3BB refused to sell 50 Mbps fibre, says that plan gives 30 Mbps.

roly

I went to 3BB today to increase my 30 Mbps fibre plan up to 50 Mbps, which is around 2,500 baht a month.

They said no I couldn't have it, as apparently it only gives 30 Mbps, and several people have complained and they've gone back down to 30 Mbps.

This doesn't make any sense! Why have the 50 Mbps product on all their prices, and then when you say you'll have it, they say no...I'd understand if it was ADSL as it depends on many factors, but these fibre lines are well capable of 100's of Mbps, you can get more than 200 Mbps on a line, probably more, so it's not like it's a physical limitation. Pretty much just flicking a switch in the control centre to allow that customer to have the higher speed.

Anyone else get the same response? I'm happy with the 30 Mbps, it's rock solid and very fast, though I was gonna go for the 50 Mbps for the hell of it (mainly for the higher upload speed from 3 Mbps to 10 Mbps, rather than the increase in download speed from 30 Mbps to 50 Mbps). I'll probably give it a few months and ask again.

Just seems a bit pointless advertising the 50 Mbps if you can't actually sign up for it!

R

they are aware that the or product has not met expectations and are refusing to sell it on those grounds. would you rather be on here complaining that you are only getting 30 mbps?

on another note, my 30 megabit true regularly hits 40 - 50 mbps.

There are always physical limitations and that will be the reason.....

Sure fibre can handle a load more than 50Mb (so can ethernet), but you are ignoring the upstream...

Every fibre home connection is linked to a router box in the street, which in turn is linked to a regional office which is linked to head office which connects worldwide.

Every step of those has limited capacity, high but limits.

My bet is your limit is at street level, gigabit fibre street routers are cheaper than 10Gb and loads cheaper than 100Gb or tb... 30 users at 30Mb in one area passing through a 1Gb line and they cant support more (contention ratios aside).

I know first hand that 100Mb fibre routers were common on the street 7 years ago (2Mb average then), they were easily upgradable units but probably still Gb or 10Gb i most roads.

Congrats to 3bb though, many would sell what they know cant be delivered, they are being true and fair.

since when has ANY ad or promotion been correct or a product or service been available for what it is advertised as in Thailand? NEVER...

100% BS very time. And even if it was, it is not in stock.

I get 30Mbps from 3bb downloading newsgroups in the USA.. so you wont hear me complain they deliver exactly as advertised.

Too bad they throttle speeds after 17.00

Anyway I am happy with them even though its not always perfect.

If 100000 MBPS was available people would want it and complain that only 800000 MBPS works !

People always want more but for what ??? To have a chance to complain again when the line is down ?

Just take 2 or 3 Adsl providers, its cheaper and your Internet will never be done ! Anyway who needs faster connection than Adsl for what most people are doing online...

I could understand the distance issue if it was copper cable for velocity propagation and signal loss/collision reasons, but if it truly was fibre all the way to the door then surely the difference should be negligible(?).

I use True internet near to city centre (rated at 30Mbit, really about 1/3rd of that on average). It's okay, decent up time, and not bad enough to make me look elsewhere. Had the same bait and switch with every provider though, including my home country. Over the years the quality seems to improve and the price stays the same or better.

I wonder how much the switch ports are oversubscibed in the Thai telecoms, knowing that 95% of their customers will probably never use more than 10% of the bandwidth they've bought. This is generally not an issue until many subscribers on the same switch port want to use every bit of the bandwidth they've paid for, and then it becomes a bottleneck.

Op. You're lucky. 3BB can't even upgrade my service from 10/1/2 to 15/1.. And no fibre!

But to be fair to them the service is at least fairly stable.

Well your lucky as well,after 4 years of Wifi service from 3BB,the provider did a runner,the school,me and a mate have nthing from them.The mate is owed 3 months on 1 year contract.Now using,pocke wifi.The other lot wont even come out to check and TOT want 8 ready customers.

Op. You're lucky. 3BB can't even upgrade my service from 10/1/2 to 15/1.. And no fibre!

Well your lucky as well,after 4 years of Wifi service from 3BB,the provider did a runner,the school,me and a mate have nthing from them.The mate is owed 3 months on 1 year contract.Now using,pocke wifi.The other lot wont even come out to check and TOT want 8 ready customers.

3BB did a runner. Wow.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

What! I'm guessing that it was school WiFi through a 3rd party supplier and a server. Because otherwise it seems strange that 3BB would come along and actually REMOVE wires and equipment!

More information please?