions but at the same time highlight legitimate concerns that have been raised by the people in the know.

regards

Pidster,

Thanks for the additional clarification. First, I forgot to note that I did appreciate much of the substance of your project management observations. Let’s hope that looks are indeed deceiving and the all-hands experience you observed with the subway is what’s also happening at the airport.

However, it remains frustrating (to me anyway) to observe posters straying from the facts and using terms like denigrate to directly reference some implied frustration or arrogance toward Thai people they’ve observed, that frankly I believe seldom exists at the level often suggested on these forums.

Not to imply it does not exist at all as you pointed out. Some Westerners (and they're not alone in this) can all too often intentionally or unintentionally exude such arrogance, which certainly does not contribute to world harmony. Nation to nation, race to race and/or religion to religion, not everyone feels we’re all cut from the same mold and accorded equal respect. Some Thais themselves are certainly guilty of it toward Laotians and Cambodians…., Westerners too.

All I’m offering is that we take care not to unnecessarily throw fuel on a fire that is not really there, or use the “western arrogance” card as some veto mechanism to stifle debate. What I mostly observe on TV is criticisms and observations that are made about approaches etc., (with which individually we can agree or disagree) sometimes with quite a bit of emotional frustration, but more often with some good-natured humor.

And as far as the TIT usage, I share your observation. But I’ve heard the same type of term employed to laugh-off --even embrace--all manner of frustrations in nearly every country I’ve visited, and more often then not, by the citizens themselves. Humans are fallible, and the structures we put in place to manage our societies even more so—keeps things interesting.

All the best.

I think you are unfair! All new super airports will and have have problems in the beginning, even Suvannapoom.

You're 100 % right. That's the problem !

All people know that opening a new airport is a very complex operation, and that the first months can be difficult. We have had many examples of it before, especially in Asia.

What make me sick is that the opening date was not choosen by professionals (builders, engineers, airlines etc.), but by a politician, AKA Thaksin, for it's own personal interest.

This is why many people are defiant. We don't trust whatever they say, because it's flawed right from the beginning.

A system is ready when the people who design and build it say it is.

I think you are unfair! All new super airports will and have have problems in the beginning, even Suvannapoom.

You're 100 % right. That's the problem !

All people know that opening a new airport is a very complex operation, and that the first months can be difficult. We have had many examples of it before, especially in Asia.

What make me sick is that the opening date was not choosen by professionals (builders, engineers, airlines etc.), but by a politician, AKA Thaksin, for it's own personal interest.

This is why many people are defiant. We don't trust whatever they say, because it's flawed right from the beginning.

A system is ready when the people who design and build it say it is.

Or at least as ready as they think they can make it. The stakes are certainly a lot higher with a major airport opening than a lot of other projects. Yesterday's blackout adventure certainly did little to add to the confidence.

I did appreciate the spin though: :o

AOT president Chotisak Asapaviriya said the incident proved Suvarnabhumi Airport was highly efficient in swiftly coping with unexpected situations.

"Passengers were boarded without much delay," he said.

Some of the statements this guy has made to the press are amazing, he's always looking at the bright side. A great marketing man. But getting 83 people on a plane--wonder what it would have been like were the blackout to have occurred in two weeks.

Also this part:

"We knew about the power glitch from 1am but could not fix it in time, because many officials were still working at Don Muang Airport. On September 28, when this new airport starts full service, it will be a different scenario, because we're going to have officials all round the facility," Somchai said.

Wow, a switch was turn off (security breach or accident) how long does it take to figure that out? If there's no power, make sure things are turned on? It does not seem there was more to it than that, was there?

Systems may be in place, but do the people know how to use and manage them?

But that's one great thing about these tests though, better now than the 28th.

Also this part:

"We knew about the power glitch from 1am but could not fix it in time, because many officials were still working at Don Muang Airport. On September 28, when this new airport starts full service, it will be a different scenario, because we're going to have officials all round the facility," Somchai said.

lets hope this "officials" are also "professionals".

good move to use the word "official" ;-)

Why don't you go to your gate and sit and read there? Certainly there will be enough seating near the gates. Though I don't know for certain because I haven't been there yet. Most airports I've been to have very limited seating in either the departure or arrival area. Many times at Don Muang I've seen all the limited seating full. Even more of a joke is the few chairs they have at the departure area of the domestic terminal at Don Muang. I don't think I've ever seen it when it without being fully occupied. In general, it seems that airports don't want you hanging around for long periods of time in the departure area. They want you to process quickly through the checkin and then go to your gate, a lounge, restaurant, shopping, etc. If too many people arrived many hours before the checkin counter opened and just sat there, it would mean they'd need to build a much larger space (thus costing more money) for waiting passengers in the arrivals area. If you arrive too early for your flight, it might be a bit of an inconvenience, but certainly it makes sense to me why they do it.

Sure that makes sense to you, but not to me.

I have a Thai flight arriving BKK at 16.05 and a flight leaving to Paris at 20.45.

Next flight out of Udon (Air Asia) arrives 18.40 too risky to take due to many Air Asia delays.

What shall I do in the mean time before check in counter opens, walk around to discover the huge departure hall??? Sorry but my health does not allow that. I would be happy to sit down there and read a book. If it is similar to Dong Muang forget it. I do sit on my luggage or lay down on the floor, piss off security if they don't like that. Ever tried to sit outside Dong Muang in the heath and stench of the high way there?

Seems to me they are very considerate to early arrivals and eldery people, good job!

BTW, I have the same problem on the way back to CDG, but at least I know a place to drink a coffee and relax there.

Sure that makes sense to you, but not to me.

I have a Thai flight arriving BKK at 16.05 and a flight leaving to Paris at 20.45.

Next flight out of Udon (Air Asia) arrives 18.40 too risky to take due to many Air Asia delays.

What shall I do in the mean time before check in counter opens, walk around to discover the huge departure hall??? Sorry but my health does not allow that. I would be happy to sit down there and read a book. If it is similar to Dong Muang forget it. I do sit on my luggage or lay down on the floor, piss off security if they don't like that. Ever tried to sit outside Dong Muang in the heath and stench of the high way there?

Seems to me they are very considerate to early arrivals and eldery people, good job!

BTW, I have the same problem on the way back to CDG, but at least I know a place to drink a coffee and relax there.

There's plenty of places now at Don Muang where you can do the same thing...have a cup of coffee while relaxing and reading a book. I imagine Suvarnabhumi will also have similar places. If you're scheduled to arrive at 16:05, by the time you actually get off the plane, collect your luggage if necessary, and get to your international check-in point, it'll certainly be at least nearly 17:00. Not sure about other airlines, but Thai normally allows me to check in 3 hours in advance, so that leaves you with just 45 minutes to wait. Certainly any of the coffee shops wouldn't object to you staying that amount of time with a minimum purchase. BTW, I saw a report that Thai Airways will have an economy class lounge at the new airport, so if you were flying on Thai that might be an option for some after they've checked in, though don't know any details of how it will work. Oh, good decision not to take Air Asia as that flight seems to always be late and you'd certainly run the risk of missing your connection.

Anyways, I agree with you that it certainly would be more convenient for passengers if airports put more seating in the departure area, but I understand why they don't as it would add more to the cost of the airport, meaning a likely higher departure tax. I'd be willing to bet that for most passengers they'd rather forgo the additional departure area seating given a choice between it or paying more tax, being that most passengers probably wouldn't use it.

OH ya, as we were leaving the building and walked into the rotating door the door stoped rotating and we were stuck there for a few seconds. YEp, sure the airport is ready.

yep and thats the way rotating doors work these days

if you bang into them they stop

then they reset after a few seconds and carry on

I've had a lot of amusement when people go through these doors in a hurry and push them hard

so the door stops and then the person pushes harder so the door doesnt move and they push harder and harder

it's really funny when the person loses their teddy and breaks down in tears as one gorgeaous chinese woman did in a hotel entrance in the south of france with the hotel staff trying to tell her NOT to push we all fell about :D:D:D:D

she was in there for about 5 mins

to say the least she was angry and embarrassed!!

and the reason for these type of doors so people can get large luggage trolleys and volumes of people through at a safe speed

yep as you say the airport is ready (heavy irony) but the doors work as they should :o