TOT Fiber - Modem into Bridge Mode and/or Fort Forwarding ?

roog

Hi

Just had a TOT fiber connection installed with the ZTE F600 modem. My old connections (CAT Hinet SHDSL and TOT ADSL) and provided modems (Billion BIPAC 5210S from TOT and Zyxel P700 from CAT) both permitted a bridge WAN connection. Thus I was able to make my port forwarding on the D-link router running DDWRT.

Now the supplied ZTE F600 does not allow bridge mode. Question - is anyone aware of a firmware upgrade to provide this ?

If not, I can possibly run the PPPOE connection from the provided modem, but would need to enable port forwarding on it. The config does allow the forwarding rules to be set up, but all efforts to get this working have failed. It appears that this package is blocking any non standard ports, indeed even port 80 cannot be forwarded to my webserver running behind the modem. Has anyone had sucess with port forwarding with this device?

Strangely this tool http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ shows some ports open, but any attempt to actually reach the application from outside are denied.

Appreciate any pointers !

Regards

you can call tot in songkhla and ask them to change the modem to 'bit mode' 074536480 - 074200698 .

don't change the word bit mode to bridge or anything else, when the operator will type bit mode in the interface he/she will transfer your call to a technician who'll do it remotely.

don't forget to ask them what the username and password is :)

If NHJ's suggestion doesn't get traction,

...the F600 should support DMZ HOST. You can redirect normally blocked traffic gets passed to a single IP or MAC address within your LAN. I know it's not what you wanted, but it may be an option if you want to take a look at it.

...alternatively, you can ask that your 'router' be swapped out for a 'fiber optic media converter'. ThaiVisa user KhunBENQ had one put on his Fiber subscription (item 4 in photo) that is then connected to a standard Ethernet router.

Started by kilt, 2015-01-19 14:40

20748947oe.jpg

Thank you NHK RichCor and GinBoy2.

I'll call to request the bit mode tomorrow - it sounds promising.

I got port forwarding working - I think I corrupted the table by using both basic and advanced config options. After restoring config and only using advanced it's working. Test results were further complicated as the modem doesnt allow enablement of loopback. Can only verify from an outside WAN connection. Though incoming port 80 remains blocked, forwarding/mapping a random port to 80 works.

I have a TOT supplied ZTE F660 and that is in bridge mode.

To switch to bridge mode TOT technicians came to my house but they didn't configure the ZTE themselves. They made a call to the network centre and it was done from there. Took them just a couple of minutes.

If it is a high speed connection and you're really using the bandwidth for things like torrents you will need a reasonably powerful router otherwise it will easily be overwhelmed and you will start to see high latency with web browsing etc.

An alternative to bridge mode on the supplied modem, is to let it use PPPoE or regular login, but then shut off all other non-essential services like WLAN and DHCP server.

Then connect a router-only device as a static IP connection to the modem. Then let the router handle everything.

The router and modem login IPs need to be different....usually modem is 192.168.1.1 and routers are 192.168.0.1.....it just has to be different.

Anyhow, you can access both device's control panel or config panel with this method by visiting their respective IP address in web browser. If you used bridge mode on the modem, you likely have to do a factory reset to be able to access the config panel again.

With a decent router like D-link DIR-605L, you'll hardly ever need to restart the setup.

BTW, is Fiber Optic worth it vs ADSL? What kind of int'l speeds are you getting? How much did everything cost for install and initial setup?

Thank you all for the replies. I put the call in to TOT to have the modem put in to "BIT" mode and an engineer called at our place the next day. I wasn't in at the time so didn't see what he actually did. Anyway, it appeared as if the modem was simply reset such that the pppoe connection had been removed (there was no BRIDGE option under WAN connections). I connected the WAN of the ddwrt to LAN of the F600 (using the old pppoe TOT credentials). TOT IP address was obtained. Next day I called TOT support again to ask for the pppoe password which was given and all is working fine now.

Anyway as somebody was asking, what's TOT fiber like ? Well, for our internet cafe we're going to stick with CAT's SHDSL 2Mb/2Mb service which is far superior for browsing european and US websites and skype-ing which is what most of our customers need. We'll continue to switch the network to TOT when CAT is down, and otherwise use it for torrent downwloads (switiching back to CAT for the uploads), and my wife and daughter use it for youtube and accessing thai websites. I get 16Mb/5Mb on the TOT fiber but don't know what plan we're on, but it's only 499B monthly. Summary - Everyday browsing of overseas websites plus skype etc, CAT SHDSL wins. TOT copper to fiber upgrade has made no difference, except for BT downloads and surfing inside Thailand.

Off-topic, but one advantage of fibre which hasn't been covered as yet is that it doesn't conduct electricity. So no path for nasty surges into your expensive equipment via the phone line :)

Obviously, the mains supply is still a route in, so get out the surge arrestors.

Anyway as somebody was asking, what's TOT fiber like ? Well, for our internet cafe we're going to stick with CAT's SHDSL 2Mb/2Mb service which is far superior for browsing european and US websites and skype-ing which is what most of our customers need. We'll continue to switch the network to TOT when CAT is down, and otherwise use it for torrent downwloads (switiching back to CAT for the uploads), and my wife and daughter use it for youtube and accessing thai websites. I get 16Mb/5Mb on the TOT fiber but don't know what plan we're on, but it's only 499B monthly. Summary - Everyday browsing of overseas websites plus skype etc, CAT SHDSL wins. TOT copper to fiber upgrade has made no difference, except for BT downloads and surfing inside Thailand.

Is the CAT SHDSL 2Mb/2Mb faster or more stable? Never heard of it.....why only 2Mb down.

Armonia Resort installed a 50MB line from TOT back when they first built the result., not sure it it was copper or fiber optic

Is the CAT SHDSL 2Mb/2Mb faster or more stable? Never heard of it.....why only 2Mb down.

Armonia Resort installed a 50MB line from TOT back when they first built the result., not sure it it was copper or fiber optic

CAT's SHDSL runs at those speeds consistently unlike TOT's 15Mb which is so variable. Same upload speed as download because synchronous. Hinet - http://www.catinternet.in.th/cat_hinet.html at 2. G.SHDSL (Symmetrical Highs – Speed Digital Subscriber Line)

• 1 year later...
On 21.6.2015 at 6:10 PM, RichCor said:

Many consumer routers use port 80 for webconfig, and hardcode port 80 to redirect internally, even on the incoming WAN port.

I know this post is 2 years old. I did exactly what RichCor adviced and I knew the ZTE (I have the F600) is very slow.

Today in the morning I called TOT  for using the "BIT mode", 2 hous later!! the technician came. He did a phone call and the ZTE was switched to "BIT mode" I got a password, changed my OpenWRT Router to PPoE and Bingo. Now I can manage everything in my TP-Link Router. My wife is using TOT IP TV, she said it is a bit quicker when she is switching between the channels.

Thanks