Buddhist monks seek to ban schoolgirls from wearing headscarves in Burma

Jonathan Fairfield

Buddhist monks seek to ban schoolgirls from wearing headscarves in Burma

RANGOON:-- Influential group of monks also plans to encourage people to vote for candidates who ‘will not let our race and religion disappear’ in this year’s elections.

An influential group of Buddhist monks in Burma is proposing to ban Muslim schoolgirls from wearing headscarves, in the latest sign of growing religious tension in the country.

The Organisation for the Protection of Race and Religion, a panel of monks known locally by the acronym Ma Ba Tha, said the headscarves were “not in line with school discipline”.

Ma Ba Tha held a conference in Rangoon at the weekend. Some 1,300 monks from monasteries around the country gathered to discuss plans to promote a nationalist agenda as the country heads toward landmark elections later this year.

In a list of recommendations released late on Sunday, Ma Ba Tha told its members to lobby the government to put further restrictions on the country’s beleaguered Muslims, and included references to the wearing of either headscarves or burqas.

Great initiative, that's gonna really endear the southern states to the rest of Thailand.

Why not enforce pork sandwich Tuesdays in every school too. While you are at it, why not go the whole hog and proclaim Mohamed a false prophet, unlike those reincarnated monks who fly around in private jets, who are the real deal BTW.

clap2.gif

Due to the ongoing political situation, Burmese monks had to, and became at the basis of change in the country. This group has clearly taken things too far and should read the Thipitaka a bit better. Especially the part about right conduct for monks and the tolerance of other religions.

Sirocco. That's part of the problem many Muslims around the world cannot read the Quran as it's in Arabic. So they rely on clerics, who can and have distorted the readings. There are of course translations of the Koran.. But these are the translators versions and can be different from each other. Many Muslims do not consider them to be the word of Mohammed.

I have read some of the Koran ( translated version) and its fiery stuff.

Calsual,

I was answering rebelplatoon who advised the Buddhist monks to have a more open mind.

I quoted in parallel Islam and Sharia which is spreading at an great speed and more open mind.

For information, I perfectly know the Arab world and its religions.

rebelplatoon,
Ah! good, because the Muslim religion is tolerant with others.
By introducing the Sharia ?????? beatdeadhorse.gifph34r.png
Muslims should read the Koran. Finally, if they are able to read !!!!!!!

Well the girls should not be taught to read, or anything else. It spoils their suitability to be child brides for good muslim men.

Calsual,

I was answering rebelplatoon who advised the Buddhist monks to have a more open mind.

I quoted in parallel Islam and Sharia which is spreading at an great speed and more open mind.

For information, I perfectly know the Arab world and its religions.

Are you suggesting that Islam and Sharia are open minded options?

Sirocco. That's part of the problem many Muslims around the world cannot read the Quran as it's in Arabic. So they rely on clerics, who can and have distorted the readings. There are of course translations of the Koran.. But these are the translators versions and can be different from each other. Many Muslims do not consider them to be the word of Mohammed.

Same as The Bible then.

Great initiative, that's gonna really endear the southern states to the rest of Thailand.

Why not enforce pork sandwich Tuesdays in every school too. While you are at it, why not go the whole hog and proclaim Mohamed a false prophet, unlike those reincarnated monks who fly around in private jets, who are the real deal BTW.

clap2.gif

you couldnt wait..you even got the wrong country who are you george bush jnr

Same as The Bible then.

Yep , the Catholics priests did the same a few hundred years ago , anyone wanting to find the truth got a good slap or burnt at the stake.

Same as The Bible then.

Probably the same publishing house! It was a big deal for war and blood and guts adventures at that time!

Ancient Murdoch publishing maybe!

France has forbidden the headscarf (hijab) and keep trying to enforce it. They are making headway last time I checked. Other countries have or are planning to do the same. It is male subjugation of women ... Banning the hijab is non predominate Muslim countries seems fine to me ... It should be done in every non Muslim dominate country.

they enforce this in some european countries which i think is great ..integrate or go

Same way farangs integrate in LOS. :-)

I don't know many farangs that parade in the streets insisting that the laws be changed to a farangs version of Sharia.. Do you?

Many don't learn the language sure BUT they generally don't want THEIR religious or personal beliefs foisted on the locals either!

These Burmese monks need to be reined in for they are an insult to the spirit of Buddhism like the Taliban are to Islam. Tolerance, compassion, patience, detachment and wisdom are the hallmarks of Buddhist thought and practice but these monks have become entangled in the lowest worldly prejudices and practices. I hope they get the message and begin their real work of bringing peace and understanding to a country in transition and turmoil....

Apparently some are ignorant of their own religions, because they have never read or searched. Most what Islam is criticized for is in Christianism and Judaism. Do some efforts and go teach yourself.

Edited by Petchou

Apparently some are ignorant of their own religions, because they have never read or searched. Most what Islam is criticized for is in Christianson and Judaism. Do some efforts and go teach yourself.

Christians and Jews have learned (at least most of them) to vent their bigotry in a non-violent fashion and can be almost sidestepped in society by non-believers.

Yes the Christians were hopelessly inhumanly violent and bent on wholesale persecution for centuries right up to the 17th century. Hopefully most of us have learned from their mistakes. A few notable exceptions even in the 20th century.

What is the excuse for violent assimilation or extermination of "non-believers" in the 21st century???

Apparently some are ignorant of their own religions, because they have never read or searched. Most what Islam is criticized for is in Christianson and Judaism. Do some efforts and go teach yourself.

Christians and Jews have learned (at least most of them) to vent their bigotry in a non-violent fashion and can be almost sidestepped in society by non-believers.

Yes the Christians were hopelessly inhumanly violent and bent on wholesale persecution for centuries right up to the 17th century. Hopefully most of us have learned from their mistakes. A few notable exceptions even in the 20th century.

What is the excuse for violent assimilation or extermination of "non-believers" in the 21st century???

Really :-)

I didn't know fascism and Nazism stopped in 17th century. Kkk and other supremacists group don't exist it's only a fiction....

Distortions of history or minds? Just wondering

Same as The Bible then.

Actually, no, it is not remotely the same as the bible. It is not even close. The torah and bible are epochs reflecting god's dispensation to now, the latest one was Christ's teaching for the Christians, and the torah Deuteronomy stuff is meaningless because there has never been a duty to export, exploit, rape, conquer, enslave and slaughter every one else on earth who refused to wear and yarmulke. Elohim does not mandate them to do this, nor does Adam, Isaiah, etc. Al Lah, the god of the moon, not the god of Christians and jews, mandates these things through the actual, verbatim, literal words of Al Lah in the koran. The koran is not recollection. It is not prophets. The koran is the word of god alone through Gabriel thru the islamic prophet to the ears of the faithful.

The koran is a blueprint for war upon which the savagery was justified by extrapolating a complex, highly developed justice system out of the mandates of their god requiring slavery, murder, rape, slaves, a chain of being with women only being slightly above dogs, and jews with pigs and apes. This is not a practice that existed in 631, it was present in 632, 1302, 1602, 1802, 2002, 2015... the call to jihad in the House of War is a fundamental imperative for muslims. It is not the same as the bible. I have no use for any of them but it is just not correct that anyone could intellectually marry the two, and be able to support that marriage.

... not the same.

The koran must exist in the arabic language. Laxity has made translations available but they are frowned upon and the vernacular can never replace the arabic for worship. So it is true many can recite the koran but not know the meaning. What is the difference if the violent words and injunctions arrive at the ears of one man or 20 at the same time? What is the difference if each man perused the documents or every 10th man could read and told the others what is said? It is supposed then there would be variation in the meaning and injunctions to war upon others? This is not supported by what facts already exist. Islam has existed for a very long time and all the people who can read arabic or grasp its meaning have warred upon the world nonstop since. Why would we suppose that many not knowing what it actually says would make any more difference than select imams telling them what it says? I think this is a red herring.