Answers for online form for UK visitor visa

Just been filling in the online application with my wife for her first UK visitor visa and confused by some parts:

I chose family 1 year longstay visitor visa, but I thought they had all been changed to standard now? That wasnt a choice anyway so I went with the 1 yr family one, is this correct?

Near the end there were a lot of financial questions for her about dependants which she answered no to but then a lot about the cost of the trip and the flight, we selected that someone else would be paying for everything (me) and the total amount that I would spend/give to her but what should she put for all the other questions like how much money will she use on the trip? Put zero for each question?

My advice is save your money and go for a six month visa. The only difference between visa types is the purpose of the visit.

To qualify for the 1yr or longer visa you must prove you have 'a frequent and ongoing need to come to the UK'. It is quite likely that you will pay the extra for a 1 year visa and be given a six month one. You will not get a refund of the difference in cost!

Just put in a reasonable figure and state in a covering letter that you are paying the costs including spending money. You will need to provide evidence that this is affordable so provide evidence that you can afford to pay!

Check the visit visa basics pinned topic for what you should provide!

Edited by bobrussell

Indeed, as I said to you via PM, if you apply for a 1 year one, which is more expensive, and they decide to issue a 6 months one, you will not get any refund of the difference in fees.

In addition, to get a 1 year one she will need to show why she needs to make regular trips to the UK during that period.

Good advice above as always. There is no catch to these questions. Most Thai applicants aren't paying anything so just answer "My sponsor is paying for everything" and make sure you supply all the evidence to show that you can fund the trip.

Im pretty sure there wasnt any 6 month option there though... I will check this again tomorrow anyway

I can't remember the layout of the form, as it's now over 4 months since I completed one.

But on the "View my applications" page of my account it definitely says " Visit, (Family) Single, double and multiple, valid up to 6 months." so the option of 6 months must be there somewhere.

Im pretty sure there wasnt any 6 month option there though... I will check this again tomorrow anyway

I can't remember the layout of the form, as it's now over 4 months since I completed one.

But on the "View my applications" page of my account it definitely says " Visit, (Family) Single, double and multiple, valid up to 6 months." so the option of 6 months must be there somewhere.

Unless they have changed it recently, it was, for some reason, the last option on the list.

Unless they have changed it recently, it was, for some reason, the last option on the list.

It is 6 month General Visitor visa that you require - I also think it is the last on the list.

It is easy to select the 12 m one earlier in the list by mistake - I did once, the fees are significantly higher than the $133 for a 6 month visit visa and I had to start a new application !!

Having the word 'family' in several of the options also confuses.

take care with "family " in principle this is for thai to visit thai ie mother to visit daughter who studies .general visitor is as it says to make touristic visits and also see some old friends.this general visitor has less implications.do not ask for too much as too much means too little for you.as visitor its you who is responsible to foot the bill and ensure she gets out in time. do not ask for a long continious stay .in any case stay is restricted to 180 days (running from when you apply in bkk) in a year so a one year means she can come and go several times in one year up to 180 day.

take care with "family " in principle this is for thai to visit thai ie mother to visit daughter who studies .general visitor is as it says to make touristic visits and also see some old friends.this general visitor has less implications.do not ask for too much as too much means too little for you.as visitor its you who is responsible to foot the bill and ensure she gets out in time. do not ask for a long continious stay .in any case stay is restricted to 180 days (running from when you apply in bkk) in a year so a one year means she can come and go several times in one year up to 180 day.

A family visit can be a couple travelling together or for a spouse meeting their other half, it could be a sister visiting their sibling or a grandparent visiting a baby, it's certainly not only for Thai visiting Thai.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "its you who is responsible to foot the bill" foot the bill for what? also there is absolutely no requirement for a sponsor to "ensure she gets out in time".

Whilst a visa is valid from the date on the vignette the 180 days clock only starts ticking when the visa holder has entered the UK, certainly not from when the application is made, also bear in mind that the 180 days isn't set in stone, it's a convention.

im not taking issue on any forum but whats written officially and what is expected are two entirely different matters .if your uk 6month visa starts on 1 april and you enter on september 1st you have 30 days left in the uk .any person involved with "inviting "or any other discription is "responsible"ie will be questioned why there is an overstay.UK is now monitoring exit either by airport or any other means ,and about time as well.its still better to enter illegally ,easier,more chance of long term stay than to jump through ever changing hoops designed to protect the rear end of officials and please the public.

You are correct, luxoretired, when you now say in the above post that a 6 month visit visa starts and finishes on specific dates, not when the holder first enters the UK (it used to, btw, but that was changed some years ago).

However, you originally said

.........stay is restricted to 180 days (running from when you apply in bkk) in a year so a one year means she can come and go several times in one year up to 180 day.

which is not quite right.

Regardless of the term of someone's visit visa, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years or even 10 years, the visa will start on the day it is issued, not the date of the application. Unless the applicant askes for a specific start date, which can be up to three months ahead.

Also, whatever the term, the maximum they can stay in the UK on any one visit is 6 months, as you said.

There is also a convention, but not rule, that a visitor should not normally spend more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK, unless they can provide a satisfactory explanation of why they need to do so.

You also say

its you who is responsible to foot the bill and ensure she gets out in time

Case law has determined that the sponsor of a visitor is not in any way responsible for the actions of that visitor whilst in the UK; including any overstay. Unless the sponsor knowingly colluded in some way with the applicant in submitting a fraudulent application or attempting to subvert the immigration rules in some other way.

The only undertaking which is accepted by UKVI from a sponsor is to provide accommodation and/or maintenance during a visit.

ECB12.2 Undertakings from sponsors, MPs etc

Applications for entry clearance are sometimes supported by undertakings from a sponsor, Member of Parliament or other third parties. However, only the undertaking of a sponsor on maintenance and accommodation is mentioned in the Rules (see following sub-section).

Any other undertaking by a sponsor or any third party undertaking is unenforceable. No such undertakings should be sought by the ECO. Offers to provide such undertakings should not be accepted.

Finally, family members includes the family of the applicant's spouse or partner.

Though this became moot when the right of appeal for family visit refusals was abolished and it made no practical difference whether one applied for a family visit visa or a general one. Even more so now that family visit visas and general ones have been combined, along with most other categories, into the standard visit visa.

Edited by 7by7

Had to delete it and start again from scratch! Done now anyway and chose 6 months general visitor and have appointment booked for Monday. Going to do a final checklist of my docs next but think I'll do that in a new thread. Thanks for all the help!

OK so here's my checklist:

Accommodation

Invitation letter from father regarding accomodation with house address on and all his contact details
Fathers mortgage payment copy
My financials (Im the sponsor)
SCB bank book updated and copies for 6+ months
Krungsi bank book updated and copies for 6+ months
HSBC UK 6 months statement
My sponsor letter
My passport docs
My passport stamped & visa pages copied
Wifes passport docs
Copy of wifes passoprt (new passport)
Wifes financials (just for something to show, I will explain that Im paying for everything)
Wifes Kasikorn bank book + certified translation of name + copies
Proof of our life together
Marriage certificate original + certified translation + copy
Marriage document Khor ror 2 original + certified translation + copy
Wifes name change to my surame doc original + certified translation + copy
Copy of my 1 year house rental agreement in Bangkok in English and deposit receipt
AIS internet bill in wifes name but to my rented Bangkok address in thai + certified translation + copy
A few photos from Facebook printed out so that they show the date stamps including important events like getting engaged etc etc.
Finally there will be the online application document that we will print out.
Have I missed anything?
Am I supposed to sign some of these docs btw eg my passport pages? Does she need to sign anything too?
thanks

just read this and it doesnt exactly fill me with confidence!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/834025-uk-tourist-visa-refusal-advice/

I thought having a family here wasnt a good reason to return? My mrs has 7 sisters...

Also do they seriously expect me to buy the plane tickets in advance even if I dont know she will get the visa or not???

just read this and it doesnt exactly fill me with confidence!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/834025-uk-tourist-visa-refusal-advice/

I thought having a family here wasnt a good reason to return? My mrs has 7 sisters...

Also do they seriously expect me to buy the plane tickets in advance even if I dont know she will get the visa or not???

That one was very different to your case. And they definitely do not expect you to buy tickets in advance, in fact they specifically tell you not to.

• Like 1

As you can see from the thread which you refered to (visa refusal), the reason for her to return to Thailand is extremely important. From what you say, you are married and she is going to the UK to see you. If you do not show sufficient reason for her to return to Thailand, it is not difficult to imagine what conclusion the ECO will arrive at.

Show as much evidence as possible of her possessions in Thailand (car, land chanote and such), her job, if she has traveled under a visa previously, show that she has complied with the conditions. Show her saving, particularly if she has big money in the bank. If you are planning a future together in the UK, say so and point out that you don't want to prejudiced any settlement visa...just some suggestions from our experience.

<snip>

From what you say, you are married and she is going to the UK to see you........

Those familiar with his earlier posts in another topic know that the OP and his wife live in Thailand together.

This is also shown by some of the documents on his list posted above.

davejonesbkk,

Do not let the pessimists put you off; some of them have obviously not read your previous posts and do nt know your situatio0n.

Do not let that other topic put you off; as Upnotover says, your situation is completely different.

That your wife has "zero possessions, jobs or assets, nothing at all" will not be a major factor because she lives in Thailand with you and you have those things.

You have solid reasons to return to Thailand, which means she does as well.

With regard to your list, two things:

1. You don't need to include a copy of her passport as they will have the original.
  2. Do you have any other evidence of living together; letters addressed to you, her or you both jointly? If so, I'd include a few.
  • Like 2

My apologies...

I was certainly not being pessimistic, it's not in my nature. I was unaware of any previous threads/posts

I was only going on the information available in this thread. (maybe there were clues in hindsight)

As Upnotover and 7by7 have said your circumstances are quite different. I did a successful visit application last year and my GF as was, now wife had about 3 bhat in her bank account so her finances are irrelevant. Reason to return is the big one but as you live together in Thailand it is much easier. Your passport will show your visa history but I would elaborate on that in your sponsor letter to ram home the fact that you are settled in Thailand with your wife and therefore you both have reasons to return. Make sure your father's letter includes details of the accommodation available to show that there is sufficient accommodation. Good luck.

• Like 1

OK thanks, no other evidence that we live together, just the contract for the house is in my name and one of the bills is in her name, thats all I can think of...

No matter, that plus your Thai visa should be enough.

As Upnotover and 7by7 have said your circumstances are quite different. I did a successful visit application last year and my GF as was, now wife had about 3 bhat in her bank account so her finances are irrelevant. Reason to return is the big one but as you live together in Thailand it is much easier. Your passport will show your visa history but I would elaborate on that in your sponsor letter to ram home the fact that you are settled in Thailand with your wife and therefore you both have reasons to return. Make sure your father's letter includes details of the accommodation available to show that there is sufficient accommodation. Good luck.

thanks, yes just been writing the letter now and its pretty long as Im explaining how I basically live her etc etc along with all the evidence and docs included

Pretty long?

Don't make it too long, two pages, three at most.

Any more than that and the ECO will probably speed read it and so could easily miss something vital.

Once you've written it, edit it; and be strict with yourself!

thanks, yes just been writing the letter now and its pretty long ...

I lean towards one side of A4. I can edit two or three pages of spiel down to one page of easy reading.

If I'm really pushed for space then I reduce the font size slightly and widen the margins. I'm strong on content and formatting.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

• Like 1

Don't make it too long, two pages, three at most.

I lean towards one side of A4.

For the letter itself, yes I agree.

My two, three at most, pages includes any expansion to or clarification of answers on the application form plus the list of supporting documents.

Apologies for not making that clear.

(Edited to fix quote boxes.)

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1