Going To Uni In Bkk

drummer

I was thinking of this before all the visa stuff happened, and am considering it over the next year-3. I have 3 yers of Uni completed before I dropped out. While it was a good move for my drumming (thats why I dropped out - i actually truly enjoy school) I now see many avenues that i would like to persue that require degrees. So i am thinking of going back and finishing up my degree. I might do it in the States, but I would like to see what the story on schools out here is as well.

Anyway, what are the better named Unis around here and what do they charge? Thanks

I'm familiar with some of the big universities here, and as jdinasia states, is your Thai sufficient to study in them? Masters & PhD levels in the technical fields are often in English but won't help in your case. What area of study? Also, don't know what the status of getting NON-ED visas are now and even then I believe you will have to renew them every 90 days (don't think 1-year extensions are available for this - but not sure).

Forgot to mention that I work at Chiangmai University and it is one of the largest and have a variety of fields to study in. Such as business, engineering, sciences. Another question is what it will require to be accepted at these 'bigger' universities. Entry is not that easy.

Edited by tywais

I'm familiar with some of the big universities here, and as jdinasia states, is your Thai sufficient to study in them? Masters & PhD levels in the technical fields are often in English but won't help in your case. What area of study? Also, don't know what the status of getting NON-ED visas are now and even then I believe you will have to renew them every 90 days (don't think 1-year extensions are available for this - but not sure).

You can easily get a Non-Imm-ED Multi in the USA if you are accepted to ANY real school (recognized by the MoE) and as long as you are a student they will extend your permission to stay.

(:o personal experience as a student here)

You can easily get a Non-Imm-ED Multi in the USA if you are accepted to ANY real school (recognized by the MoE) and as long as you are a student they will extend your permission to stay.

(:o personal experience as a student here)

Thanks for that info, good to know.

To the OP, I have seen farangs in university school clothes here but don't know what they are studying and if in Thai. Will check when I get to the university Monday.

Edited by tywais

oh ... BTW ---- There IS a USA Acreditted Uni here in Thailand ---- Webster <based in St Louis> with an undergrad program in ChaAm <near HuaHin> and they have a program for MBA's in BKK. <cannot reccomend them ... but the folks are nice in ChaAm!>

I would recommend not attending Thai schools since the degree would probably not mean much abroad. You'ld be better off taking 'internet classes' from one of the many US schools that offer degrees online. You can actually get US student loans while taking classes online from an internet cafe in Pattaya!

Of course this doesn't solve the visa problem, so presumably it would be best to live in Phnom Penh while 'studying'.

I'd probably study music. If I went with a harder science, I'd probably go back home. Honestly, I don't have much faith in the need to have a music degree ... thats exactly why I dropped out. But I see now that it really helps to get a job teaching drum lessons, which I truly enjoy, and significantly helps to stabilize income fluctuations... I taught for 5 years back home, but can't get a job out here to save my life! (even with a reasonably impressive resume)

(it would be nice to improve my piano playing, though, and my singing - that part of going back to school is really attractive, although, like drumming, I could probably do better faster on my own... )