US airlines collect record-setting amount in bag and change fees

webfact

US airlines collect record-setting amount in bag and change fees

WASHINGTON: -- US airlines set a new record in the first three months of 2015 by collecting $1.6 billion from plane passengers who checked suitcases or made changes to their flight reservations.

That amount is up 7.4 percent from the same period last year even though January to March is usually the slowest period for air travel.

That's also the highest amount for the first quarter since bag fees started in 2008, according to data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

The fees climbed, in part, because more passengers flew at the start of the year and 3.2 percent more seats were filled.

The airlines also increased some fees and forced more passengers to pay them.

While the standard fee for the first checked suitcase remains $25, fees have been going up for the second or third checked bag or for overweight luggage.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/60551/us-airlines-collect-record-setting-amount-bag-and-change-fees

-- eTN 2015-06-23

Oh do I know it well, made an error in my return leg from LAX to BKK with ANA and they asked

more that what the whole ticket cost to move the return one day forward,

so yes, no surprise there,

I believe that ANA is a Japanese Carrier.

:)

Actually it's budget airlines in general. I was persuaded to stay over in Australia longer than planned and Jetstar charged me the price of a new ticket for the change.

But that's how they work.

Simple answer is, if you want to fly budget, stick to your plans and baggage allowance.

Or screw them and fly a proper airline, where you pay more for your ticket but you get a generous baggage allowance and no change penalties.

I don't see what the fuss is about. To me they're making $1.6 Billion out of primarily dumb people.

It's not like all these "hidden" charges are really that well hidden.

Agree, sometimes the appearance of a cheap flight is alluring however after adding up all the extras, there is not much difference from a full price flight. If there is any chance that your plans will change, never go budget.

I believe that ANA is a Japanese Carrier.

smile.png

Actually it's budget airlines in general. I was persuaded to stay over in Australia longer than planned and Jetstar charged me the price of a new ticket for the change.

But that's how they work.

Simple answer is, if you want to fly budget, stick to your plans and baggage allowance.

Or screw them and fly a proper airline, where you pay more for your ticket but you get a generous baggage allowance and no change penalties.

I don't see what the fuss is about. To me they're making $1.6 Billion out of primarily dumb people.

It's not like all these "hidden" charges are really that well hidden.

A fat guy/lady - 150 kg - with no checked suitcase pays only for the flight ticket.

A slim guy/lady - 50-60 kg - with 1 checked luggage pays for the ticket and an additional fee for the suitcase - 20 kg i.e.

That's very logical biggrin.png .... ehmmm economical.

Edited by puck2