MERS: Nine who were in proximity of Omani patient still to be found

webfact

MERS
Nine who were in proximity of patient still to be found

Poungchompoo Prasert
The Nation

30262976-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- NINE of the 163 people who were in close contact with the Omani patient diagnosed with Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) remain elusive, and the search for them is ongoing despite only a small chance of them having contracted the disease, Public Health Ministry deputy permanent secretary Surachet Satitramai said yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Health Service Support Department (HSSD) told private hospitals to deal properly with MERS-suspected patients and pass on such cases to the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute for monitoring.

Surachet said the nine untraceable people were a Thai taxi driver, six British nationals, one Swiss and one Italian who had boarded the same flight as the Omani patient. "The ministry has contacted the relevant embassies to seek their help in locating them," he said.

Reacting to news about two private hospitals denying treatment to patients suspected of having MERS, Public Health Minister Rajata Rajatanavin said the ministry's earlier meeting with more than 100 private hospitals had told them to deal with the patients properly. He said the ministry would soon inspect the hospitals to ensure proper implementation.

HSSD deputy director Tares Krassanairawiwong said that if private hospitals find a MERS suspect, they must call the ministry via the 1669 hotline to arrange the transfer of the patient. "If private hospitals do not apply this procedure, they may face punishment. We have already cautioned the two private hospitals who denied patients treatement; the MERS test results of the concerned persons was also negative, so I prefer not to say any more about it," Tares said.

About Thailand's sole MERS patient at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute, Rajata said the Omani would be declared safe if test results are negative twice within 14 days. The Omani's condition was much better and he could now move around by himself.

However, Surachet was still worried that his condition could be aggravated by his old age and his heart problem.

He also revealed that the three relatives of the Omani patient who have been quarantined did not have a fever or cough. They have been allowed to use the Internet and the Omani Embassy has also delivered them Omani food, but they will remain quarantined until July 2.

In related news, Fiscal Policy Office director-general Krisda Chinavicharana insisted yesterday that the Thai economy had not yet been affected by MERS, going by the number of tourist arrivals. He said that from June 18-21, air travellers' arrivals through Suvarnabhumi Airport increased by 57.8 per cent compared with the same period last year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Nine-who-were-in-proximity-of-patient-still-to-be--30262976.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-24

In the rush to assure there were no problems, least of all for tourism, wasn't there an assurance given that everyone had been traced ?

Now it's admitted that 9 people aren't accounted for but of course to have the last word it's added in that there's only a small chance of them having contracted MERS.

We can only hope that's completely accurate because if any of the 9 have the illness god only knows how many they have infected by now.

A forlorn hope but could Thai officialdom be more sure of their facts and think before rushing to speak, of course not, silly me !

Whilst the current problem of MERS is resolved (yeah right), despite the fact that they can't find the taxi driver, who is no doubt still picking up fares, and 8 foriegn nationals who could now be anywhere on the globe! The problem of the highly infectious epidemic of "Foot in Mouth" disease amongst Thai officials continues to spread.

In the rush to assure there were no problems, least of all for tourism, wasn't there an assurance given that everyone had been traced ?

Now it's admitted that 9 people aren't accounted for but of course to have the last word it's added in that there's only a small chance of them having contracted MERS.

We can only hope that's completely accurate because if any of the 9 have the illness god only knows how many they have infected by now.

A forlorn hope but could Thai officialdom be more sure of their facts and think before rushing to speak, of course not, silly me !

I've been following the news on BP, they never said all have been traced, BP have said some were still accounted for. Perhaps it was only on The Nation news?

what if you are too poor to face the hospital bills and deceide to take ur chances and possibly infect many dozens more ?

maybe the smart PM can come up with an idea that all costs would be paid by the governement in cases like this ?

The US CDC statement that MERS is not easily spread between Humans conflicts a bit with what happened in S. Korea. I know it was mostly hospital staff and patients, but I can't help to think that the MERS may be more easily spread than the CDC thinks. I mean according the definition "not easily spread" someone has to cough right into your mouth multiple times while you are vigorously and deeply inhaling. That does not really seem to be the case in S.Korea spread of the decease.

The CDC do state that the virus may mutate in the future and spread more easily among humans. Maybe the future is already here?

Edited by AlQaholic

I thought they had this all under control????? Guess not. But now i wonder just really how many more are out there that they DO NOT know about?

They cant control anything here, least of all a contagious disease - MERS will end up being a nightmare for the Lip Service department. I wonder how Ms. Popcorn will spin this ...cheesy.gif

...this is what they call 'under control'....

Thai style "Under control" as usual something gets muddled in translation !!

Quote:

Reacting to news about two private hospitals denying treatment to patients suspected of having MERS, Public Health Minister Rajata Rajatanavin said the ministry's earlier meeting with more than 100 private hospitals had told them to deal with the patients properly.

Hospital: Good morning Sir/Madam how may we rip you off?

Patient: I have a cough, headache, fever and difficulty breathing.

Hospital: Ok Sir that's not our specialty at the moment, what you need to do is go outside & ride the mass transit system to north of the city then take a taxi to such & such hospital, they will be able to assist you !!

Have a nice day Sir/madam enjoy your stay in the "land of smiles" Sawadee ka

Rather worrying !!