Thai driver's license expired, what to do?

Nayet

I can't (as far as I am aware) renew my Thai driver's license as I am now on a tourist visa and can't get proof of address from the immigration authority. I've seen these ads for international driver's licenses. Would that do me any good if I have to show my license to a Thai police officer? I still have my US license, but it is for automobiles. Is there a legal way for me to keep riding in Thailand?

Get a USA motorcycle license and convert it to an international motorcycle driving license. Otherwise I don't see any other legal options. You can drive legally in Thailand with an expired Thai drivers license for a period of time. Maybe 30 days or maybe longer. I can't remember though.

I know a guy who has been driving a motorcycle in Bangkok for 10 years without a locally acceptable driving license of any sort. Gets pulled over quite often he says since he drives around the city center during the day and passes by many of the regular tea money drop off points. He just pays his 200 Baht when he gets stopped and has never had a problem. That's not how I roll, but some people do it that way it seems. The biggest risk is if you slam into someone's car who has either money, and expensive car, influence or all 3. Then if you are driving illegally, without a license, and causing accidents, I can imagine things could go pear shaped pretty quickly. Better to drive fully legally with a proper license and on a bike that is legally registered with its annual insurance and tax disc up to date.

Yes, you can get a 1 year provisional license on a tourist visa.

These stupid international licenses you see advertised are fraudulent as far as I'm concerned. There are only two agencies in the US authorized by the US State department to issue an IDP and neither one of them advertise...research it. As an Admin on this board pointed out, if you look for it hard enough, you can find a disclaimer that basically says their license is not really good for anything, though it might fool a Thai policeman. Also, an IDP is only good for one year so if you see anything other than that then that is a clear indication it is not real.

Given your specifics, there is no way you can drive legally here unless you get a Thai license. When it comes to the bike all you have to do is take the driving test and probably the written as well as well as the coordination and eye tests.

You can make up a contract and take it to immigration for your "resident certificate".

You CAN get proof of residence on a tourist visa, well in Pattaya away, don't know where you are.

Just got one 4-5 weeks ago on my tourist visa. You will need some sort of standard landlord contract or just fabricate one in Thai through a friend or so

I know a guy who has been driving a motorcycle in Bangkok for 10 years without a locally acceptable driving license of any sort. Gets pulled over quite often he says since he drives around the city center during the day and passes by many of the regular tea money drop off points. He just pays his 200 Baht when he gets stopped and has never had a problem. That's not how I roll, but some people do it that way it seems. The biggest risk is if you slam into someone's car who has either money, and expensive car, influence or all 3. Then if you are driving illegally, without a license, and causing accidents, I can imagine things could go pear shaped pretty quickly. Better to drive fully legally with a proper license and on a bike that is legally registered with its annual insurance and tax disc up to date.

So What? Not very helpful when taken in context with the question posted.

Get a USA motorcycle license and convert it to an international motorcycle driving license. Otherwise I don't see any other legal options. You can drive legally in Thailand with an expired Thai drivers license for a period of time. Maybe 30 days or maybe longer. I can't remember though.

The is no such things as an International Motorcycle License it is only a permit or in other words a translation of your normal license.

To the best of my knowledge and experience you can renew your licence on any visa (certainly in Chiang Mai anyway).

The problem you may have will likely be with proof of address, if you do not have a yellow book then the most usual proof of address is a paper from immigration or a letter from your embassy/consulate. Clearly the paper from immigration is not going to happen if you are on a Tourist visa, but I'd check and see of you can get a letter from consulate, as a British citizen that's always been an option for me.

It's all about location and discretion when dealing with Transport Offices.

The temporary 1 year licence has been replaced by a 2 year licence.

Some offices will require you to sit the full driving test again if you let your old licence expire.

Some will insist you must be on a Non 0 Visa or Extension to issue a licence.

The only way to find out is to visit your local Transport office and ask them what the requirements are.

They are the one's you'll have to deal with anyway regardless of what members may suggest.

To the best of my knowledge and experience you can renew your licence on any visa (certainly in Chiang Mai anyway).

The problem you may have will likely be with proof of address, if you do not have a yellow book then the most usual proof of address is a paper from immigration or a letter from your embassy/consulate. Clearly the paper from immigration is not going to happen if you are on a Tourist visa, but I'd check and see of you can get a letter from consulate, as a British citizen that's always been an option for me.

I agree. That is the rub in trying to get a Thai driving license with a tourist visa. As both you and the OP said, Thai immigration, or a foreign embassy, aren't going to give you a proof of residence certificate when on a tourist visa. You could also use a work permit as proof of address if you had one in lieu of the yellow book. But the problem is if you are on a tourist visa you wouldn't have a work permit and very unlikely you would have a yellow book either.

The is no such things as an International Motorcycle License it is only a permit or in other words a translation of your normal license.

Whether it is officially called a "license" or a "permit" doesn't really matter. What does matter is that you get one of these temporary 1 year license/permits from your overseas country so you can legally drive outside your country with your foreign license. It is that which is also needed to have in you possession in order to be able to convert your foreign driving license into a local Thai license and avoid having to take a written test and a driving test. Without it you are going to need to take both tests.

Also, this is what you need from your home country to be able to rent a car overseas. In fact, the department of land transport also issues them if you want one to people holding a Thai driving license so that you can go overseas with Thai driving license to rent a car as well.

I don't know why people are arguing about this temporary international license/permit not being real, being only temporary, etc.

None of that matters. What does matter is that's what the department of land transport requires you have if you are a foreigner who wants to be issued a Thai driving license and wants to be able to avoid taking the written test and the driving test.

But if you can't prove your residence address in Thailand somehow then it is moot. Even with a valid international driving license/permit, you can't get a Thai license anyway.

It is possible to get a Proof of Residence from the British Consulate and then you can get a 1 year Thai driving license.

I used a local support company to help with the process and it worked well. Contact bangkokvisitors.com

Yes, you can get a 1 year provisional license on a tourist visa.

These stupid international licenses you see advertised are fraudulent as far as I'm concerned. There are only two agencies in the US authorized by the US State department to issue an IDP and neither one of them advertise...research it. As an Admin on this board pointed out, if you look for it hard enough, you can find a disclaimer that basically says their license is not really good for anything, though it might fool a Thai policeman. Also, an IDP is only good for one year so if you see anything other than that then that is a clear indication it is not real.

Given your specifics, there is no way you can drive legally here unless you get a Thai license. When it comes to the bike all you have to do is take the driving test and probably the written as well as well as the coordination and eye tests.

You can make up a contract and take it to immigration for your "resident certificate".

Don't try this. When my son came to visit for 50 days, I had my realtor renew my lease with my son's name on it, so he could get a DL. When he gave this to Immigration for permission to obtain a DL, they first called the landlord to see if it was real. They are fully aware of fake leases. You will get caught.

Try taking a business card or even better, a letter signed and stamped by the hotel/guesthouse you're staying at to Immigration for their required letter. Business card, 500 baht, and an hour of my time is all I needed last year. If they say no, you are no worse off than you are now. Remember to wear long trousers and collar shirt for license test/renewal. Probably couldn't hurt at Immigration either....

It is possible to get a Proof of Residence from the British Consulate and then you can get a 1 year Thai driving license.

I used a local support company to help with the process and it worked well. Contact bangkokvisitors.com

I agree that it's never been a problem at a British Consulate, however the OP is from the USA.

Whether it is officially called a "license" or a "permit" doesn't really matter. What does matter is that you get one of these temporary 1 year license/permits from your overseas country so you can legally drive outside your country with your foreign license. It is that which is also needed to have in you possession in order to be able to convert your foreign driving license into a local Thai license and avoid having to take a written test and a driving test. Without it you are going to need to take both tests.

Also, this is what you need from your home country to be able to rent a car overseas. In fact, the department of land transport also issues them if you want one to people holding a Thai driving license so that you can go overseas with Thai driving license to rent a car as well.

I don't know why people are arguing about this temporary international license/permit not being real, being only temporary, etc.

None of that matters. What does matter is that's what the department of land transport requires you have if you are a foreigner who wants to be issued a Thai driving license and wants to be able to avoid taking the written test and the driving test.

But if you can't prove your residence address in Thailand somehow then it is moot. Even with a valid international driving license/permit, you can't get a Thai license anyway.

When I needed a Thai Driving license, my home one being unusable as I was away from my residence for more than 3 months and it was cancelled, I showed a translation of my original cancelled license which was totally acceptable. What they did say was the the IDP was not considered or needed to get a Thai License. Taking the test etc. is optional depending upon how they, the driving centre, felt on the day.

Last week I got a resident certificate on a 30 day "Visa" on arrival from Jomtien / Pattaya Immigration, I then renewed my Thai bike licence and bought a new bike no problems!

I agree that it's never been a problem at a British Consulate, however the OP is from the USA.

But if you are in the north that won't be so easy anymore either if your British since I think the British Consulate in Chiang Mai has closed or will be closing down.

I hereby present to you Exhibit "A". This was given to me personally by the Department Of Land Transport. I hope we can now stop all of this conjecture about what is and isn't acceptable to get a Thai driving license.

post-170983-0-79194800-1434440331_thumb.

I just wanted to add that yes, and I want to correct myself on what I said before, you can use a certified copy of a local driving license from your home country to get a Thai driving license if you get a certified translation of it into Thai or English from your Embassy, but it must not be expired. Also, as you can see, despite people saying that international driving licenses are only really permits and not licenses is just semantics. The Department of Land Transport still refers to it as an "International Driving License" even though it really is technically a permit which expires after one year. And yes, in the USA, they do refer to it as an international driving permit and not a license, but regardless, this is the thing that the Department Of Land Transport refers to as an "International Driving License" and the document that they want you to possess in order to get a Thai driving license:

https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html

Meny tips here. IDP is for onley 3 month in Thailand.

Go to Imigation end tell them for Cert of residens, take your old Thai driving licence end, IDP go to Traffic office.Tell them you whant licence for car end motorbike, small test end you get new licence for 500 tbh.

Some of the Traffice office are different, same Immigratin office.

Go end check end the tell you what the nid.

No driving licence no insurens

Sorry my engl.

Archived