Where to Get A Good Value "Full English" Breakfast

anon467848

I was in town this morning so I thought that I would try Archers, unfortunately it's closed on a Monday. I decided to go to the UN Irish as it's nearby and ordered the "big breakfast". What a rip-off, 195 baht, for coffee, 2 eggs, fried potatoes, bacon and 1 sausage, the only good point was the toast.

I noticed on the way back to my car that the Chiang Mai Saloon and Bamboo Bar had breakfasts for 120/130 baht, anybody eaten there?

Any other recommendations apart from Archers, Mad Dog, Sausage King (expensive for what you get) ????

Cheers wai2.gif

Edited by merlin2002

Yeah.. the Irish Pub seems intent on joining the league of places living on past fame.. They were really good back in the day, when Chiang Mai had very few Western food options.

However these places don't really improve, where the whole world around them DOES improve. Especially if you don't visit in a while, and have your memories of it being a very good place to go, the disappointment can be particularly striking.

Yeah.. the Irish Pub seems intent on joining the league of places living on past fame.. They were really good back in the day, when Chiang Mai had very few Western food options.

However these places don't really improve, where the whole world around them DOES improve. Especially if you don't visit in a while, and have your memories of it being a very good place to go, the disappointment can be particularly striking.

Winnie as you correctly say a few years ago they used to do a good breakfast, that's why I went there today.. I had to go next door to their bakery to get a pie as I was still hungry.rolleyes.gif

Bit too far from the centre of town--but,,, The Game in Hang Dong do some very good breakfast deals--and the coffee is endless.

In fact--if you order the English or American breakfasts you can do an add-on of french Toast for an extra 40 baht--so, less than 150 baht for either and more than you can eat.

Archers is my favorite British breakfast. They use good quality ingredients and the price is reasonable.

I'm totally stuffed when I order the Canadian breakfast at the Wild Boar. The bacon and fried potatoes are some of the best in town. My only complaint is they use very low quality bread. It is 150 baht for 3 pieces of American bacon and fried potatoes with 2 eggs, toast and coffee. I'm guessing the full English is really good, but I have never tried it.

I agree that the Irish Pub is pricey for what you get. IMO, the food is a little better than mediocre and there is no air-con. There are a lot of much cheaper places around offering that quality of food.

Sausage king is good if you live out Sansai way .B125 is the price ,for enough to fill me at least.Large mug of tea included ;-)

Was 99bht at the start of this year.

That's a 25% price rise ........... thanks for tipping me off, I won't go there again.

(this year eggs cheaper, fuel cheaper, price up 25% ?????)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Sausage king is good if you live out Sansai way .B125 is the price ,for enough to fill me at least.Large mug of tea included ;-)

That's a 25% price rise ........... thanks for tipping me off, I won't go there again.

99B for a good breakfast with proper sausage and bacon with a mug of tea was ridiculously cheap, and at 125b it is reduced to being just plain old very cheap. What the price of eggs is, is irrelevant. There is a lot more to the cost of a meal at a restaurant than the cost of ingredients, which anyone with any amount of sense would know. But then again, this is Thaivisa.

I can only assume that you are either on a very tight budget or, more likely, another fully-paid up member of the Cheap Charlie Brigade (Chiang Mai branch).

Wow

Last of the international playboys

Sausage King for me, nice breakfast inc black pudding , then stock up with goodies from his shop, black pudding, sausages, hams , ready meals , mini pork pies, then to cap it off a pack of crumpets for my tea.Lovely. In fact Rob should be awarded an MBE for his services to the British overseas community.

Well it had been B99 for the last 3 years or so .I doubt if they were making a profit at that price .It was more like something to draw people in to a newly established Garden restaurant.

He has nearly completed an A/C room ,and the price will still be B125 in there.

P.S,.....For a man like yourself on a tight budget ,you might be interested in the small basic breakfast for B89 at Kellys ,Meechok Plaza.Quite good and includes a tea or Coffee.

Edited by anto

99B for a good breakfast with proper sausage and bacon with a mug of tea was ridiculously cheap, and at 125b it is reduced to being just plain old very cheap. What the price of eggs is, is irrelevant. There is a lot more to the cost of a meal at a restaurant than the cost of ingredients, which anyone with any amount of sense would know. But then again, this is Thaivisa.

I can only assume that you are either on a very tight budget or, more likely, another fully-paid up member of the Cheap Charlie Brigade (Chiang Mai branch).

I'm not helpless, so can cook my own breakfast at home.

If the ingredients only cost 25bht, why throw away another 100bht to eat in somebodies garden shed.

Plenty of Thai restaurants to eat at for 40-60bht with terrific ambiance, waterfalls, fish ponds, etc.

If you're at SanSai try this place ........... Kanom Sen Baan Suan ........ 18.822402N 99.035210E (Just off the old 1001)

Old teakwood tables, two big waterfalls, large fish pond inside with Koi carp, great ambiance, food 60bht.

post-233622-0-83619800-1434433170_thumb.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Mr King needs an extra mark up to able to afford to eat out at his favourite place......UN Irish

If the ingredients only cost 25bht, why throw away another 100bht to eat in somebodies garden shed.

Plenty of Thai restaurants to eat at for 40-60bht with terrific ambiance, waterfalls, fish ponds, etc.

The topic is Full English Breakfast, not Bowl of water with a couple of pieces of lettuce, a few beanshoots and a couple of dodgy 'meat balls'. It was also about eating out, not cooking it yourself at home, or limiting the budget to 60B. Thanks for clarifying my suspicions.

For those not familiar with the term, a Cheap Charlie isn't merely a person that is frugal or someone that seeks out a bargain, they are also totally irrational and apt to making ridiculous comparisons, like comparing a noodle stall's prices with those of a decent restaurant, commenting on the price of ingredients as if that is all a restaurant meal costs are, comparing the price of tiny Thai dishes with Full English Breakfast, looking down on anyone that spends more than 100B on a meal, thinking that they are fools, and most importantly, embarrassing themselves, their partners, and their friends with their miserly, miserable ways.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

What a great thread!

Can someone help me with my weekly weekend problem

Every Saturday morning I wake up with a stonking hangover and all I want is to eat a full English around 9am-10am

But I live in Hang Dong by Big C and most fry ups dont start until 12:00

Any recommendations?

P.S if only papa rock did full english that would be a game changer

If you're at SanSai try this place ........... Kanom Sen Baan Suan ........ 18.822402N 99.035210E (Just off the old 1001)

Old teakwood tables, two big waterfalls, large fish pond inside with Koi carp, great ambiance, food 60bht.

attachicon.gif2015-06-06 12.44.25.jpg

That place is great value ,( i have been several times ) but you wont get a Western breakfast there.

Im amazed that some people feel that paying B195 ($5.70 US) for a quality breakfast of eggs how you like them, bacon, beans, potatoes, tomato, mug of coffee and two thick slices of nice home made bread a rip off.... What would the op consider a fair price for it bearing in mind he has overheads and actually is looking to make some profit as well, god forbid!

The big irish is one of the best breakfasts in town.