Sound drops when I switch a light on

narkeddiver

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on the cause of the following problem and any ideas regarding a solution

We've moved to a new home and I've set up my home theatre the same way I had it before - computer attached to TV by HDMI and attached to sound system via toslink (unfortunately no HDMI in)

I've noticed when I'm playing music from my computer and switch a light on the sound drops out for a second

However if I'm playing a cd in the sound system the sound isn't affected, neither is the video signal to the TV

I thought maybe the light switches are causing a power drop on the circuit and that was causing the issue but I'm not sure why nothing else is affected

Any thought?

1. Check the toslink cable for damage or bad connection

2. Re-organize your wires so that AC wires are not parallel to any audio signal cables, and only ever cross over them at 90 degrees

3. Try a different light bulb if it's LED or CFL, or a new ballast if it's a fluorescent.

Edited by IMHO

1. Check the toslink cable for damage or bad connection

2. Re-organize your wires so that AC wires are not parallel to any audio signal cables, and only ever cross over them at 90 degrees

3. Try a different light bulb if it's LED or CFL, or a new ballast if it's a fluorescent.

I hadn't considered damage to the cable- maybe it got damaged in the move. I'll switch the sound to the HDMI cable and see if it's steady coming out of the TV - I guess that'll help rule in or out the toslink Edited by narkeddiver

• 1 month later...