Facebook Clip and comments anger North Pattaya Seafood Vendor

webfact

Facebook Clip and comments anger North Pattaya Seafood Vendor

food-2.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A Seafood vendor based in North Pattaya was shocked to see a video clip posted on Facebook which claimed she was spraying her seafood with insect repellant and potentially poisoning customers when in fact she was spraying the food with an FDA approved oil which reduces the smell of the seafood.

On Saturday the 12 second clip was posted on Facebook and straight away hundreds of comments in Thai language were posted by people showing their disapproval and warning people not to eat at the restaurant located opposite the Grand Sole Hotel at the Northern end of Pattaya Second Road.

On Sunday we confronted the vendor to see if the comments were justified and the owner of the food stall, Khun Sombong aged 44, was more than happy to show us what she was using to spray the food.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/200156/facebook-clip-and-comments-anger-north-pattaya-seafood-vendor/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-06-15

Insect spray would have a very detectable smell and no one would eat the food. An oil based spray would have very little to no smell and would be harmless.

The owner should sue the Facebook poster.

Not quite right.

Some inspect repellents are odourless and work by masking pheromones rather than odours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub5m3HMYFQc

According to the Thai press when asked she said it was Crisco cooking spray. On Sunday when reporters from the Thai Daily News went down to her stall in Pataya Tai to find her she hadn't turned up because of bad publicity from the story breaking in the press. Another nearby vendor said she thought it was citronella spray the woman had been using. This is a natural insect repellent obtained from lemon grass but I'm not sure it should be used on food and would have a distinctive smell too.

I use citronella spray myself on my skin to avoid mosquitos , but I know that there is a warning on the bottle that it may be harmful to digest . ...

So be warned, I would never buy fish from an outdoor market anyway ,

Insect spray would have a very detectable smell and no one would eat the food. An oil based spray would have very little to no smell and would be harmless.

The owner should sue the Facebook poster.

Perhaps she should ensure that the seafood she sells is fresh enough not to need it's odour reduced.