France's Senate debates terminal sedation, not euthanasia

webfact

France's Senate debates terminal sedation, not euthanasia

PARIS (AP) — France's debate over end-of-life care goes to the Senate, with a bill that would allow doctors to keep terminally ill patients sedated until death comes, but stops short of legalizing euthanasia and assisted suicide.

Euthanasia is currently legal in the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg, and recent polls show a large majority of French people favor legalization.

But French lawmakers haven't been willing to go quite that far, in a debate that is arising at the same time as the wrenching family dispute surrounding Vincent Lambert, a Frenchman in a coma since a car accident seven years ago.

The new bill would give people "the right to deep, continuous sedation until death." Some doctors say it can mean patients are sedated for weeks, and that euthanasia may be more humane.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-16

I would just demand the necessary pharmaceuticals and do it myself.

I'm not laying there rotting to death in front of my loved ones, even if I don't feel it.

Doctors have been quietly euthanasing suffering terminal patients since time immemorial, and I hope this doesn't frighten them off doing it.

I would just demand the necessary pharmaceuticals and do it myself.

I'm not laying there rotting to death in front of my loved ones, even if I don't feel it.

Doctors have been quietly euthanasing suffering terminal patients since time immemorial, and I hope this doesn't frighten them off doing it.

You would DEMAND! Hahahaha!

Religious people...

They are the ones that forbid this for the sensible people.

If my time ever comes ill try to do it myself or try to get back to the Netherlands (if that is possible)

Many people in this situation are not physically able to carry out a suicide.

That is why i said if possible.

But its so bad that because of religious values and such (because that is the basis of it) people can't terminate their own life if they are in pain. Its real bad that people decide you have to live in pain and are not allowed to die. Just because they consider it a sin.

Good thing I come from a sensible country that allows such things (still hard but doable). For a long time there was resistance, but as religion started to become less and less important and less powerful progress was made.

Lambert in the case mentioned is in a coma. He is unable to 'demand' anything. His wife wants the plugs to be pulled out. She won in the European Court. His parents are fighting the decision and want him kept alive.

That is a tough one as he has not indicated what he wanted. That is why in the Netherlands you need to make this declaration in a time your sound of mind. You can put it in writing for later.

In this case I would not judge anyone as its not clear what he wants himself.