Disaster mitigation agencies to be on high alert for monsoon on Jun 17-21

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where do you think? BKK of course! Where the heavy rains were reported.

You've obviously never experienced a signal 3 typhoon, much less signal 8.

No such thing as a class 8 typhoon !! The strongest typhoon is classed as level 5 and that is referred to as a super typhoon no matter how strong the winds are above the minimum criteria for class 5. There is no class 6 or higher numbered level of Typhoon that I have ever heard of. Please do try to get these basic facts right before quoting them. I think maybe you are trying to refer to the Beaufort scale where force 8 is a gale in fact, and force 11 is I believe a class 1 hurricane/typhoon/cyclone (all are the same thing but differently named in different regions of the globe). No reason at all why everyone should be expected to know that info of course, as we all know about different things of course. It is still though useful knowledge to learn.

Personally I have never experienced a full typhoon. A tropical storm is bad enough let alone an even minimum class 1 typhoon. Anyhow they are not talking here about a typhoon, and currently for info there is not even a tropical storm remotely in sight if you look at the Joint Typhoon Warning Centre that covers the whole of the pacific ocean and surrounding areas including Thailand.

We are, as is normal this time of year, expecting the first of the South Westerly monsoons of the rainy season, bringing not surprisingly heavy and sometimes devastating torrential rains and dangerously gusty maybe damaging local winds. As somebody said here earlier, what we have had these past thankfully cooling days is simply the showery precursor to the impending SW monsoons, which the Thai met office now say is likely about to strike the areas they have listed for our guidance.

So let us all thank them for the warnings and stop the incessant pointless moaning and put downs which are so boring and sadly so predictable.

"Please do try to get these basic facts right before quoting them."

I suggest you try to understand a post before trying to show how knowledgeable you are.

http://www.weather.gov.hk/publica/gen_pub/tcws.pdf

http://www.weather.gov.hk/informtc/precaution.htm

I talk about signals, not class.

Gweiloman. How is it obvious what I have or have not experienced? Are you some sort of telepath?

No? Just talking complete nonsense.

You wrote

What about the Typhoon style storms and rains we had over the last few days!!

If you thought the rains we had in Bkk recently were typhoon style storms, then you have obviously not experienced a real typhoon storm. No nonsense, just a simple observation.

Gweiloman. How is it obvious what I have or have not experienced? Are you some sort of telepath?

You wrote

If you thought the rains we had in Bkk recently were typhoon style storms, then you have obviously not experienced a real typhoon storm. No nonsense, just a simple observation.

What are you?! Terminally serious. Or some kind of Meteorological freak?!

YOU whoever you are have no idea about me or what I have experienced. So why dont you go <deleted> yourself and crawl back under whatever rock you crawled out from Under.

Where do you think? BKK of course! Where the heavy rains were reported.

You've obviously never experienced a signal 3 typhoon, much less signal 8.

No such thing as a class 8 typhoon !! The strongest typhoon is classed as level 5 and that is referred to as a super typhoon no matter how strong the winds are above the minimum criteria for class 5. There is no class 6 or higher numbered level of Typhoon that I have ever heard of. Please do try to get these basic facts right before quoting them. I think maybe you are trying to refer to the Beaufort scale where force 8 is a gale in fact, and force 11 is I believe a class 1 hurricane/typhoon/cyclone (all are the same thing but differently named in different regions of the globe). No reason at all why everyone should be expected to know that info of course, as we all know about different things of course. It is still though useful knowledge to learn.

Personally I have never experienced a full typhoon. A tropical storm is bad enough let alone an even minimum class 1 typhoon. Anyhow they are not talking here about a typhoon, and currently for info there is not even a tropical storm remotely in sight if you look at the Joint Typhoon Warning Centre that covers the whole of the pacific ocean and surrounding areas including Thailand.

We are, as is normal this time of year, expecting the first of the South Westerly monsoons of the rainy season, bringing not surprisingly heavy and sometimes devastating torrential rains and dangerously gusty maybe damaging local winds. As somebody said here earlier, what we have had these past thankfully cooling days is simply the showery precursor to the impending SW monsoons, which the Thai met office now say is likely about to strike the areas they have listed for our guidance.

So let us all thank them for the warnings and stop the incessant pointless moaning and put downs which are so boring and sadly so predictable.

"Please do try to get these basic facts right before quoting them."

I suggest you try to understand a post before trying to show how knowledgeable you are.

http://www.weather.gov.hk/publica/gen_pub/tcws.pdf

http://www.weather.gov.hk/informtc/precaution.htm

I talk about signals, not class.

Well I stand corrected of course and no problem admitting to it. BUT in my defence these are some obscure Hong Kong local signalling systems that I have never heard of anywhere else it seems.

No I am not a know-it-all either as like most folk, though yes I do know a reasonable amount about a limited number of subjects, of which meteorology is one of them that I have privately studied quite a bit. I also of course know a little bit about a lot of other stuff as we all do. So I suppose a jack of all trades and a master of very few is what I am not too proud to admit to being.

Certainly I have never been to Hong Kong and never seen or heard of that signalling system they obviously seem to use there. I am sure most folk here even with some meteorology knowledge are unlikely to have heard of that localised Hong Kong system either, as it is not one used generally over the World, and indeed not heard it used in Thailand either, from any of my my knowledge. Please correct me if I am wrong my friend.

Thanks for advancing my knowledge about this Hong Kong system as always happy to learn such stuff that is new to me.

You wrote

What are you?! Terminally serious. Or some kind of Meteorological freak?!

YOU whoever you are have no idea about me or what I have experienced. So why dont you go <deleted> yourself and crawl back under whatever rock you crawled out from Under.

I do know more about you that you think. Your name is Duncxx, mobile phone 089XXXXXXX, lives in Nxxxxxxxxri, hates the Shins, the Chinese... shall I go on?

No need to get angry mate. Was just pointing out the difference between a torrential downpour (Monsoon rains) as compared to a typhoon.

Well, first BKK had two nights a week or so ago of really heavy rain that the authorities didn't warn about in advance.

Now we have the warning for 17-21, and thus far, nothing much in BKK with 17 and 18 having passed.

At this point, I wouldn't mind too much if we had a good hard rain (and hopefully everyone stays safe), just so the Thai weather forecasters could actually be right for once... whistling.gif

someone wrote, he always unplugs pc, tv in case of storms. i have an UPS, Uninterruptible power supply (about 2000 baht, shoe-box-size), i use my pc even during thunderstorms, since many years. just an idea, for the next storm.
http://www.kevinscrate.com/blog/2007/07/22/ups-uninterruptible-power-supply-a-must-for-your-computer/