Poisoned Pet Rabbit

Margo

A warning to all that our pet rabbit appears to have been poisoned by a product recommended by at least two vets in Bangkok to rid her of fleas. The product was sprayed on Sunday and she began suffering seizures Wed. night, Thurs. We took her to a vet Thursday night, but the diagnosis was `an internal infection' and an antibiotic injection administered. The vet ruled out poisoning by the product we'd used to rid her of the fleas. Our rabbit died soon after we returned home.

Not convinced the flea treatment and illness were unrelated, I did a three word google search: Frontline Rabbit Fleas. Our rabbit suffered precisely the symptoms described in this article, which comes up as the top item in the search. It appears our vets are not keeping up with their research.

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/h.../frontline.html

Medical Alert: Problems Reported with New Topical Flea ProductsMedical Alert: Problems Reported with New Topical Flea Products ... Frontline resulting in the death of three rabbits; another rabbit has been successfully ...

frontline for cats (cant remember if there is for cats) maybe (rabbits groom themselves so ingest lots of the stuff); we were told to use frontline on our ferrets, but not to apply to heavily; only a lite spray...

there is advantage for cats maybe better;

ivomac is best for most things u can inject subcutaneous or squirt in mouth.

wow..Im very sorry about your rabbit :o

and surprises me alot cuz I have one rabbit too..

I want to take her to the doctor to control the fleas, but she does not hv much.. I guess I prefer to let her have them than kill her .. O_o

:D

I really love rabbits!

Umm.. BTW, does anyone knows which hospital have doctors for rabbit's?

thanks

I want to take her to the doctor to control the fleas, but she does not hv much.. I guess I prefer to let her have them than kill her .. O_o

I really love rabbits!

thanks

Question, as I do not know that much about Rabbits:

Isn't it possible to powder them or shampoo them with anti-flea stuff? If that's less threatening to their lives? In my experience all those anti-flea and anti-ticks stuff works for fleas, but not really for ticks.

• 3 weeks later...

I really love rabbits!

thanks

Question, as I do not know that much about Rabbits:

Isn't it possible to powder them or shampoo them with anti-flea stuff? If that's less threatening to their lives? In my experience all those anti-flea and anti-ticks stuff works for fleas, but not really for ticks.

He live at my home more than year. And he is very small. I love it very much. Frank's-The-Rabbit photos Rabbit photosLovely-rabbit-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

There is a parasite spray called "Petsafe" in a white, yellow & blue bottle. It's quite expensive (about 350 baht), but it claims to be safe for many mammals. It includes chinchillas, but I'm not sure about rabbits (I don't have a bottle here to check). I know it's safe on puppies, as it's the only spray we'd ever use on pups, some others are far too dangerous. Also, to minimise exposure, it can be a good idea to spray product onto your hands (gloved if you're sensitive) & stroke them through the animal's hair, rather than spraying straight onto the animal

rabbits lick themselves therefor any spray u use should meet requirements for naimals that lick themselves.... dogs do not lick i.e. groom themselves as much...

combing for fleas and ivomac for mites is best; dont spay the rabbit just separate from the male... thats all u need to do, or get two females BUT NEVER TWO MALES to live together. or a single pet... they dont get bored if u play with them and let them out to play for a while.

rabbits can be litterbox trained and housebroken but will eat all cables wires papers etc and can escape the house too...

rabbits for the most part get one major disease that u will notice and can treat; snuffles its a kind of pasturella which causes rabbit pneumonia and conjunctivitis among other things... the cure is decent food, rest, and antibiotics-- we use baytril oral for chickens... or penstrep shots ... the other more common 'disease' is actually people caused i.e. diahrrea from feeding too much inappropriate 'wet' food like lettuce or tomatoes, or fast changes of any food; or sudden rabbit death usually caused by people that forget to feed or give water to rabbit or leave rabbit in direct sun.

bina

• 4 months later...

Been thinking of getting into some rabbit breeding myself but after reading thru the posts on how they can develop major diseases, not sure now.

BTW, watch out for the Iams brand pet food - they've found rat poison in some of it in the states and a lot of folks dog/cats etc have died of liver failure after consuming it.

Edited by Boon Mee