Tukom monthly specials

BlackJack

Yesterday I went to Tukom to get a IP camera on special

found the place to buy them

asked the guy if he had stock

yes mister (1)

but you have to spend 150 baht in one of the shops bring the receipt back and pay and I give you camera (2)

I give you receipt from Starbucks and you give me camera

yes mister (3)

I go to Starbucks

get receipt

go back

hand it to him

Fill you name passport number and telephone - what for?

you want camera

we want passport number

if I give you passport number then you give me camera? (4)

yes mister

do you have stock here (5)

yes mister

so i filled in my name number passport and phone number

then he entered into a computer

I handed him 1000 baht and he said

sorry mister

no have camera

I thought I was in Nigeria getting my identity stolen

I said I asked you 6 times if you had camera and stock and you said yes

now no have but you have all my info so take it off the computer and I scratched out what I had written on their forms.

So what kind of scam is this?

why do they want you name address passport number and signature?

Its not for the warrantee!!

Same kind of thing happened in our estate but was to do with the free government Digital TV coupons

the bloke collected ID card and house registration documents with signitures from loads of people including my wifes promissing that soon he would deliver coupon and set top box ( special price ) ( urrmm thought it was free ) ...few weeks later

said there was "a problem" ( never found out what problem ) never to be seen again.

What happened to all that identity info ????????

I haven't seen any reason to shop at Tukcom for a couple of years now. Nothing but trouble there. It's miserable place to find moto parking, it's difficult to thread your way around the floors, narrow or non-existent or blocked emergency exits, prices are higher than in Bangkok, and I (and my GF separately) have been ripped off by phone/electronics sellers. Go to Big C/PowerBuy/Lotus. Same product and fairly decent service.

Next time ask him to check on his computer that it's in stock , or don't mention the special , just ask to see the camera first , then you will ask him to get the special deal on it . If it's still a scam take a picture of him and his shop and spread the news on all the social thai networks.

Edited by balo

I don't understand why someone should hand out voluntarily his passport number. Such informations are only for officials and not for dodgy vendors. There is a market for copy's of passport. Guess for what...

But as always, Up to you guys.

I haven't seen any reason to shop at Tukcom for a couple of years now. Nothing but trouble there.//

I can't understand this kind of bad comment using generalisation sad.png. There must be 200+ shops in Tukcom! Some of them are genuine good official shops with usually good sell service and good after-sale service smile.png

Many other are similar to all this very small "bazar" shop you find everywhere in Pattaya. They will try to sell you the last Samsung or iPhone for less than 5'000 baht rolleyes.gif but don't count on a support for a product that will quickly need one ! wink.png

On products I bought the difference of price with Pantip Bangkok - if any - was very small and don't worth the hassle of a trip to Bangkok. BTW better to buy local if ever you need the warranty.

Many good shop & sellers in Tukcom, and I really hope many of them will stay here when the other Tukcom will open.

I haven't seen any reason to shop at Tukcom for a couple of years now. Nothing but trouble there.//

I can't understand this kind of bad comment using generalisation sad.png. There must be 200+ shops in Tukcom! Some of them are genuine good official shops with usually good sell service and good after-sale service smile.png

Many other are similar to all this very small "bazar" shop you find everywhere in Pattaya. They will try to sell you the last Samsung or iPhone for less than 5'000 baht rolleyes.gif but don't count on a support for a product that will quickly need one ! wink.png

On products I bought the difference of price with Pantip Bangkok - if any - was very small and don't worth the hassle of a trip to Bangkok. BTW better to buy local if ever you need the warranty.

Many good shop & sellers in Tukcom, and I really hope many of them will stay here when the other Tukcom will open.

You're supporting my point, actually. I agree, it's better to buy from shops with good after-sales service. All those quality shops (Jaymart, iStudio etc.) in Tukcom are elsewhere too, in more comfortable and safer conditions such as Central Festival and some Big C malls, with parking. But my view remains the same: Many people reported personally to me and on forums their bad experiences at Tukcom. The problem there is, you don't know until afterward whether you got a good product and faithful service. I've had both at the kiosk shops on the second level of Big C Extra. I speculate that the shops at Big C or whatever mall are under more scrutiny because the Big C's have to protect their reputation and won't brook shoddy practices. I don't need Tukcom.

I like to go to Bangkok on one-night trips (most of my friends live and work there) because I can go to Fortune Town, an equally pleasant shopping experience, and MBK. In my past experience at both retail institutions, items were cheaper than Tukcom, sometimes by thousands of baht.

The other Tukcom seems to carry the name Harbor Mall. Based on the one big signboard on Klang with some brand names painted in, it does look like a Tukcom kind of place.