Regional Thai Embassies More Restrictive

Now that the visa requirements are scheduled to be more restrictive inside Thailand starting October 1, we are beginning to see the changes in the regional Thai Embassies and Consulates for business visa application requirements.

We sent our client to the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with the proper documents to apply for a non-immigrant business visa for 90 days. Now the Thai Embassy in KL is requiring a certified copy of the business registration documents for his Thai Limited Company BEFORE issuing the business visa. We are in the process of setting up his Thai company for him in Bangkok. Previously, we had provided our own company documents as the sponsor for securing the non-immigrant business visa for 90 days. Typically, the client will go outside to Malaysia to obtain a non-immigrant business visa (if they don't already have one) in order to apply for the work permit.

Our staff made calls today to the Thai Embassies in KL, Phnom Penh (Cambodia) and Vientiane (Lao), and the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong. The visa officers in each Embassy/Consulate verified that the Managing Director of that company must be the person signing the "guarantee" letter requesting the visa, a detailed description of job in that company and that all company documents (every last one of them) must be included with the application. This is a significant change and more restrictive from the previous requirements. By the way, we attempted to contact the Thai Consulate in Peneng but the telephone was engaged all day long. Remember that the information given out by the visa officer at one particular Thai Embassy or Consulate can vary greatly from another.

If you are interested in starting a business in Thailand it is still possible to obtain the non-immigrant business visa in a nearby Thai Embassy/Consulate, however, the company must be registered first and the Thai visa application comes after. Our ability to assist our Thai visa clients in USA and UK is unaffected by these new stricter guidelines so I highly recommend applying for your Thai Visa in your home country. Don’t leave home without it!

Dennis Ramm

www.siam-legal.com

Interesting note: We counted the telephone calls to our 7 offices (Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Samui, Hua Hin, Pattaya, and Jomtien) on Wednesday this week. We received 179 calls asking about the new visa regulations.

Dennis

Thank you for your information, I am here on Non Immi B Visa with 1 year multiple re-entry, I have had a WP (Last year), I would like to apply for a WP, can you advise what I need to do ?, if I engaged your firm, how much would it cost for you to get my WP.

Thanks

MB

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is my situation;

I am here on a 30 day voa and have been here for 8 months now. My friend has a company that is 100% legit, with all the company documents and taxes paid, etc. He has offered me a job as a customer relations manager. We are headed to Penang on Monday to apply for the business visa so that I can apply for the WP after that. He is bringing all his company paperwork with him and I will have a letter of invitation to work for his company. I think that with all this we are bringing to Penang, we should be good to go. If that's not the case, could someone please tell me if i need additional paperwork. I leave tomorrow night and I want to be sure that we have everything we need or else it's a big headache for all of us. Thanks.

here is my situation;

I am here on a 30 day voa and have been here for 8 months now. My friend has a company that is 100% legit, with all the company documents and taxes paid, etc. He has offered me a job as a customer relations manager. We are headed to Penang on Monday to apply for the business visa so that I can apply for the WP after that. He is bringing all his company paperwork with him and I will have a letter of invitation to work for his company. I think that with all this we are bringing to Penang, we should be good to go. If that's not the case, could someone please tell me if i need additional paperwork. I leave tomorrow night and I want to be sure that we have everything we need or else it's a big headache for all of us. Thanks.

I am in the same position as you. I have got myself a job and I have got all the paperwork from the company. But I have been advised to go to KL because I have not got the WP3 apparently in Penang they require a WP3 from the labour department. For which you will have to hand in passport and wait for 2-3 weeks. And I think its best to do it before the 1st Oct. I am flying tomorrow to be there for Monday morning. If I do get refused I will get a single entry tourist and get it converted to a non imm B in Bangkok. I would reconsider going to Penang if you have not got the WP3.

here is my situation;

I am in the same position as you. I have got myself a job and I have got all the paperwork from the company. But I have been advised to go to KL because I have not got the WP3 apparently in Penang they require a WP3 from the labour department. For which you will have to hand in passport and wait for 2-3 weeks. And I think its best to do it before the 1st Oct. I am flying tomorrow to be there for Monday morning. If I do get refused I will get a single entry tourist and get it converted to a non imm B in Bangkok. I would reconsider going to Penang if you have not got the WP3.

seriously, you think i would be better off going back to the UK before my visa is due to expire in Jan and apply for a new visa there, how about a country in this region Singapore, is this possible or is it just harder?

Up until a few days ago, I would of suggested just that, but right now I'm not so sure (after reading the other post regarding that subject), wish I could be a little more help regarding that.... sorry. At least Hull is very easy provided the expense of the flight is not a problem, and you can provide the required SPONSER letter as I suggested.

Sol

Its a shame these schools don't get thier acts together, they want your skills but don't want to help secure your WP, thats not on in my book......

Talking about expensive flight to UK, has anybody noticed that from 23rd Nov., JETSTAR are starting 3 flights per week Bangkok to Melbourne BHT7800 one way............now thats not at all expensive. :o

here is my situation;

Unfortunately I have aleady got everything booked for the trip to Penang. I have PM'd sunbelt and am awaiting a resonse from them. I can't believe that this is so difficult. I mean, even with everything apparently in order I still don't know whether it will be enough or not. Oh well, all you can do is try and if that doesn't work...try again.

Hey

If you actually read the Notes on the Thai Consul Website at Hull, it clearly states that to renew your Non Imm. B Visa, you should return to the country where your Passport was issued in.....IE: Home Country.

I know it may be an inconvenience or an added expense, but, if thats the system, we must adhere to it. If we wish to use the Non Imm. B to enter Thailand, then we need to read and comprehend all the requirements as posted on the various Home Country Consul Websites.

Kind regards

Peter

I have never used them but as far as I know, in the past they required that you once had in person to get a visum in Hull, after that it could be done by mail... Again this may have changed...

mmmmmmmmmmm! i am beginning to think that all this crap has been put out by the "HULL TOURISM AUTHORITY" lololol

Non imm O is next thats my bet.

For the last 2 years they've been looking at my non O application and have tried to push me towards a Business visa instead. Only I dont have a business, not yet anyway.. But London said they wouldn't give me the 'o' next time. Penang this time around tut tutted but issued it anyway.

Everything has so far has been Ok, but I have been living with the fear that next time round it may go tits up.

The goverment gets more cash from a business visa than a non O in the long run . like wise they dont want to give away 30day visas when they could get however much it is for a 60/90 day visa.

( I supose they dont like us giving money to Myamar either evertime someone does a run.)

One thing I would like to clarify if anyone can help.

On a 'non im 'o' visa, based on having dependants in Thailand. I have been told that a person on this visa can work within a family business. with no WP. however another source has told me that only applies if you are married , which I am not.

What is the law on this?

Another question , out of interest is...

Are there any figures published that show how much money is generated or brought in into the country by Falang against money taken out the country by Falang, with regards business.?

I personally think it will all pan out in the end, this admistration just hates Falang and feel the very least we can do is pay for a nice new HQ and country club for them.

(unless of course America is pissed at loosing so many patriots to the Thai economy and has done some kind of sly trade agreement with Thailand to stop'em comming, the one country i trust less than Thailand and it wouldnt be the 1st time they poke their noses in other peoples affairs, would it)

+

This is beginning to sound like the death-throes of an administration that knows it's on its way out, and knows that a large part of the enlightening of the masses came from foreigners, not from Thais.

Simplest illustration - 31 July 2002 - Thaksin pays back the IMF loan, against all advice, and declares Thailand's financial institutions "free of foreign interference and control" (we know now why he wanted that don't we Temasek?)

27 Dec 2003 Thaksin announces that Thailand does not need foreign financial aid for the tsunami clear-up, and the BBC announces that he may be right because "only 47% (forty seven) of Thai GDP is being used to pay off foreign debt".

You can fool some of the people some of the time .......

Next announcement will probably be a massive tightening of the rules for Press Visas (I hope not, but am not holding my breath on it).

Gaz

YO GAZ CHAINGMAI...I understood press visas were easy to get as long s you did't say anything about thailand( get my drift)...lso if the rumours are true don't buy condo or house in the north because if the shit hits the fan in burma we are going to be swamped with refugees( na son san con palma) .Apparantly there are thousands on the borbers already who have been percecuted by the regime!!! THINK I EVEN SAY A BIT ON THE BBC ABOUT IT!! :o

Unfortunately I have aleady got everything booked for the trip to Penang. I have PM'd sunbelt and am awaiting a resonse from them. I can't believe that this is so difficult. I mean, even with everything apparently in order I still don't know whether it will be enough or not. Oh well, all you can do is try and if that doesn't work...try again.

Ginkobulloba,

Just checking you got our p.m. right?

Have a good trip.

One thing I would like to clarify if anyone can help.

On a 'non im 'o' visa, based on having dependants in Thailand. I have been told that a person on this visa can work within a family business. with no WP. however another source has told me that only applies if you are married , which I am not.

No matter if you are married or have dependants, you need a work permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

The real aim is to reduce (at least to control) the total number of foreigners living in Thailand.

While that may be the outcome, I don't think that is the goal. The goal is for everyone to obtain the appropriate type of visa for their situation.

I believe that the OP is correct, that there is a long term plan to lessen the recent trend of Farangs settling in with Thai wives around the country or investing in the country. This situation is percieved by the Bangkok elite as both a long term political and long term economic threat to the status quo, which benefits the existing elite, which remains vey much a Sino-Thai elite. Not wanting to shoot themselves in the foot, the elite will slowly tighten restrictions over time on various types of visas ranging from tourist to business to retirement visas. You want to stay then you must pay.

Although Farang based tourism as been one of the major economic engines for Thailand over the past three decades, the future of tourism, and other economic investment, will be more regional, with tourism from China becoming the major source of tourist money. If oil prices continue the long term sharp upwards trend, then affordable air travel to Asia from North America and Europe will become a thing of the past.

So don't kid yourself about the reasons for the trend towards tightening up visas.

One of the best points made in any of these threads I would say. The folks on married visas living on 20K per month in Issan are the true poverty packing farangs in the country and could very easily be targeted by immi shortly. If I were one of them, I would not be gloating over these new regs as they probably will be next. One thing is for absolute certain, losing those farangs will have zero effect on the Thai economy

You miss my point. As trends continue, losing all you neo-sahib and pseudo-sahib Farangs will have zero effect upon the national economy. In the eyes of the Thai elite, even self-loathing Farangs who look down upon fellow Farangs of lesser financial resources, are held in no more esteem than a "backpacker" is to Mr. Shinawat.

By the way, I have a home in a rural area and when living there I would be hard pressed to spend 20K per month. And in my most humble opinion, 20k per month spent in a small Thai town or village provides more benefits to the Thai nation than 50k spent in the big city on imported goods, entertainment, and at establishments run by the elite where most of the profits very quickly end up offshore.

In the eyes of the Thai elite, even self-loathing Farangs who look down upon fellow Farangs of lesser financial resources, are held in no more esteem than a "backpacker" is to Mr. Shinawat.

Not just the Thai elite .... In the eyes of a great many Thais of varied social standing ... Indeed, many can't even tell the difference!

Its kinda amuing hearing some guys talking about how these cheap charlie farang give farang in Thailand a bad name.... Especially when you listen to the horror movie soundtrack underneath any and all special report about farang in Thailand on Thai TV...

And in my most humble opinion, 20k per month spent in a small Thai town or village provides more benefits to the Thai nation than 50k spent in the big city on imported goods, entertainment, and at establishments run by the elite where most of the profits very quickly end up offshore.

This is a very good point... and one reason why the cheap charlie farang's effect on the Thai economy is much greater than people think... they tend to spend it on local thai food and taxis ... it stays in Thailand and gets recycled to Thais - and lives again in THailand to get taxed and taxed again. (as long as they don't spend it at Tesco!)

The import/domestic spending ratio by the elite is FAR FAR FAR FAR higher than the poor... this is the fatal flaw in trickle down economics, btw. Money doesn't trickle down, it trickles up!

Edited by drummer

I am curious to know this...... if somebody comes in on a

1 year, Non -b, multiple entry visa for working purposes but

does not get a W.P. due to whatever circumstances, does nobody

check the W.P. status at the border on the 90 day run?

Also if it then expires and you wish to extend it, or get a new one,

doesn't Immigration (or an Embassy) check up on your previous

Visa /W.P. status??

I ask this because I read elswhere that gave advice just to go and

get a new one(visa) or extend it but no mention about a W.P.

Visa /W.P. status??

From my experience after my 2nd non-imm B it was written on the visa that I couldn't get another one until I presented my work permit. These were 3 month visas so the situation for a 1-year one could be different.

Visa /W.P. status??

From my experience after my 2nd non-imm B it was written on the visa that I couldn't get another one until I presented my work permit. These were 3 month visas so the situation for a 1-year one could be different.

Border runs with a multiple Non-B are no problem, nobody asks to see the WP, but when you try to get a new visa at an embassy/consulate they certainly would want to see the original WP or, if the WP is under processing with the Labor department (LP) they want to see the original receipt issued by the LP showing that you have applied for a WP or that your WP is 'pending passport' (visa).

opalhort

We were able to contact the Thai Consulate in Peneng Malaysia late in the day regarding the business visa applications. They will be following the more restrictive guidelines as well. In addition, they advised us that their Consulate NO longer will issue DOUBLE entry tourist visas.

:D:D

This is getting very exciting ! So in other words all these people who will now be attempting to get B visas through non existing companies, sorry "not quite ready" companies will also get knocked back ?

Hey, I could make some money out of this !! :D

I have an existing company which can support B visa applications, anyone want to buy a B visa ?

Serious bidders only please by PM ! :D

Jeez people, 4 responses ! I was only joking !! :o