How to change to a marriage visa, and can I work on it?

I am a British female and I am due to marry my Thai boyfriend. I am finding it difficult to find how I can change my visa to a marriage visa. I can find a lot of info regarding western men marrying Thai women, but nothing for the other way around!

Also can I work legally with a marriage visa? Get a work permit on the marriage visa?

Any help or info regarding this will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Charlotte

First you will need to obtain a Non O Visa after which you need to get marriage visa.

While you are in Thailand if you are near one of the major tourist areas (Phuket, Bangkok etc.) you will often obtain better information at immigration centres than in the more remote areas.

Being a woman, and Thais....being Thai will more than likely require the man show that he is able to support you in the country.

It's very difficult to search this info, however I recall seeing it somewhere.

All the other standard requirements would exist.

There is no marriage visa. You can get a non-o visa based upon marriage from an embassy or consulate,

It is possible to change from a visa exempt or tourist visa to s non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai at Bangkok immigration, It requires 2 trips 15 days apart,

If you have the non-o visa entry or the entry or the entry form the change to a non immigrant visa you can apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai,

There is no written requirement for you or your husband to show financial proof, Some offices may want your husband to show a small amount of income.

You can get a work permit and work with either a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

The requirements can be found in clause 2.18 of Police Order 327/2557 .

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) The alien must have proof of relationship.
(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto:

Tommyj - thanks for posting inaccurate info.

Ubonjoe - probably the best at giving accurate visa info. Question for you though, for an internal extension on a Non Imm O for marriage the requirement I have had to comply with for the last 10 years or so is 400k in the bank or 50k per month taxable income with my work permit - are you saying this is not an actual requirement?

That depends on your gender. If you are a female married to a Thai male you do not have to proof any fiancials. If you are a male marired to a Thai female you ahve to show 400,000 baht in a bank account in your name OR an income of 40,000 baht a month (not 50,000) before taxes. (The 50,000 is required if you apply for an extension based on working for a company).

• Like 2

Tommyj - thanks for posting inaccurate info.

Ubonjoe - probably the best at giving accurate visa info. Question for you though, for an internal extension on a Non Imm O for marriage the requirement I have had to comply with for the last 10 years or so is 400k in the bank or 50k per month taxable income with my work permit - are you saying this is not an actual requirement?

Not if you are a female.

Ah gender discrimination alive and well in Thailand lol.

On a serious note you will need to go to the UK Embassy to obtain a affirmation to marry certificate this then needs to be translated by the ministry of interior with this you can then get married in local amphur office. When you have your marriage certificate you can then apply at your local immigration office for non o visa based on marriage

you will need

passport copies all stamps

husbands I'd card copy

Copies of both marriage certificates

Husbands house book

freedom to Marry translation

map showing where you live

pics of you and husband sitting on bed and standing at front of house

passport photos

application form

not sure about money for female marrying Thai guy but others seem to know about that

and lastly your visa fee

you will be given a month extension initially and told to return on certain date to collect 11 month non o.

You can get a work permit when you are married but usual rules apply

The question of marriage visa is always confused by the fact that, whilst there is no such thing as a marriage visa, both an O visa issued for marriage or a extension of stay issued for marriage/supporting Thai spouse are both commonly referred to as a marriage visa.

TommyJ may have posted technically inaccurate information, but to be fair the OP was asking about something that does not technically exist, but we all know what se meant.

Can the 400,000 Baht in the bank account be in a joint account with the Thai wife?

No

No, has to be YOUR (you only) bank account, for x months before you apply at the Immigration office; I think x is currently 2 (calendar) months but maybe somebody could confirm. Get a letter from your bank which confirms how much is in your account, do it a day or so before, then I always take out b500 on the morning of the application and take the ATM slip with bank book updated - all to prove how much in the bank account.