Thai driver's license expired, what to do?

Nayet

You just get a letter from your hotel that you stay there and that can be used as prof of residence. By law you can not drive motorcycle with a car license anywhere in the world and there is not exception for American car license in Thailand. As long as they do not understand that it is not a motorcycle license you are safe and max if they do you pay some fine. But if you have an accident and someone die or get seriously injured then the whole situation changes.

To the best of my knowledge and experience you can renew your licence on any visa (certainly in Chiang Mai anyway).

The problem you may have will likely be with proof of address, if you do not have a yellow book then the most usual proof of address is a paper from immigration or a letter from your embassy/consulate. Clearly the paper from immigration is not going to happen if you are on a Tourist visa, but I'd check and see of you can get a letter from consulate, as a British citizen that's always been an option for me.

I agree. That is the rub in trying to get a Thai driving license with a tourist visa. As both you and the OP said, Thai immigration, or a foreign embassy, aren't going to give you a proof of residence certificate when on a tourist visa. You could also use a work permit as proof of address if you had one in lieu of the yellow book. But the problem is if you are on a tourist visa you wouldn't have a work permit and very unlikely you would have a yellow book either.
I have had many "proof of evidence" certificates from Pattaya immgration. To buy my bike and to get and renew the driver's licence (several times), all on 30-day visa exempt stamps.

Define tourist?

A tourist Visa gives a stay of 60 days + a 30 day extension available from Immigration.

You can drive a motorcycle or car in Thailand using either your home Country Licence under the Geneva Convention (unlimited) or an IDP for the duration of it's validity.

The problem is almost all Insurance companies will only insure you for a maximum of 3 months driving on a foreign licence or IDP in Thailand.

If you intend spending more than 90 days in Thailand, then your really not a Tourist and should consider getting yourself the correct Visa and Thai driving Licence. My guess is that some are trying to circumvent the system because they don't have the necessary funding to get the correct Visa in the first place.

If you truly are a Tourist spending less than 90 days in Thailand then what's the problem?

I was told last week in no uncertain terms by Sriracha Immi office that they would definitely issue me with a "residence" letter for licence renewal.Admittedly they do know me fairly well there and I do own my condo.As someone mentioned earlier, go to the Licence office and get them to list all docs you need; also make sure you do drive licensed; you have a "brush" somewhere and you could be up s..t creek without a paddle as far as cops and insurance company are concerned.

I am renewing my drivers license at the moment. In addition to the eye exam (color test and peripheral vision) and the two reaction tests, you now have to sit through a 1 hour safety video which is all spoken in Thai. Half of it has English subtitles and the other half doesn't. The video is a new requirement.

Also, if you do it at the Chatuchak branch of department of land transport, there is a medical clinic on the corner of the first Soi on Phaholoythin Road just past the entrance to the department of land transport where they charge only 70 Baht for a medical certificate and takes only 10 minutes. Oddly enough, they didn't keep the doctors certificate when I submitted my documents to them. They didn't even look at it. Not sure why. Maybe they forgot to take it from me.

The only documents they wanted was the copy of my passport and the copy of my yellow book and my expiring driving license.

Also, remember that the office closes 1 hour for lunch from 12:00 to 13:00.

pretty sure you can go with anyone who has a thai residence and their IDs to the police station to get a residence certificate from them

they charged me 1000 baht last year, I needed one to sell my motorbike

didn't even live with the guy, he signed some paper and they photocopied his ID, paid 1000 baht and off.

either way, I am on tourist visa and never had any problems getting the residence paperwork before, I needed it to get my drivers license, to buy a motorbike (twice), to sell the first motorbike too. so I got that sorted out 4 times in 2 years already and always been on tourist visas. never went to the embassy.

Archived