IR Remote Extender/Repeater/Emitter in Chiang Mai

NancyL

Our cats like to lounge atop the Truevisions boxes -- afterall they're warm. We have one in a closet behind a wall mounted flatscreen TV, so we don't watch what was happening. The Samurai Princess was chewing on the IR Remote Extender Receiver Repeater we'd mounted on the Truevisions box and she'd succeeded in losing the little tab at the end, so we can't try a repair. (hmm, I wonder if she swallowed it)

This device allows us to change the channels on the TV with the Truevisions box on the other side of the wall. http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Extender-Receiver-Emitter-Repeater/dp/B00AMTRR5K/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JY1Y4FDR7P10GKMMPZT

Does anyone know, for sure, of a place in Chiang Mai where we can buy such a device? Otherwise, we'll have to order it from Amazon again and hope we can get it thru customs or wait for a friend coming back from the U.S. to bring it. Meanwhile, we have to open the closet door and point the remote at the Truevisions box every time we want to change the channel on the TV. Not exactly a good way to use it.

post-68373-0-55281700-1434503639_thumb.j

Edited by NancyL

What a brilliant device! I'd never heard of such a thing before. Wonderful idea! Personally, I don't care for remote control devices for video, but for them that do, this is certainly handy!

But why the worry about Customs allowing it into the Kingdom? I've never had any electronic devices questioned in the past, and I've ordered in quite a few different items, especially from Amazon.

Oh, customs will let it in, but with an "appropriate" duty charge. Hubby has tried changing the channels by pointing the remote at the cat, but that doesn't appear to be working. He even thoroughly swept the condo looking for the missing piece, so all we can conclude is the cat ate it. He's getting edgy and doesn't want to wait for an Amazon order to arrive.

Edited by NancyL

Oh, customs will let it in, but with an "appropriate" duty charge. Hubby has tried changing the channels by pointing the remote at the cat, but that doesn't appear to be working. He even thoroughly swept the condo looking for the missing piece, so all we can conclude is the cat ate it. He's getting edgy and doesn't want to wait for an Amazon order to arrive.

It probably depends on which end of the cat the device is located at the moment...

But for an item that costs less than $7, just how much import duty could possibly be charged? Even at 100% it's still less than $15 for the luxury of using the device. Two mouse clicks and a one-week wait, and the problem is solved!

You're right of course, but this device is so handy, you've got to believe that it's available in Chiang Mai.

Meanwhile, the cat is sitting next to Hubby, watching TV, looking like she wants to be helpful. Maybe he could just tell her what channel he wants and she could go into the closet and change it manually.

You're right of course, but this device is so handy, you've got to believe that it's available in Chiang Mai.

Meanwhile, the cat is sitting next to Hubby, watching TV, looking like she wants to be helpful. Maybe he could just tell her what channel he wants and she could go into the closet and change it manually.

My cat only pretends to look helpful as a ploy to get more food...

Have you checked the litter box?... coffee1.gif

Edited by sfokevin

No surprise that Truevisions would use a receiver box of unknown pedigree -- despite having the Samsung name. It looks somewhat like this:

post-68373-0-74843800-1434531574_thumb.j

Only the little round portion is in the center of the 5200 model. The little tab the cat chewed off dangled over that circle.

Oh, I've looked. There was no joy in the litter box. Absolutely no joy, unless you count the reaction from the cats once they discovered their box had been cleaned.

Thanks for all the mailorder suggestions, but I might as well go with the known source -- Amazon.com -- that I used before to get the first one and this time tape it down really good on the receiver box.

re

Hubby had asked at the old Amorn when he bought the original one

the old arorn store and the whole icon building which was next to computer plaza have now been demolished nancy

and if you keep pointing the remote at the cat its not going to be happy :(

dave2

post-42592-0-78613600-1434624159_thumb.j

post-42592-0-08583400-1434624233_thumb.j

Today Hubby checked out every possible place at KSK, Computer Plaza, Amorn and Pantip Plaza that could sell such a device. He had already checked out Siam TV earlier in the week. It was amazing self-restraint that he didn't buy a new smartphone, camera, flatscreen TV or PC with the latest version of Windows that he assures me I've really got to have for a better "ThaiVisa experience".

Sigh -- time to place an order with Amazon.com even though the previous order just arrived.

Edited by NancyL