Answers for online form for UK visitor visa

OK Ive formatted and edited it down to less than 2 pages.

Is it ok to include a checklist page of all the docs submitted?

My wife needs to write a letter of application too right?

Also, my sodding printer/scanner has just run out of ink, is there a shop in or near Trendy where I can print documents tomorrow morning??

Not only is it ok to include a checklist of supporting documents; it's recommended.

No, there is no need for your wife to write a letter.

Don't know if there are any internet cafes or similar in or near the building, suspect so, though. But you, or rather your wife, can print out the hard copy of the application form inside VFS for 25 baht per page; I don't know about other documents such as emails, but suspect they'll be happy to take her money and let her print them.

Remember that, for space and security reasons, usually only the applicant is allowed inside the VAC. So you'll probably have to wait outside. I'm told there's a reasonable coffee shop on the ground floor.

Checklist page is quite a good idea and perhaps number the pieces of evidence (see my final comment). Basically anything which makes it easy for a very busy ECO to take in what you have supplied.

Your wife does not need to write a letter as it is her application. Having said that I know many people including theoldgit think it is a good idea. I have not supplied one from my wife on the 2 occasions I have lodged an application and both were successful. So really I think that it is a matter of personal preference. If you do supply one from her, of course make sure both letters tell the same story as the ECO's will pick up on any inconsistencies.

I am sure there will be a printing place but from memory I am sure that the stuff you print out at the end of the application says that you can print out pages at the time of lodging the application....at an enhanced price I suspect.

One last thing. There have been many reports of VFS staff removing papers from the application and changing the order. Make sure you tell your wife to tell them that she wants the application to be submitted as it is. Strictly speaking you are not allowed in with her but last time I saw husbands/boyfriends going in and they weren't stopped. Don't ask, just go in and see what happens, then you can help her out. At worst they will say you cannot go in.

Important/ irreplaceable documents (such as marriage certificate, house book, bank books, birth certificate etc) can be returned to your wife when she submits the application at VFS. The receiving officer can annotate the copies.

^^^^^^^

This is new to me; VFS used to forward both originals and copies to the embassy.

When did it start?

Makes sense, it's what the post office settlement checking service in the UK does with FLR and ILR applications.

Just make sure your wife checks that they do have and forward all the copies before she removes the originals!

They have returned important document to my wife on submitting the applications in 2011, 2012 & 2013, the years we were successful.

I have made this point on here previously and others have concurred.

Never happened to me. They always sent originals and copies to the embassy. Maybe it depends who you get. Mind you the dates given are up to 2013 and my applications were 2014 and this current year so it is equally possible that they have discontinued this procedure.

They have returned important document to my wife on submitting the applications in 2011, 2012 & 2013, the years we were successful.

I have made this point on here previously and others have concurred.

I have no doubt that the above was your experience and that of others.

However, the UKVI guide to supporting documents still says

All documents must be originals and not photocopies.

So that is what I do, and always have done; submit originals and photocopies when I want the originals back. Including the most recent application I sponsored for my sister in law in Feb this year.

Up to you, as they say; but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Particularly as we have had several reports recently of applications being refused due to missing documents after VFS staff have, wrongly, told applicants they weren't needed!

Edited by 7by7

Yes told my mrs not to let them take anything out no matter what, going there now actually but still really confused about original docus!! Surely they dont keep our original bank books?? I have copies of everything anyway to submit...

When my girlfriend applied, three apps and three visas, she submitted printouts from the bank together with covering letters from the bank. She took her actual books and copies, and they were returned.

As advised, a check list is good as in the case VFS wont accept evidence, they're exceeding their remit if they do that, it proves to the ECO that evidence was initially supplied, or rather you intended to.

OK well submitted, had to wait for an hr for the appointment as very busy, paid for sms alerts and ems for sending the passport back and been told it will be 15 working days. So what should we expect now in terms of hearing back from them? How do they notify you if you have/havent been successful?

OK well submitted, had to wait for an hr for the appointment as very busy, paid for sms alerts and ems for sending the passport back and been told it will be 15 working days. So what should we expect now in terms of hearing back from them? How do they notify you if you have/havent been successful?

You should get an email/sms when the application goes to the embassy, and you will get another when the decision is made and another when the passport is sent back. At no point will you get any mail or sms to say if successful or not, you have to look in the passport when it gets back to you.