How long is it possible to stay in Thailand on tourist visas?

Just wondering,

I have some friends who want to stay in Thailand long term.

How many double entries can they get from the likes of vientiane and Savannakhet before they'll be refused any more?

I think I can remember reading it can be done indefinitely, but I don't know if that's true or not.

They don't want to work or study.

Thanks for any advice! thumbsup.gif

Three tourist visas in the normal limit on them In Laos.

By going to different location is possible to stay for a long time on tourist visas. Going back to their home country to get one helps.

Should there be a time gap before re-applying for a new one do you think?

By going to different location is possible to stay for a long time on tourist visas. Going back to their home country to get one helps.

Should there be a time gap before re-applying for a new one do you think?

No need for a gap for getting the visas in Laos.

If there was a tourist visa from another location between them then it would not be back to back visas from Laos that is what the number of 3 is for.

Been doing it for just shy of six years without a problem though all but one have been triple entry visas obtained in the UK. I would suggest avoiding back to back visas as it could be viewed as a 'lack of' tourism. May never end up being an issue but it could be so why risk it?

• Like 2

At the moment it can be done indefinitely, even at the same consulate.

I remember the guy in the visa shop saying: "New passport, new person"

They don't check your record when applying for a new visa in the consulate but please be aware that immigration sees the length of your stay in the computer when you enter/exit the country. I personally witnessed an immigration officer shouting "you work here!" to some poor guy when exiting so be prepared for an excuse (like having rent income, an overseas business etc.)

I don't think they mind people staying longterm on tourist visas, they are just worried that you might be working.

• Like 1

Don't forget about having proof of an exit ticket of sorts when on a tourist visa. I was busted returning from Singapore on a visa run and in the Phuket airport had to purchase a exit ticket which I never used because I was teaching and later received my B visa from work. But, it was a waste of 2100 baht.

Don't forget about having proof of an exit ticket of sorts when on a tourist visa. I was busted returning from Singapore on a visa run and in the Phuket airport had to purchase a exit ticket which I never used because I was teaching and later received my B visa from work. But, it was a waste of 2100 baht.

I think you were going out for a visa exempt entry not a tourist visa.

I you have a valid visa of any kind a return or onward ticket is not required.

• Like 2

For each visa it is 60 days + 30 day extension then border run to use 2nd entry then 60 + 30 again and then out for a new visa and start all over again.

If I understand the law correctly, this could be followed (and preceded) by 30-day visa exempt with 30-day extension adding a total of 120 days to the tourist visa making 400 days on one double entry visa with a visa-exempt entry either side (60+90+90+60)

I don't know how repeatable this sequence might be. Any comments appreciated.

For each visa it is 60 days + 30 day extension then border run to use 2nd entry then 60 + 30 again and then out for a new visa and start all over again.

If I understand the law correctly, this could be followed (and preceded) by 30-day visa exempt with 30-day extension adding a total of 120 days to the tourist visa making 400 days on one double entry visa with a visa-exempt entry either side (60+90+90+60)

I don't know how repeatable this sequence might be. Any comments appreciated.

I think that only adds up to 300 days not 400.

That might be possible but it would depend upon what country you are from. Unless you are from a G7 country you would only get 15 days at a border crossing.

Also if you add up the costs for border runs and extensions for the visa exempt entries it would not be very cost effective to do it.

I was under the impression that the 3 visa limit was specific to Vientiane, and then it was not a true limit, but just a case of a note written in one's passport warning that proof of funds/travel plans may be required next time (but if supplied will result in another visa with no problem).

You worded it as visas from "Laos" country as a whole, irrespective of whether its the Embassy in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannaket.

I'm interested to know if getting 2 visas from Vientiane then switching to Savannaket for one before getting another 2 from Vientiane might be a worthwhile strategy for the OP's friends.

I know from experience that we can currently get 2 from Vientiane and then get one from Savannaket without getting any notes written into one's passport but I have no idea if that will break the chain for Vientiane.

In short:

2 tourist visas no problem from Vientiane, but third may result in a note.

Getting the third from Savannaket shouldn't result in a note.

However, I have no idea what will happen after the third (Savannaket) visa when trying in either location for a fourth.