Hilux Revo. Why no interest here?

Bung

Only one topic running which has gone quiet. This is the much anticipated replacement of arguably the most popular truck in Thailand. I would have thought it would have generated a lot of talk yet....nothing. No proud owners chat, no talk of ownership, nothing.....it seems like an anticlimax. Have seen very few on the road. Would love to see the sales figures. I think Toyota have really failed with this one.

Is it that bad?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sales figures for each month are published towards the end of the following month - seeing as this month will be the first to reflect a whole month of Revo sales, we won't know how it's really going until the end of July... And even then, that doesn't really paint the full picture - this and last month's sales will be inflated by all the advance bookings they will have received.

We won't really know market share positions of these next-gen pickups until Ford and Isuzu start selling their 2015 big-minor-change models too, I guess.

With the amount of Farang driving 10 year model run Vigos I thought the all new Revo would have generated more interest here.

I'm having a car serviced and next door is Mazda. Checked our the 3 and it's a very nice looking car. Kind of exudes a quality above what it is. Is there a turbo diesel option?

From my own POV, it's really hard for me to move past that awful dash in the Revo :P If you squint enough that you can't see it, and actually drive the truck, it's nice on the road though - a clear improvement over the old model - I would rate it about the same as the new Triton - both are big improvements behind the wheel, but both are eyesores :)

From my own POV, it's really hard for me to move past that awful dash in the Revo tongue.png If you squint enough that you can't see it, and actually drive the truck, it's nice on the road though - a clear improvement over the old model - I would rate it about the same as the new Triton - both are big improvements behind the wheel, but both are eyesores smile.png

so what are these "improvements"?

From my own POV, it's really hard for me to move past that awful dash in the Revo tongue.png If you squint enough that you can't see it, and actually drive the truck, it's nice on the road though - a clear improvement over the old model - I would rate it about the same as the new Triton - both are big improvements behind the wheel, but both are eyesores smile.png

Well. we can listen to LEEWOO insted of WEEEGO...

Big improvements in noise (lack of), and comfort levels, and an overall 'lighter' driving experience (doesn't feel so much like you're driving a truck), plus quieter + more responsive diesels.

Drive one and you'll see what I mean :)

Big improvements in noise (lack of), and comfort levels, and an overall 'lighter' driving experience (doesn't feel so much like you're driving a truck), plus quieter + more responsive diesels.

Drive one and you'll see what I mean smile.png

I drove a new Mitsu and quite frankly I think that most people who claim "improvements" are comparing a brand new test drive to a 5 to 10 year old vehicle that hasn't had new steering or shocks since it was bought........

Unless you can be specific I can't see the point of your post.

I believe part of the slow uptake is Toyota are still pushing out the previous model at good discounts, all forecourts seem to be stacked with many new "old" model for immediate delivery. That and of course the hideous dash on the Revo!!

With the amount of Farang driving 10 year model run Vigos I thought the all new Revo would have generated more interest here.

If it ain't broke, why fix replace it? :)

I have to admit, if I was a Vigo owner, and had only looked at the Revo, I wouldn't see too many reasons to drop a few hundred K and get the new model. From a cosmetics POV it really only is EVOlutionary....

However, If your Vigo is a 2nd or 3rd car, and your 1st/2nd cars make it feel prehistoric by comparison, you might see more value in a Revo upgrade after you drive one though ;)

Note: I don't own a Vigo, nor a Revo - just sayin' :)

I drove a new Mitsu and quite frankly I think that most people who claim "improvements" are comparing a brand new test drive to a 5 to 10 year old vehicle that hasn't had new steering or shocks since it was bought........

Unless you can be specific I can't see the point of your post.

If you can't tell the difference between the old Triton and the new, once behind the wheel, lucky you I say - you can be satisfied easily/cheaply :)

No matter what you do to a Truck designed to carry a ton safely plus passengers it still hops about like a Demented Kangaroo when One Up on poor roads. New ones ain't much different ride wise than my new Big M 22 years ago Just more quit , powerful and 800 K more

They should give you the option of a "comfort" package of rear springs rated for 500kg not 1000kg like vw do with their pickup. Who carries more than 500kg ever? Not many farang esp in the top 4 door models. Lucky to get 100kg back there in its lifetime. Mostly its a few shopping bags and a case of beer.

They should give you the option of a "comfort" package of rear springs rated for 500kg not 1000kg like vw do with their pickup. Who carries more than 500kg ever? Not many farang esp in the top 4 door models. Lucky to get 100kg back there in its lifetime. Mostly its a few shopping bags and a case of beer.

.. Most Ferangs get conned into their first one. Building the new house trick. Then they find out the Cement can be deliver for a few Bht. Then they want a Jazz or similar to save their kidneys from slapping them order the Chin. 'Twas so in my case anyway

.. Most Ferangs get conned into their first one. Building the new house trick. Then they find out the Cement can be deliver for a few Bht. Then they want a Jazz or similar to save their kidneys from slapping them order the Chin. 'Twas so in my case anyway

It was the opposite for me, I had the Jazz and soon found out that I was going to tear out the suspension or the exhaust system with the abundance of potholes and rough roads in my area. Then bought an old D Max for 4 years and now a new Triton and would only want to own a pickup in Thailand, even if the back is only used for groceries.

Good reason that's why I stay on the grid.

Kind of limits where you can go and what you can see doesn't it?

Can do as much near enough what a rear wheel truck can do, like get over speed bumps at Big C.25 years ago it was more handy to chuck MIL in the Back thumbsup.gif

I saw a test car driving and had to look twice to confirm it was the new one.

Followed it to the dealer and checked the interior and that has been sort of spiced up with many of the features that are standard in sedans now.

Didn't drive it yet, but also don't expect a spectacular experience there.

It's more like a touch up of the VIgo than that it's worth to be called a new model.

But as I'm inching up to 300,000 km of trouble free driving in my current Vigo it would be a serious candidate for the replacement.

My first impressions when viewing the Revo a few weeks back were as mentioned above. Exterior styling very plain apart from the long snout which is slowly growing on me. Pun intended. As for the dashboard ... What the hell were they thinking??? Perhaps an afterthought ... Oops, we forgot something and plonked a screen in the middle. Looks terrible!!

We were mainly interested in the Fortuner, coming next month, which may utilise much of Revos styling and components. We're not so excited at the prospects now and will likely order a new Everest in August instead. Ford pickups and SUVs may steal the limelight from Toyota this year.

sounds like you're comparing it to a vehicle with a high mileage........ noise especially are you comparing to Toyotas...they stay very quiet is serviced OK....or tyre noise? well that depends on tires............the rest is all a bit vague - I'm not saying there isn't some improvement.....but every time a new model comes out people extoll the "improvements' and after about a year forget about all that because the changes really weren't that dramatic and mostly put down to being a new/low mileage car.

As fro driving one...well I'm in no hurry - my job means that sooner or later it will happen, but you've drawn a parallel with the Mitsu which I have driven in various forms and quite frankly I think it's a very average vehicle eve y pickup standards.

Edited by cumgranosalum

sounds like you're comparing it to a vehicle with a high mileage........ noise especially are you comparing to Toyotas...they stay very quiet is serviced OK....or tyre noise? well that depends on tires............the rest is all a bit vague - I'm not saying there isn't some improvement.....but every time a new model comes out people extoll the "improvements' and after about a year forget about all that because the changes really weren't that dramatic and mostly put down to being a new/low mileage car.

As fro driving one...well I'm in no hurry - my job means that sooner or later it will happen, but you've drawn a parallel with the Mitsu which I have driven in various forms and quite frankly I think it's a very average vehicle eve y pickup standards.

Get back to us once you actually driven a Revo, and once you've actually driven the new gen Triton :)

The face-lifted Ford Ranger that is coming looks the business inside and out. The existing Ranger was (and still is?) arguably the manliest looking truck on the road. Nothing wrong with their engines either, especially the bigger 3.2l.

I was surprised at the Revo. It actually looks plainer up close and personal than it does in the photos.

I saw something interesting on the way to work this morning in Ayutthaya, new Volkswagen Amarok with red plates. First and only one I have seen. I couldn't tell you if it was someone's import (but why?), or if it was a model brought in by VW to get their engineers up to speed before officially releasing/producing it here. I know VW is building a facility in Thailand.

Edited by Katipo

No its not bad, its a workhose to most Thais and they will buy them as required. Toyota near me are promoting a new saloon ,not the truck. Im amazed the nice new Mazda Car hasnt dented Honda or Toyo sales.Funny old Game.coffee1.gif

expensive workhorse tongue.png