Honda CBR 650f

kannot

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interestingly many people talk about the limited functionality of the stock Michelin tires that come on the bike which have purely a touring tread and not even a sport touring tread. I was tempted to change to a set of Pirelli Rosso II knowing they are a much stickier tire. But then I thought I might as well ride on these a bit first and see how they go on the road before I drop 13,000 Baht on a set of Pirelli skins since I'm not planning any track riding at the moment. Granted, I'm not doing any really hard cornering most of the time, but I must say that on the road I have found the Michelin stock tires very adequate and not lacking at all. Eventually I will put a more aggressive tire on the bike when these wear out. But for now I'm happy to use them for the time being.

Congratulations on the new bike. Ride it in good health!

Thanks, Ill be riding it round my land for a few weeks yet ( i have my own road 700 metres long) to get used to it, havent had a big bike for about 7 years now and seems a bit weird after the scooter, seat feels kind of high but i suppose it isnt Im 5-11 and a half. I also have to adjust the throttle cable I dont like any slack in them and they usually arrive with a bit of slack, am fighting to get the seat off ,I saw some other folk had a problem but Im sure ill sort that out tomorrow. I got the rear seat cowl on and used the rama 3 Bigwing who did a better delivery price than the other branch by almost half and gave me a free paddock stand.

I actually adjusted the preload on the back spring on mine to remove the sag and mine feels really high, but I like it that way.

Yes, I removed all the throttle cable slack on mine as well as some slack in the clutch which stretched a bit more even after the first 500KM.

The seat is no problem. After you unlock it with the key then pull backward instead of upward. It comes off very easily after you get used to it. And to put it back on you need to come at it in the reverse way. Once you fit the teeth in then push down to lock the seat, but you must first move it into place by putting it in at a sideways angle going from backwards to forwards.

Go easy with it. Take your time to get used to it. It won't be long I'm sure before you feel comfortable in the saddle. But it's a lot of power and has a lot of torque. So go easy at first. Get the feel of the balance of the weight and your all set.

Edited by WingNut

A positive ride in the drivers opinion.thumbsup.gif

Yes. He's a funny guy. Never forgot his ride on a MT09. He (had) been only riding about a year and it scared him sh!tless.

I drive, since I am 17 Big Sport Bikes, for 36 years, the last big one, I owned a 1998 R1 Yamaha,

sold it 2010.

I drove until just recently never a fuel injected big bike or a bike with ABS.

The Yamaha FZ09 in the standard mode is a funny strong accelerating bike with very good torque,

but, I have to say, I prefer it (age?) less rushed.

More or less, I made also my decision and will go for the Honda CB 650 F.

Good possibility I buy the bike in Phuket, they had been nice to me and not in Udon Thani, they treated me different and drive the bike up in the Isaan myself, First Tour.

The salesman offered me even to put my name on his house papers, so I could easy get the bike in my name. smile.png

Until that proceedings run I would get a red number plate with the right papers which would allow me to drive to the Isaan.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826754-ducati-monster-821-yamaha-mt-09-kawasaki-z-800-which-one/page-10

Edited by ALFREDO

Be careful, there is a break in period for the first 500KM where you are not supposed to drive above 6,000 RPM and should vary the speed. Perhaps a long road trip going from Phuket to Udon might not be the best thing for a brand new bike until it is broken in. Also, if you buy the bike in Phuket will they give you good service in Udon? Things I would wonder about. I think if it were me I would try and buy the bike from the closest dealer to me in case of any problems. But that is just me. Also, your bike will have a license plate from Phuket. That might be a problem each year when you need to renew the registration and tax disc. You will have to go to Phuket once a year to do that.

When I first had a bike break in was below 4 k then up to 6k then full blast.

Anyway after I adjusted the throttle so there is no slack its way better, yesterday it was way to lurchy for me, today its nice and smooth, brakes seem a bit feeble at the moment but its on new pads so probably need some time to settle down.

Pulls very nicely even from tickover

Ratchapreuk is the branch on the Ram Intra Highway? There is a branch on Rama 3 too I think.

The Rama 3 crowd were way more accommodating than the other branch in BKK, they threw in a few little extras and unlike the other branch who told me I couldnt buy one without a whole host of papers Rama3 told me exactly what they needed and it was done and delivered in 3 days down to Pranburi, even their delivery was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than the other branch.

Be careful, there is a break in period for the first 500KM where you are not supposed to drive above 6,000 RPM and should vary the speed. Perhaps a long road trip going from Phuket to Udon might not be the best thing for a brand new bike until it is broken in. Also, if you buy the bike in Phuket will they give you good service in Udon? Things I would wonder about. I think if it were me I would try and buy the bike from the closest dealer to me in case of any problems. But that is just me. Also, your bike will have a license plate from Phuket. That might be a problem each year when you need to renew the registration and tax disc. You will have to go to Phuket once a year to do that.

Thank you for your advice.

Not my first new bike and I believe, bikes from the 1980is

(1980 Moto Guzzi Le Mans special 1000 cc edition)

needed much more careful running of their first 1.500 km, then bikes today.

You can also drive a bike to careful in its first 1.000 km, also not so good.

Anyway the first 100+ km would be on Phuket and then to 600+ km from Phuket to Ranong

and Chumphon on the seaside, not much better road to run a new bike in that curves and small hill roads. thumbsup.gif

Good service in Udon? They showed me the cold shoulder once. I have my attitude. tongue.png

The sales people are not the mechanics, some hundred Baht tip to them and the 650 will be taken care very well. smile.png

I will go there so Honda is happy with their 2 year Guaranty, something wrong,

I will be the first to call into Honda Big Wing Bangkok.whistling.gif

I know a small and nice motor bike mechanic in Udon, who treated my Honda CBR 400R until now,

I think that Honda engine is not too sophisticated for him, should questions come.

The Phuket license plate I will change to a Udon plate in time, if I stay in Udon.

Edited by ALFREDO

Also, cops may hassle you more in Udon if you have a Phuket plate and tell you to change to Udon if you are living in Udon. Plus to get the permanent plate when it arrives after a month at the fewer in Phuket may require another trip down there to pick it up. I went through all this headache once when I bought a bike in Pattaya while living in Bangkok. Rather not do it again. Good luck.

If you have a mechanic service the bike outside of one of the Big Wing service centers you may void the warranty. I advise all repairs and service be done by big wing only to preserve your warranty.

-WingNut-

The regular checks for warranty will be made in Honda Big Wing, same it is necessary.

I wrote "I will go there so Honda is happy with their 2-year Guaranty,"

After that, up to me in the years following if I not satisfied enough.

Also, cops may hassle you more in Udon if you have a Phuket plate and tell you to change to Udon if you are living in Udon. Plus to get the permanent plate when it arrives after a month at the fewer in Phuket may require another trip down there to pick it up. I went through all this headache once when I bought a bike in Pattaya while living in Bangkok. Rather not do it again. Good luck.

I drove my Honda CBR 400 R,

Phuket number plate in the name of my EX-Chayaphum GF for 11 years in Phuket, she not registered in Phuket since 9? years, no problem.

I drove that bike with Phuket number plate for 3 years in Udon Thani, no problem at all.

I think not paid Tax or insurance same long. No complaints, I was seldom stopped with the bike

Once even drove through the roadblock without stopping. Nothing happened. rolleyes.gif

The salesperson told me, he would pick up the number plate and send me as soon as he got it,

I would send the red plate to him.

Then its up to me, if and when I changed the registration.

So we will see. smile.png

Alfredo - I think general warranty may only be 1 year on a CBR650F and up to 3 years on certain parts. Also, I was stopped last night on the road in Bangkok by a police checkpoint. The policeman asked to see my license, tax disc, ownership paper, and insurance for the bike. Good luck.

Are there not restrictions about riding with a red plate?

Bangkok doesn't give red plates. Some provinces like Chonburi do. It depends. I drove my bike for a month in Bangkok without any plate at all before I received the plate. I was told to drive with a copy of my purchase receipt for the bike to shot to police if I got stopped before I received the plate.

Are there not restrictions about riding with a red plate?

Was told from the salesperson, who surely did that more than once.

I would get papers from him which should satisfy police.

Alfredo - I think general warranty may only be 1 year on a CBR650F and up to 3 years on certain parts. Also, I was stopped last night on the road in Bangkok by a police checkpoint. The policeman asked to see my license, tax disc, ownership paper, and insurance for the bike. Good luck.

Had been told 2 years warranty - did not hear more.

I do not know until now, that I have to have my ownership paper with me.

Would not even have known where they are from my old Honda CBR 400R, also I never drove myself with a motorbike near Bangkok.

There are stickers, or there had been for tax and insurance an extra paper I had never with me.

So I would have failed and paid, less to him and more in the station or makeshift road block desk. rolleyes.gif

Should be similar with a car.

Stickers for insurance and tax and ownership paper? Possibly with the car company still, as the car is on a loan.wink.png

Everyone I know that has one is selling it. I think it looks good but that's all. Lots of used ones for sale online.

OK,

so these you know - what are they doing after the sale?

(I only interested in people who sell and buy and drive motorbikes in Thailand of course.)

Stop driving motorbikes? Or what are they buying then? Like to buy then?

For the lots - used ones online, please give me some link(s).

I would prefer the CB650F by the way.

Thank you.

Edited by ALFREDO

For the lots - used ones online, please give me some link(s).

visit this group and search "cb650f" or "cbr650f" in the group search function

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigbikemarket/

you can find plenty for sale... usually a new one pops up every week for 250-270k with lots of aftermarket addons

but i dont really feel like they are being sold any more frequently than anything else... TONS of er6ns for sale and z800s and ducati monsters too

• 2 weeks later...

You wont go wrong with a Honda. In the past I've been fortunate enough to own Aprilia, Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph and Yamaha motorcycles. I've had single, parallel, in line for machines, V4 and V twin machines, in both two stroke and four stroke. Funny enough, I was never drawn to the Suzuki's, although they do make nice machines, it just never panned out that way.

I had a couple of CBRs in the 600, 900, 954 and 1000 cc and the BBird. I also had the VFR 750 800 and I'm currently looking at their big brother, the 1200 version at the moment. But that would be for touring around merry old England, and definitely not for here. Honda make superb bikes and I've always been impressed wit them, as you can probably tell.

That's a few of the bikes I've had, without going into an exhaustive and comprehensive list, as biking has been a passion of mine for 40 odd years. Honda has always been synonymous with high quality finish and excellent build quality. Saying that though, the other manufacturers have caught up, and its pretty close now, but in general have found that the Honda is still out in the lead when it comes to quality. They seem to be more durable when it comes to being exposed to the elements.

This is certainly the case in England, when come winter time, the gritters come out to clear the roads. I'm not totally biased to Honda's, as the few Kwaks and Yamaha's I've had, were an absolute blast! I like anything on two wheels, and I'm not dismissive of any bike. Even a decent old classic like Velocette can be great to bomb around on, providing that she's well maintained of course.

Any 650 machine will be more than adequate for the roads in TL. Personally I'd be going for the inline 4 over the Kawas parallel twin. The inline four has a nice note to it compared to the twin. Right better scoot here, work beckons.

Everyone I know that has one is selling it. I think it looks good but that's all. Lots of used ones for sale online.

I'm thinking of the cbr 650f. I'm probably going to buy new from Big Wing Rama 3 but also keepin my eyes on the used market for the next couple of weeks.

I see one or two on mocyc.com occasianally however it looks like they get purchased pretty quickly. There are no repeat add's (like there are for Gixxer 1000's etc).

Can you post a couple of links?

Maybe you're better at searching t'internetz than I am!

I'm thinking of the cbr 650f. I'm probably going to buy new from Big Wing Rama 3 but also keepin my eyes on the used market for the next couple of weeks.

I see one or two on mocyc.com occasianally however it looks like they get purchased pretty quickly. There are no repeat add's (like there are for Gixxer 1000's etc).

Can you post a couple of links?

Maybe you're better at searching t'internetz than I am!

In my opinion, buy new if you can afford it. It is nice getting a brand new bike that nobody has ridden before. To save 15% and buy a used bike that you don't know the history would not be the way I would go. If the savings was greater, like 50% or more then yes, but in my opinion the savings is not enough to take a risk on a used bike. Used bikes hold their value here in Thailand much more than in the West. Good if you own one, bad if you want to buy one.

My Report back after a few weeks, hmmmmmmmm well I havent used it too much but Ive been busy, it runs very hot even at 100kph its belting out heat, frame gets pretty darned hot to touch , Brakes are great, power is enough for me staying well below 6k, I changed the oil already at 200km done 260km now.

I like the looks of it, not keen on the turning circle as handlebars go into the tank and I dont have double jointed wrists.

Black wheels get dusty real fast and I liked the old 3 spokers as they were much easier to clean.

Overall these are minor things.......its luuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrvly really, bought the RED Shark helmet pro carbon which matches the bike, no plans for any aftermarket stuff I always think they make the bike s look more crap.

At 1000km Ill drive down to Surat Thani Big Bike for service rather than BKK, Im at Pranburi and though its farther it will be easier.

• 1 month later...

Have you ridden one? I have one and it is NOT FOR SALE. Great bike. Handles brilliantly and has saved me from a lot of agressive, dangerous Thai driving.

Have you ridden one? I have one and it is NOT FOR SALE. Great bike. Handles brilliantly and has saved me from a lot of agressive, dangerous Thai driving.

I agree very easy to ride , pulls off at tick-over, perfect for Thailand, Im up to 860km now and will start to go over 6k a bit, then another oil and filter change to synthetic and thats it, Im not going to bother taking it to a dealer even if it voids warranty Im quite happy to service it myself and at least that way I know whats what unless I get a major electrical problem ( yes I know about the starter relay)

I bought the oil and 2 filters from Big wing BK and kept all receipts just incase.

Glad you're enjoying the bike. I Bought mine last weekend and have just put 260km on the clock. I'm going for the hard break-in though. I've taken it up to 10/11k through 1-4 gears, haven't managed to get near that in 5th or 6th though.

You're right the turnng cicle isn't great however I can live with that, this bike loves to be riden fast, I think it pulls pretty well on anything over 3000 rpm to be honest.

I'm loving mine so far.

You've done an oil change already?