Follow topic needs to be chosen manually

tropo

This has gone on for years already and it is still not fixed. When I post on a thread it should be automatically followed, but it isn't and I have to select "follow this post" manually. To make matters worse, sometimes it does follow automatically, sometimes it doesn't.

I do find using the Notification Panel a little confusing as well - it could be alot simpler.

When I quote someone in a post, even though I'm following the Thread, it doesn't 'alert' me.

Is this finger trouble...or an issue with Notifications?

I'd say there's definitely a bug in the system.

Just in case someone asks:

Yes, under "notification preferences" I have selected: Auto follow topics I reply to. Notification frequency: Immediate

Windows 7 x64: All updates applied. Cache emptied regularly. Browser: Chrome

Edited by tropo

There was an ongoing software glitch with the notification system.

A 'patch' or update was recently applied as a fix. While this may help with receiving future notifications it won't help with past topic/threads as the forum database wasn't being properly updated so no data exists on user notification options on those topics/threads.

Manually selecting "Follow this topic" in those topics/threads is the valid work-around.

This problem is current, today. No topics I reply to are automatically followed. This problem has been ongoing for years, ever since they changed the platform. I just didn't bother reporting it before.

Edited by tropo

I your instance you may want to contact support(at)thaivisa.com, and after including your thaivisa username and the email address used for notifications, outline the issues you've been experiencing (or not experiencing as the case may be) and ask them for help in resolving the issue so an admin can respond.

It may be your user profile is misconfigured in the forum database (from day one).

Since the recent forum notification glitch was just repaired, only newly created topics/threads are currently giving notifications.

Even if they find an issue with your profile configuration it won't solve notifications with past topics ... only a manual 'follow' (as you have done) will update the database and get it to work.

When I quote someone in a post, even though I'm following the Thread, it doesn't 'alert' me.

I don't think this type of notification is available for selection. After all, it is you who made the and there should be no need for you to get notified that you made it.

I your instance you may want to contact support(at)thaivisa.com, and after including your thaivisa username and the email address used for notifications, outline the issues you've been experiencing (or not experiencing as the case may be) and ask them for help in resolving the issue so an admin can respond.

I posted in this forum to bring it to the attention of Support. i.e. This is the "forum support desk".

I thought that was the purpose of this forum. My email address and profile is available in my profile.

Edited by tropo

Emailing is faster and the preferred method for individual technical issues especially since it may require personal information.

You are marked to follow all topics you reply to but you have only selected inline notifications. You may wish to also select push notifications. and if you want it emailed you need to select that as it is currently not selected

I don't think this type of notification is available for selection. After all, it is you who made the and there should be no need for you to get notified that you made it.

What I mean is that if I quote someone & add a comment or question, then when they reply, I don't recieve a Notification that they have replied.

I don't want to constantly check the Thread, when sometimes the other replies may not be of direct interest.

The Forum sometimes seems 'sluggish' in this respect. smile.png

Emailing is faster and the preferred method for individual technical issues especially since it may require personal information.

You are marked to follow all topics you reply to but you have only selected inline notifications. You may wish to also select push notifications. and if you want it emailed you need to select that as it is currently not selected

There's no hurry, so if a resolution takes longer here, I don't mind. How do you know this is an individual technical issue? It's quite probably a forum bug because I post from many different computers - some of which are running clean installs of Windows 7 on new hard drives - so wouldn't it suit your purposes better to have a discussion about it here.

I don't see any available selection for "push notifications" and don't know why I would want that. Under notification preferences I only see 2 possible selections: "notification list" and "email". Why would I want to select push notifications? I don't use tablets or phones to post or view Thaivisa forum.

I only want to receive notifications in the notification drop down list and most definitely do not want to be emailed, therefore I didn't check that option.

But this problem is not about notifications. I do get notifications BUT only after manually selecting "follow this topic" at the top of each thread. To make the problem worse, sometimes I do auto follow, sometimes I don't.

Are you saying that sometimes you activate auto follow for topics in which you participate and after some time you disactivate it, then after some time you activate it again, and so forth?

Are you saying that sometimes you activate auto follow for topics in which you participate and after some time you disactivate it, then after some time you activate it again, and so forth?

I'm set to auto-follow in notification preferences, however it doesn't always auto-follow after making a reply. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I usually have to manually check "follow this topic" at the top right corner of the threads I wish to follow, otherwise I will receive no notification that someone has replied to the topic.

post-34982-0-69921800-1435266662_thumb.p