Regional Thai Embassies More Restrictive

Byarwood---go out and return the day BEFORE it expires and you'll get another 90 days. TRY to get them to help you get a WP ... if they don't then you'll be heading somewhere outside of the region for a new non-imm multi

jd is right, and I would be very careful about trying to obtain an extention, as part of the application is to prove you have been working legally, and paid your tax etc. which may not be the case here ;-), better to go home and get a new B visa from Hull.

Sol

But take back to the UK, a letter from the school, invitation/sponser letter, it will be needed.

Edited by solent01

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jdinasia thanks for the super fast reply, however, i have already been outside of thailand twice using the visa and although the visa is valid until january 07 i was of the understanding that you can only use it for a period not totaling 9 months from when you first entered the thailand, however it does clearly state, good for mulitple entry ....could someone please clarify this for me?

Byarwood ... a non-imm Multi allows UNLIMITED entries/exits during that time .... however after the last day ... if you exit you will need a re-entry permit

And not more than 90 days per entry..... But please correct me if I'm wrong, its my understanding that the Re-entry permit only applys if you have an extention to the Visa to start with, as if you leave the Kingdom when you have an extention, but forget the re-entry permit, you automatically loose your visa extention, therefore when you return, you would only get a 30 day tourist entry stamp.

If you already have a Work Permit, and your leaving the Kingdom to renew the B visa, then yes you need a re-entry permit, otherwise the WP becomes void.....

Sol

Edited by solent01

seriously, you think i would be better off going back to the UK before my visa is due to expire in Jan and apply for a new visa there, how about a country in this region Singapore, is this possible or is it just harder?

Up until a few days ago, I would of suggested just that, but right now I'm not so sure (after reading the other post regarding that subject), wish I could be a little more help regarding that.... sorry. At least Hull is very easy provided the expense of the flight is not a problem, and you can provide the required SPONSER letter as I suggested.

Sol

Its a shame these schools don't get thier acts together, they want your skills but don't want to help secure your WP, thats not on in my book......

Have you guys read the OP at all? It deals exactly with what Byarwood is asking about - new paperwork for getting Non Imm B in regional Thai consulates. Ditto for guys who lived here for 20 years - it aint 1989 anymore, rules have changed, apparently, according to the OP. Have you noticed?

I don't know how difficult is it going to be for teachers, they always had some slack in Penang, I believe.

This makes no sense. How is someone supposed to start a company if they are not allowed to legally be in Thailand to start the company. Are they now expected to pay people in Thailand to totally start up the company and once it is up and running, they can then enter Thailand and head their own company. Shouldn't there be a temporary business visa for those just starting their business and then have them get a longer, more permenant visa once the business has been established.

See post from Siam Legal:

'Our ability to assist our Thai visa clients in USA and UK is unaffected by these new stricter guidelines so I highly recommend applying for your Thai Visa in your home country. Don’t leave home without it!'

My prediction is that VERY soon the only place you will get a Multiple Entry 'B' will be in your own consulate in country of origin.

Sorry to day, I agree with the other posts in here, the genuine tourists and the people with genuine businesses in Thailand will have no problems.

It only makes sense that you have to prove your bona fides.

Have you guys read the OP at all? It deals exactly with what Byarwood is asking about - new paperwork for getting Non Imm B in regional Thai consulates. Ditto for guys who lived here for 20 years - it aint 1989 anymore, rules have changed, apparently, according to the OP. Have you noticed?

I don't know how difficult is it going to be for teachers, they always had some slack in Penang, I believe.

Yes of course, but right now we are all suffering from Knee Jerk Reaction, until the dust settles a little we simply don't know what is going on, maybe tomorrow will be different, maybe not, but soon all will become clear. I think we all need to sit back and try to relax, this board has been going crazy the last few days, I've read the posts of some, getting very irrate, theres no need, none of us can at this moment in time say we know all the facts, so until we do, we need to chill.

Sol

Yes your example is correct, however, the time scale envolved is so small (if done correctly), between company formation and work permit application, I don't think its really that much of an issue.

Sol

Edit, sorry misread your post, why did you have to provide company registration to obtain the B visa and when was this? It is IMHO that you do not need to have a company already registered to obtain a B visa......

Sunbelt Asia would shed light on this for you.

Sol

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application.

- (4 x 6 cm) protograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

- Birth Certificate ("O")

- Certifcate of Marriage or its equivalents ("O")

- Transcript / Letter of acceptance from the concerned schools/universities or institutes ("ED")

- Letter from Thailand's Board of Investment. ("IB")

- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour (To obtain this letter, the prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel 02-2452745, 02-2453209 or at a Provincial Employment Office in the respective province. Further information is available at www.doe.go.th/workpermit/index.html) ("B")

- Official Note certifying the purpose of travel from the Government Agencies /Embassies and Consulates / International Organizations / State Enterprises inThailand. ("F" / "B" / "ED" / "M" / "R")

- Letter from a company stating the objective of the visit to Thailand ("B")

- Document showing correspondence with trading partners in Thailand. ("B")

- Letter of invitation from companies qualified to employ foreigners. ("B")

- Employment contract indicating rationale for employing the applicant as well as his/her salary, position and qualifications (document must be signed by authorized managing director and affixed the seal of the company) ("B")

- Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour (only in case the applicant has previously worked in the Kingdom ) ("B")

- Copy of corporate documents; namely 1) list of shareholders 2) business registration and business license 3) company profile 4) details of business operation 5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions 6) map indicating the location of the company 7) Balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year 8) Alien income tax return (Por Ngor Dor 91) and 9) Value-added tax registration (Por Ngor Dor 20) , etc.("B")

- Copy of educational records of the applicant and letters of recommendation from the prior employers, identifying job description and length of service time. ("B")

- Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only) ,or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only)("B")

Info from http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2381.php#Issuance

This deosn't seem to be any different from what they are saying now

I think theys are just simply re-interpreting the - Letter of invitation from companies qualified to employ foreigners. ("B") which (IMHO) was intended for interviews with foreigners with a view to employment.

I had already set up the company so it wasn't hard to give them the documents and because I had one they wanted those documents. If you disregard that section (as in you don't have one yet) then there is little reason to give you a B uless you are coming to work here and have a job offer or are "Trading" with Thai companies (which I doubt setting up a company is included).

Just another instance where people are getting caught out by accepted pratices (like the border runners), not the law.

Yes your example is correct, however, the time scale envolved is so small (if done correctly), between company formation and work permit application, I don't think its really that much of an issue.

Sol

Edit, sorry misread your post, why did you have to provide company registration to obtain the B visa and when was this? It is IMHO that you do not need to have a company already registered to obtain a B visa......

Sunbelt Asia would shed light on this for you.

Sol

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application.

- (4 x 6 cm) protograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

- Birth Certificate ("O")

- Certifcate of Marriage or its equivalents ("O")

- Transcript / Letter of acceptance from the concerned schools/universities or institutes ("ED")

- Letter from Thailand's Board of Investment. ("IB")

- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour (To obtain this letter, the prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel 02-2452745, 02-2453209 or at a Provincial Employment Office in the respective province. Further information is available at www.doe.go.th/workpermit/index.html) ("B")

- Official Note certifying the purpose of travel from the Government Agencies /Embassies and Consulates / International Organizations / State Enterprises inThailand. ("F" / "B" / "ED" / "M" / "R")

- Letter from a company stating the objective of the visit to Thailand ("B")

- Document showing correspondence with trading partners in Thailand. ("B")

- Letter of invitation from companies qualified to employ foreigners. ("B")

- Employment contract indicating rationale for employing the applicant as well as his/her salary, position and qualifications (document must be signed by authorized managing director and affixed the seal of the company) ("B")

- Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour (only in case the applicant has previously worked in the Kingdom ) ("B")

- Copy of corporate documents; namely 1) list of shareholders 2) business registration and business license 3) company profile 4) details of business operation 5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions 6) map indicating the location of the company 7) Balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year 8) Alien income tax return (Por Ngor Dor 91) and 9) Value-added tax registration (Por Ngor Dor 20) , etc.("B")

- Copy of educational records of the applicant and letters of recommendation from the prior employers, identifying job description and length of service time. ("B")

- Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only) ,or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only)("B")

Info from http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2381.php#Issuance

This deosn't seem to be any different from what they are saying now

I think theys are just simply re-interpreting the - Letter of invitation from companies qualified to employ foreigners. ("B") which (IMHO) was intended for interviews with foreigners with a view to employment.

I had already set up the company so it wasn't hard to give them the documents and because I had one they wanted those documents. If you disregard that section (as in you don't have one yet) then there is little reason to give you a B uless you are coming to work here and have a job offer or are "Trading" with Thai companies (which I doubt setting up a company is included).

Just another instance where people are getting caught out by accepted pratices (like the border runners), not the law.

There is no mention about setting up a new company of your own, the only way this can be adhered to is if you are to work for an already registered company, I agree. I came to Thailand with the intent of setting up a company so already had the B on arrival, but I do know of two people who have set up and are now running registered companys, they both came with tourist visas originaly, they both hired the same solicitor however (The same guy I use, thats how I met them).

Sol

Hey

If you actually read the Notes on the Thai Consul Website at Hull, it clearly states that to renew your Non Imm. B Visa, you should return to the country where your Passport was issued in.....IE: Home Country.

I know it may be an inconvenience or an added expense, but, if thats the system, we must adhere to it. If we wish to use the Non Imm. B to enter Thailand, then we need to read and comprehend all the requirements as posted on the various Home Country Consul Websites.

Kind regards

Peter

Are we all over looking one simple thing, Thai immagration already has a system in place, and has always been in place to renew or rather extend a B visa, just apply for a one year visa extention, all you have to do is prove your company is lagit, and more importantly, Thailand is getting thier cut. If we as B holders can't produce the goods, then the message is go home, or leave and re-enter as a tourist, and comply to the rules that imposses, hate to be brutal about it, but thats the writing on the wall, anyone agree?

highly interesting, tks for this detailed post.

I'm amazed at the efficiency of those authorities.

changing a policy consistently and within days - chapeau.

Questions for janone. What does "Totally Kinetic Superfluosity", or tks as you put it, have to do with anything why is one's hat (chapeau) so important.

jdinasia thanks for the super fast reply, however, i have already been outside of thailand twice using the visa and although the visa is valid until january 07 i was of the understanding that you can only use it for a period not totaling 9 months from when you first entered the thailand, however it does clearly state, good for mulitple entry ....could someone please clarify this for me?

The use of the "shift" key on your keyboard considerably helps in the understanding of your missive.

:o

Hi, We intend to retire to Thailand, can some nice soul tell us how, now, a retirement visa works and how far in advance can we get one.

Do we have to use it in a certain period or something like that.

We have noticed that Siam Legal are on Koh Samui, our chosen haven, so we will be wanting to talk to you.

Many thanks for all replies and info given in ernest.

Sue and John

Hi, We intend to retire to Thailand, can some nice soul tell us how, now, a retirement visa works and how far in advance can we get one.

We have noticed that Siam Legal are on Koh Samui, our chosen haven, so we will be wanting to talk to you.

Sue and John

If your who I think you guys are, see you at the end of the month, and if I'm correct you are in England so follow this link. :D

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

These people will help you out.

Woody (young)

Sue and John

Hi Woody,

I think you have us mis placed, but never mind and thanks for consulate link

Sue and John

Now that the visa requirements are scheduled to be more restrictive inside Thailand starting October 1, we are beginning to see the changes in the regional Thai Embassies and Consulates for business visa application requirements.

We sent our client to the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with the proper documents to apply for a non-immigrant business visa for 90 days. Now the Thai Embassy in KL is requiring a certified copy of the business registration documents for his Thai Limited Company BEFORE issuing the business visa. We are in the process of setting up his Thai company for him in Bangkok. Previously, we had provided our own company documents as the sponsor for securing the non-immigrant business visa for 90 days. Typically, the client will go outside to Malaysia to obtain a non-immigrant business visa (if they don't already have one) in order to apply for the work permit.

Our staff made calls today to the Thai Embassies in KL, Phnom Penh (Cambodia) and Vientiane (Lao), and the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong. The visa officers in each Embassy/Consulate verified that the Managing Director of that company must be the person signing the "guarantee" letter requesting the visa, a detailed description of job in that company and that all company documents (every last one of them) must be included with the application. This is a significant change and more restrictive from the previous requirements. By the way, we attempted to contact the Thai Consulate in Peneng but the telephone was engaged all day long. Remember that the information given out by the visa officer at one particular Thai Embassy or Consulate can vary greatly from another.

If you are interested in starting a business in Thailand it is still possible to obtain the non-immigrant business visa in a nearby Thai Embassy/Consulate, however, the company must be registered first and the Thai visa application comes after. Our ability to assist our Thai visa clients in USA and UK is unaffected by these new stricter guidelines so I highly recommend applying for your Thai Visa in your home country. Don’t leave home without it!

Dennis Ramm

www.siam-legal.com

Interesting note: We counted the telephone calls to our 7 offices (Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Samui, Hua Hin, Pattaya, and Jomtien) on Wednesday this week. We received 179 calls asking about the new visa regulations.

The real aim is to reduce (at least to control) the total number of foreigners living in Thailand.

While that may be the outcome, I don't think that is the goal. The goal is for everyone to obtain the appropriate type of visa for their situation.

I believe that the OP is correct, that there is a long term plan to lessen the recent trend of Farangs settling in with Thai wives around the country or investing in the country. This situation is percieved by the Bangkok elite as both a long term political and long term economic threat to the status quo, which benefits the existing elite, which remains vey much a Sino-Thai elite. Not wanting to shoot themselves in the foot, the elite will slowly tighten restrictions over time on various types of visas ranging from tourist to business to retirement visas. You want to stay then you must pay.

Although Farang based tourism as been one of the major economic engines for Thailand over the past three decades, the future of tourism, and other economic investment, will be more regional, with tourism from China becoming the major source of tourist money. If oil prices continue the long term sharp upwards trend, then affordable air travel to Asia from North America and Europe will become a thing of the past.

So don't kid yourself about the reasons for the trend towards tightening up visas.

The real aim is to reduce (at least to control) the total number of foreigners living in Thailand.

While that may be the outcome, I don't think that is the goal. The goal is for everyone to obtain the appropriate type of visa for their situation.

Yeah well, take the "retirement extension" if you have less than 800k/year to spent we don't want you here. Imagine the border runner (teachers included) who have less than 30k/month.

What if you come over for a one day business meeting and you do NOT have the corresponding visa? Time to spend in IDC?

I have a retirement visa and built a 2 million house to live in (gift to the gf, since I can not own the place and the money spent can not be used towards obtention of any type of visa) What if next year they want to see 1.5 million retirement income? I will leave the house to the gf. By by LOS (I do have a plan B and C)

Byarwood---go out and return the day BEFORE it expires and you'll get another 90 days. TRY to get them to help you get a WP ... if they don't then you'll be heading somewhere outside of the region for a new non-imm multi

seems to me that anyone with 2-3 multiple 90 days or 60 days visa will roll out of their computer as likely working and even more likely not having a workpermit......

Especially if you stay the full 90 days and again thats in the computer.

In short whats mentioned above means that these schools have to be educated as otherwise they will be short of a LOT of teachers.... (and others)

I think anyway that the real reason for these changes is that damned American who had himself exported to the USA first class by Thailand and made them lets say look not extreemly smart... and that because the USA police was so quick to get him. Thais think they got a good catch and then that DNA test proves otherwise. Also not the right way to get cooperation in future...

By the way I met years ago a lady from Germany who was training 6 months per year young parrots to speak in Indonesia for zoo's. Other 6 months she had vacation in Phuket as there were no young birds to train.

I still remember the taxclearance ladies laughing about that job.

Next customer was a non working large guesthouse owner who didnt have any income...

This whole situation will have a large impact on barowners. But those with existing legal business and doing property devlopment and brokerage work likely will have no problem with the illegal work part. Like those who are retired and do some work on the side...

Multiple visum is either real multi (ie no limit) or multi x-times entry.

final date to make use of last entry is the one mentioned on the visum and note, it likely says it has to be used BEFORE that date (I havent got my passport here, it rains hard.)

That final date always has be checked as they once gave me a tripple, to expire in 3 months....

Hey

If you actually read the Notes on the Thai Consul Website at Hull, it clearly states that to renew your Non Imm. B Visa, you should return to the country where your Passport was issued in.....IE: Home Country.

I know it may be an inconvenience or an added expense, but, if thats the system, we must adhere to it. If we wish to use the Non Imm. B to enter Thailand, then we need to read and comprehend all the requirements as posted on the various Home Country Consul Websites.

Kind regards

Peter

I have never used them but as far as I know, in the past they required that you once had in person to get a visum in Hull, after that it could be done by mail... Again this may have changed...

Once again, it's not a surprise.

The "visa run" issue (30 days visa exemption) is actually a much more large one...

A crack down on visa runers means to be more restrictive on tourist visas, business visas etc.

Next step : we will have new conditions for mariage and retirement visas.

This is why the official explaination of the crack down ("fight against people who are working without WP") is only the peak of the iceberg.

Thailand should be renames LOC, Land of the Catch 22. anyway, I agree that there will be crackdowns on other visa types to come. All these people comfortable now in their visa situations and screaming for others to get out of the country will be going wild as their time comes. Some smart people see the light that the new regs are a bad thing, others will find out later when they are asked by immi to bend over

Here is a senario that is not covered well: people who come into Thailand to work on a project (typically up to three months). I do alot of these projects all over the world. Most countries understand this and will allow you in on the basis of 'business' (tick the reason for visiting as 'business'). However, in Thailand you would be clearly breaking the law. I mean working on a short term project when you are paid in your home country...

Exactly. I am a writer working on a book about Thailand. I have artist friends here doing photo projects, painting projects, and even sculpting. We are all happy to be here, contribute to the country, and would like to hang out legally, pay an necessary fees, as well as spend our incomes from abroad while we stayhere. In many cases our period of temporary work here may be 3 months, or could be a couple years. Why is there not a recognition of this by the Immigration Board ? Many Farang are here to learn about and contribute to Thai society. Further our projects will go to the good of the country as far as PR. We are an asset to the country and should have an easy (or any) way to live here and do our businees.

I'll go one further...far-fetched, but it would be a pleasure to couple my skills with any appropriate government office or public institution here that could use my skills on a part time or project basis in order to 'earn' a Business Visa, or even 'Expert Visa.' If the channels were there, no problem !

I believe that the OP is correct, that there is a long term plan to lessen the recent trend of Farangs settling in with Thai wives around the country or investing in the country. This situation is percieved by the Bangkok elite as both a long term political and long term economic threat to the status quo, which benefits the existing elite, which remains vey much a Sino-Thai elite. Not wanting to shoot themselves in the foot, the elite will slowly tighten restrictions over time on various types of visas ranging from tourist to business to retirement visas. You want to stay then you must pay.

Although Farang based tourism as been one of the major economic engines for Thailand over the past three decades, the future of tourism, and other economic investment, will be more regional, with tourism from China becoming the major source of tourist money. If oil prices continue the long term sharp upwards trend, then affordable air travel to Asia from North America and Europe will become a thing of the past.

So don't kid yourself about the reasons for the trend towards tightening up visas.

One of the best points made in any of these threads I would say. The folks on married visas living on 20K per month in Issan are the true poverty packing farangs in the country and could very easily be targeted by immi shortly. If I were one of them, I would not be gloating over these new regs as they probably will be next. One thing is for absolute certain, losing those farangs will have zero effect on the Thai economy

Common sense would say that it shoudl be allowed and you don't need a visa?

This is Thailand. Common sense doesn't apply here :o

The Thai language makes no provision for the concept of "common sense". It does not translate. There are no Thai words that mean "common sense".

Exactly.... have struggled in Thai to explain 'context,' and 'logical' as well. the definitions of such concepts in Thai are loooooong and involved as there are no exact words for it. These words, known by savvy business people are usually borrowed from English straight into Thai.

If only speaking Thai could get me a B Visa ! (to show my committment to the country, as well as staying on topic)

One of the best points made in any of these threads I would say. The folks on married visas living on 20K per month in Issan are the true poverty packing farangs in the country and could very easily be targeted by immi shortly. If I were one of them, I would not be gloating over these new regs as they probably will be next. One thing is for absolute certain, losing those farangs will have zero effect on the Thai economy

Okay, I am a foreigner who is married to a Thai National, I have adopted her 6 year old daughter from a previous marriange and we have a 3 month old boy together. I have been exporting products to a family biz in Oz for the past 5 years although China has taken over the market now back home and the Thai Products are too expensive, hence we are closing operations down. Over the past 5 years I have average around 130k Oz every year into this economy. I still recieve an income from home of around 55k a month ( just under the required amount) .

I leave for KL on Tuesday to apply for a Marriage Visa. Was hoping to get a ONE YEAR MULTIPLE ENTRY but folks are telling me they are not giving these now. My question is what do I get , is it a one month marriage visa or a 3 month one? and if I dont have 400k in the bank and only recieve 55k a month will I be asked to leave?

If they only keep giving me a one month marriage visa does this mean that I have to fly to KL every month for a visa to stay with my family? Keen for any answers.